U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,510,937 times

Advertisements

It seems like more men start shaving their heads when they aren't completely bald. Men didn't do that when I was a kid, they just tried to be artful with combovers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 AM

1,401 posts, read 727,210 times
I'll be 34 next month. Around 25, I noticed that my temples were thinner than they used to be. Other than that, I haven't had to worry about my hair at all. Lucky me I guess.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 AM

211 posts, read 210,424 times
My father had a full haired head into his seventies, mother side they go bold in their forties. Younger brother was bold in his thirties, I have thin hear in late fifties and my eldest brother has a full haired head and he is 60 years old.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 AM

681 posts, read 540,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I'll be 34 next month. Around 25, I noticed that my temples were thinner than they used to be. Other than that, I haven't had to worry about my hair at all. Lucky me I guess.

I don't think it is all down to luck. I and some others believe it is related to how healthy your lifestyle and diet is. If you consistently lack micronutrients and other vitamins in your diet, you may get more grey hair and possibly hair loss as well. If one has a diet devoid of fat soluble vitamins, zinc, Iodine, Selenium, magnesium and other nutrients and our body / hair requires, perhaps our bodies will prioratize leaving the less essential areas for last. Given the depletion of minerals in our soil compared to long ago, perhaps that's a factor as well.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
I don't think it is all down to luck. I and some others believe it is related to how healthy your lifestyle and diet is. If you consistently lack micronutrients and other vitamins in your diet, you may get more grey hair and possibly hair loss as well. If one has a diet devoid of fat soluble vitamins, zinc, Iodine, Selenium, magnesium and other nutrients and our body / hair requires, perhaps our bodies will prioratize leaving the less essential areas for last. Given the depletion of minerals in our soil compared to long ago, perhaps that's a factor as well.
Once again, while it may play a role, it is overstated. I have lived a healthy lifestyle nearly my entire life and am a BIG advocate of eating healthy and staying active (it's a major problem with our modern society, especially in America).

My mom is a nurse and went back to get her BS in nutrition. My dad was a strength and conditioning coach at my high school for wrestling (not as a job but as volunteering). I have been active and perhaps more importantly eating pretty healthy my entire life.

My wife and I are both big on making sure we get a very well-rounded diet. I will say that my wife eats no meat and I stopped eating meat on a regular basis 4 years ago. (I'll eat it from local restaurants where the meat came locally), but that is a fairly recent change and I was losing my hair before then. I also do not and have never taken any sort of artificial supplements for lifting or anything. I think I have gotten 2 colds in the past 7 years, have never taken a sick day since starting here 7 years ago, weigh the same as I did when I was 17 (12 years ago), and still lift just as much if not more in some categories. I consider myself pretty healthy and am fortunate to be in such great health.

Yet, I still started losing my hair in my 20s and will probably shave it soon. My dad lost his hair. My mom's dad lost his hair (most guys on her side of the family went bald). But guess who kept all his hair? My dad's dad who smoked and was an alcoholic, ate terribly and never exercised. When I started losing my hair, I raced straight online to read about natural remedies. All the diets and important nutrients and vitamins people recommended on the various forums were *already a part of my regular diet*. I avoided rogaine or propecia because I did not want to be taking medicine the rest of my life just to try and keep my hair.

So, while I completely advocate people eating healthy and staying active, it frankly annoys me when someone who was genetically lucky enough to still have hair thinks they have kept it because they live healthier than I do. It gets a big old eye-roll from me.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM

331 posts, read 440,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
I don't think it is all down to luck. I and some others believe it is related to how healthy your lifestyle and diet is.
If you could prove that a proper diet and lifestyle could prevent Male Pattern Baldness in those who were disposed to it, then you would win a Nobel Prize. If you could prove that a certain pharmaceutical compound prevented MPB, then you would be a billionaire in addition to winning a Nobel Prize.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
If you could prove that a proper diet and lifestyle could prevent Male Pattern Baldness in those who were disposed to it, then you would win a Nobel Prize. If you could prove that a certain pharmaceutical compound prevented MPB, then you would be a billionaire in addition to winning a Nobel Prize.
amen.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM

20,982 posts, read 15,296,258 times
When I was in high school, I had long bangs that went down to my eyes. When I was 19-20, I decided to wear my hair short, and noticed my hairline appeared to go back. It hasn't gone back since then, but then again, I haven't attempted to grow my hair out that long.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,750,312 times
Mine below, in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
My family was watching a World Cup match yesterday and my mom remarked that one of the bald players looked like an alien. It kinda made me feel sad because I might go bald (I've receded in the temple regions a few inches) and if I do then my mom will be disgusted by the look of her son. I've heard my mom make many negative comments about bald men.

IF you do go bald and you feel that your mom is 'disgusted by the look of her son', be sure thank her for passing along the gene for Male Pattern Baldness. This gene is passed down from the Mother's gene set, an and is on the X chromosome (fathers contribute the Y chromosome). This is simple genetics (well, maybe not simple, but genetics, nonetheless.

If a woman wants to know if that cute 20-something guy that she met is going to keep a full head of hair, then she should meet her brothers before getting too serious... If they each have a shiny dome, you can bet that her son is likely to inherit the same gene...

One time I was at a political conference with my dad (who has a good head of hair for his age) and we were talking to each of the prospective gubernatorial candidates. There was one candidate who we thought would make the best governor after talking to him. My dad says to me, "He's not going to be the candidate." "Why?" I ask. "Because he's bald. That's a huge disadvantage."

Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM

13,760 posts, read 16,283,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
It seems like more men start shaving their heads when they aren't completely bald. Men didn't do that when I was a kid, they just tried to be artful with combovers, etc.
True. I think there are good come overs and bad come overs. When I see a shaved head I assume he's balding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or