U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 20,636 times

Advertisements

genetics, stress and nutrition are main culprits after all the curable causes of balding are ruled out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:51 AM

331 posts, read 439,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Diet plays a big part in it, in most cases. Particularly certain proteins. There is plenty of evidence to support this. Google is your friend. Nice try though.
My coworker is obese and has hair like Novak Djokovic. Tons of homeless men have full heads of hair. Diet makes no difference.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM

13,734 posts, read 16,266,473 times
Quote:
. I'm 36 and have a full head of hair with zero hair loss.
36 with no hair loss? Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
36 with no hair loss? Pics or it didn't happen.

Look at Congressman Paul Ryan. He's 40-something and no hair loss. Same with Secretary of State John Kerry. Neither of those guys would be successful politicians if they were bald.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM

13,494 posts, read 29,444,231 times
I've always heard the baldness gene is inherited from the mother. Makes sense because my paternal grandmother has always had thin hair. My dad was balding in his mid 20s, but so far I still have a full head of hair at 35.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,164,426 times
Quote:
Nope. My Father was bald at 30. I'm 36 and have a full head of hair with zero hair loss.
Whats the difference between my father and I? I eat and drink very healthy for the most part. He didn't.
Nope. You mght have got the good genes from your mom's side. It's not linear.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
Quote:
Nope. My Father was bald at 30. I'm 36 and have a full head of hair with zero hair loss.
Whats the difference between my father and I? I eat and drink very healthy for the most part. He didn't.

very wrong. Healthy habits are always great but I don't think it saved your hair :P Genetics (and not linear genetic thinking like you are providing) rules. You can be the healthiest eater and a world class athlete and lose your hair if your genetic coding falls that way. Sure, if genetics were NOT against someone, then healthy patterns always help. But being healthy is not a sure-fire prevention against baldness at all. Genetics, genetics, genetics.

my dad's father was a drunk, ate terribly, smoked nonstop, never exercised or played sports in his life and had a full, black head of hair until he died.

My dad has stayed pretty active and eats fairly healthy, never smoked, and has rarely drank and lost his hair early. I stay very active (multiple sports, lifting, running), never smoked, drink socially (lightly), and eat very healthily and I lost my hair just as quickly as my dad.

Eating healthy has very little (if even anything) to do with it, especially if it is already written into your genes.

Last edited by jamiecta; 06-23-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
I believe there are some catalysts, not causes, of baldness or hair thinning today compared to ancient history. Think what everyone does on a daily basis...they use soap and other chemicals that were not in use in the ancient times on a daily basis, thus stripping your roots of protective oils. Your skin then goes into oil production mode, heavy oil production leads to stimulated DHT production within your hair follicle and is done via the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, it's the same reason people have oily skin on their face all the time (and thus more acne in the population).

Obviously it will be genetics, but I believe the above is a catalyst. In order to help the process I would recommend some natural cleaners (homemade stuff...google) and some saw palmetto supplements (which blocks the 5-alpha reductase). I have a rich head of hair, but I had to study this for biology in college.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 PM

741 posts, read 1,024,867 times
My husband lost his hair by 30. My son is four months and he has thick, wavey brown hair, I'm so obsessed with it, I need to spend time just fluffing his little head incase it goes the way of his father's hair.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
My husband lost his hair by 30. My son is four months and he has thick, wavey brown hair, I'm so obsessed with it, I need to spend time just fluffing his little head incase it goes the way of his father's hair.
It most likely will go the way of his dad's, but that doesn't matter because women think bald guys are sexy and confidence is what matters anyhow. Right? (*Sarcasm*)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or