Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yeah, I think it's just based on their fathers & grandfathers.

I knew quite a few guys who were balding by high school graduation. They knew it and would always wear caps as a result.

Someone else mentioned race, but yeah, more of a Caucasian thing from what I've seen. Not saying it's the rule, but kinda fits my observations. Hispanic and Asian men tend to have thicker hair into their older years. Again, NOT the rule nor does it apply to all, simply an observation

But if a guys dad or grandfather began to bald at a young age they will likely bald at an early age as well.
I have seen studies in the past that say the baldness comes from the mother....

Blame Male Pattern Baldness on Mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Genetics does play a role as well as diet. I've seen some HS graduation pictures and these are boys 17-19 yrs old and many of them already shows signs of receding hairline and even premature balding already.

During my days in HS, I have never even seen one person with a receding hairline as commonly seen today.

This points to diet as a major factor imo than strictly genetics. It can't be all of a sudden all of our mothers have balding genes.

Balding is also a sign that a person has a higher risk of having heart related diseases. See the connection with diet?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have seen studies in the past that say the baldness comes from the mother....

Blame Male Pattern Baldness on Mom?
I'm unhappy to see old, disproven claims posted here. Hair loss comes from both sides. Recent research said it's only slightly more heritable from the mother's side.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm unhappy to see old, disproven claims posted here. Hair loss comes from both sides. Recent research said it's only slightly more heritable from the mother's side.
When I look it up, different studies state that it comes from the maternal grandfather. Do you have a link to show me that that is disproven? Nothing came up for me.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I could find something better if I looked harder, but I'm content to post this.
Top 10 Hair Loss Myths Debunked | Hair Loss Facts | Bernstein Medical

Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Genetics does play a role as well as diet. I've seen some HS graduation pictures and these are boys 17-19 yrs old and many of them already shows signs of receding hairline and even premature balding already.

During my days in HS, I have never even seen one person with a receding hairline as commonly seen today.
Like I said already, I'm sure kids wore their hair longer during your high school days. With long hair, a guy whose hairline has receded to a Norwood-3 (see chart below) can still look like he has a full head of hair.

Last edited by const_iterator; 07-05-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Men go bald at the same rate as in years' past.

The difference is that back then, men wore comb-overs (think Joe Biden) or toupee's (think Marv Albert). I have several coworkers in their 20's and 30's whose hairlines receded so much, they shaved their heads. Younger men have no qualms about shaving their heads whereas older men...older Gen Xers and Baby Boomers seem content to keep the hair around their temples.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
The only one who was bald in my family was my maternal grandfather. Then i started balding in my late 20s. Unlike most balding guys it hasnt bothered me at all for some reason. I just get my hair buzzed very short. As shocking as this would be to many, i attract more women now than when i was a young men with a full head of hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty