U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
 
331 posts, read 439,735 times
Reputation: 434

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That's just silly, just because they are bald doesn't in any way reflect how they will work. Balding will always have a negative light cast upon it due to it not being normal. Is there anything wrong with being bald? Hell no.
You completely missed the point of my post. My dad was saying that the bald guy was going to have a lot of trouble getting nominated because of subconscious biases against bald guys. Looks are everything in politics, and baldness looks bad. This guy was also on the shorter end. A short, bald guy has almost zero chance against a tall guy with a full head of hair; doesn't matter how their resumes compare.

Here's something to think about: Would Barack Obama have been elected President if he were bald? Photoshop him bald and see how he leaves a different impression on you. Something about baldness just equates with "bad" in our subconscious. Villains in Disney movies are usually bald while protagonists have full heads of hair.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2014, 04:48 PM
 
331 posts, read 439,735 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm not alone on being bald these days because so many men are bald that can have hair but choice not to.
So many bald guys could have hair if they wanted to? Ummmm .... no.

What you're probably talking about are guys with full heads of hair who shave it down short. That's not the same thing as being bald. For starters, the fact that they have the option makes it a more appealing style. If you were a woman and you don't like the guy's shaved head but think he's attractive otherwise, you might be inclined to date him because you know he can look good by a simple change in style, whereas a bald guy who might otherwise be attractive is going to be a bald guy no matter what. I would date Natalie Portman when she had her buzz cut (for that one sci-fi movie ... forgot the name) because I know she has the option of growing it out .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
You completely missed the point of my post. My dad was saying that the bald guy was going to have a lot of trouble getting nominated because of subconscious biases against bald guys. Looks are everything in politics, and baldness looks bad. This guy was also on the shorter end. A short, bald guy has almost zero chance against a tall guy with a full head of hair; doesn't matter how their resumes compare.

Here's something to think about: Would Barack Obama have been elected President if he were bald? Photoshop him bald and see how he leaves a different impression on you. Something about baldness just equates with "bad" in our subconscious. Villains in Disney movies are usually bald while protagonists have full heads of hair.
I disagree with your dad's point of view, I didn't miss anything, I just found it absurd and choose not to comment on it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,441,565 times
Reputation: 2347
My friends and I have also talked about how many young men in our gym have gone bald. That includes both the instructors and regular members.

An interesting link here talks about leading a stressful lifestyle nowadays as being a huge cause. There are a couple of other things also mentioned in the article.

Is being bald a detractor? We agree that it depends on the individual. On some it looks very, very good. So this is not something to generalize too much about.

Why men are balding in their 20s - The Times of India
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Reputation: 25856
I have noticed frighteningly thinning hair on women more than I have men.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Reputation: 19014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I have noticed frighteningly thinning hair on women more than I have men.
Maybe that's from abusing their hair with extensions, weaves, etc.?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 2,511,845 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
(on their head) My friend and I were talking about this today. We were talking about when we were growing up how our fathers and their peers weren't balding as quickly as it seems guys are now. It seems that young men in their 20's are starting to bald and by 40 they are ALL balding. We don't remember this about men we saw growing up. Has anyone else noticed this?
Probably perception and visibility more than anything. In the past hats were still common until they began waning as fashion statement in 1950s. Not that every man wore them but from visual perspective (advertising, photos, movies etc..) bald was not represented in a positive light.

My dad had full head of hair consistent until his death at 80, my mom's side had the bald gene. Her dad and brothers all lost the hair on top of head. My older brother started losing his around late 20s I started losing mine early 30s. I've noticed it seems those with the thick wavy hair when young seemingly tend to lose it (or at least it is most noticeable) more so than those with thinner hair to begin with or perhaps its my imagination or simply too small of sample set.

There is a new PR campaign needed for bald men! We conserve precious resources. We use less (on average) water bathing, washing hair, and all the accessory wasteful type items used on hair care. This means all those 'save the planet' women should be more desirous of bald men!

If I recall my biology correctly, bald men have higher testosterone levels as that is one of the contributing factors. It can be intimidating with certain physique and body type I guess (Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner, Vin Deisel, Michael Clarke Duncan). It's definitely better than a comb over!

Which always makes me reflect on Adolph Hitler. As such a despised individual, that rarely is the name Adolph given to children anymore - Why isn't the bad comb over considered as distasteful?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Reputation: 25856
I don't think so. It might for some women since all those procedures are hard on the head. But most I've known that have noticeably thinning hair don't do much to theirs besides color it. Mine's thinned out enough to scare me, and I've not been to a beauty salon in 42 years ~ seriously. My mom's hair thinned out to near-baldness when she was into her mid-70's but until then it was not noticeable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM
 
331 posts, read 439,735 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
My friends and I have also talked about how many young men in our gym have gone bald.
That's because a disproportionate number of gym rats are bald because bald guys have a lot of compensating to do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Reputation: 19014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Probably perception and visibility more than anything. In the past hats were still common until they began waning as fashion statement in 1950s. Not that every man wore them but from visual perspective (advertising, photos, movies etc..) bald was not represented in a positive light.

My dad had full head of hair consistent until his death at 80, my mom's side had the bald gene. Her dad and brothers all lost the hair on top of head. My older brother started losing his around late 20s I started losing mine early 30s. I've noticed it seems those with the thick wavy hair when young seemingly tend to lose it (or at least it is most noticeable) more so than those with thinner hair to begin with or perhaps its my imagination or simply too small of sample set.

There is a new PR campaign needed for bald men! We conserve precious resources. We use less (on average) water bathing, washing hair, and all the accessory wasteful type items used on hair care. This means all those 'save the planet' women should be more desirous of bald men!

If I recall my biology correctly, bald men have higher testosterone levels as that is one of the contributing factors. It can be intimidating with certain physique and body type I guess (Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner, Vin Deisel, Michael Clarke Duncan). It's definitely better than a comb over!

Which always makes me reflect on Adolph Hitler. As such a despised individual, that rarely is the name Adolph given to children anymore - Why isn't the bad comb over considered as distasteful?
Imagine the resources saved if men were into bald women! Now, THAT'S a lot of resources!

As far as high testosterone levels, it makes sense. Have you ever noticed that a lot of bald men have A LOT of body hair, even on their backs?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top