U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 01:17 PM

291 posts, read 295,741 times

Advertisements

I think the reason the OP did not notice hair loss as much as a child was that she couldn't see the tops of people's heads as well as she can now.

I also agree that men today wear shorter hair during hair loss. They also wear fewer hats! To my mind, as a middle-aged woman, that's a good thing. Whether it's in a tidy ponytail or cut short, it looks way better if a man just owns his genetics and makes the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,225,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
It most likely will go the way of his dad's, but that doesn't matter because women think bald guys are sexy and confidence is what matters anyhow. Right? (*Sarcasm*)
Not trying to offend anyone, but bald guys look like giant babies to me.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM

20,353 posts, read 20,501,937 times
balding is primarily caused by wearing baseball caps and will be accelerated if the cap is worn at anything other than perfectly straight. I should know, I'm practically a scientist.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM

331 posts, read 441,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Not trying to offend anyone, but bald guys look like giant babies to me.
My family was watching a World Cup match yesterday and my mom remarked that one of the bald players looked like an alien. It kinda made me feel sad because I might go bald (I've receded in the temple regions a few inches) and if I do then my mom will be disgusted by the look of her son. I've heard my mom make many negative comments about bald men.

One time I was at a political conference with my dad (who has a good head of hair for his age) and we were talking to each of the prospective gubernatorial candidates. There was one candidate who we thought would make the best governor after talking to him. My dad says to me, "He's not going to be the candidate." "Why?" I ask. "Because he's bald. That's a huge disadvantage."

Last edited by const_iterator; 06-23-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM

7,992 posts, read 3,757,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Nope. My Father was bald at 30. I'm 36 and have a full head of hair with zero hair loss.
Whats the difference between my father and I? I eat and drink very healthy for the most part. He didn't.
I have not gone on to read to see if someone corrected the mistaken belief that the baldness trait is on the fathers side. In reality the research I read on this says it is from your mothers, father. So if grandpa on your moms side has a full head of hair, you are going to be fine. If he is bald or balding, you likely will too.

As to the OP's belief it is happening more often, that could be true. However I tend to think it is that hair styles have changed to where men are more likely to shave their heads than ever before. So instead of comb overs, toupees, or hairstyles that help to cover the area, men are just shaving it all off.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM

73,028 posts, read 64,529,432 times
They're not all balding by 40, OP. There are plenty of men who look great in their 50's, 60's and even into the 70's. You must be noticing it more than when you were younger.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM

832 posts, read 1,317,555 times
Some medications cause or accelerate hair loss, so I've heard. Any truth to this?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM

14,348 posts, read 12,617,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've always heard the baldness gene is inherited from the mother. Makes sense because my paternal grandmother has always had thin hair. My dad was balding in his mid 20s, but so far I still have a full head of hair at 35.
That holds true in my family.

My father was bald in his 20's {his brother too}, my brother is 59 and still has all his hair.

My mother's father and brothers were never bald, their hair just thinned a bit in their old age.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,225,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
My family was watching a World Cup match yesterday and my mom remarked that one of the bald players looked like an alien. It kinda made me feel sad because I might go bald (I've receded in the temple regions a few inches) and if I do then my mom will be disgusted by the look of her son. I've heard my mom make many negative comments about bald men.

One time I was at a political conference with my dad (who has a good head of hair for his age) and we were talking to each of the prospective gubernatorial candidates. There was one candidate who we thought would make the best governor after talking to him. My dad says to me, "He's not going to be the candidate." "Why?" I ask. "[I]Because he's bald. That's a huge disadvantage.[/i]"
That's just silly, just because they are bald doesn't in any way reflect how they will work. Balding will always have a negative light cast upon it due to it not being normal. Is there anything wrong with being bald? Hell no.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 PM

28,006 posts, read 46,441,551 times
I'm not alone on being bald these days because so many men are bald that can have hair but choice not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or