Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM

17 posts, read 65,068 times

Advertisements

I'm having a really hard time shaving - even with a brand new blade and I've tried gel, foam and cream type shaving aides, the pain is almost unbearable and I'm thinking of switching to an electric shaver like the 790cc from Braun or the Panasonic Pro-Curve. Has anyone else had a problem with shaving really thick coarse facial hair and what would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,914,952 times
Have you ever tried shaving in the shower?

Get one of those mirrors for the shower that don't fog up, and give that a shot. The hair is softer when it's moist, so it might help.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,208,796 times
You won't get a close shave with those electric and for some guys that makes it itchy on the neck. So if you do get one of those make sure you can return it. That brawn you linked does get pretty close and it so neat when you plug in the little bottom unit and it cleans itself. The person I knew that used that had pale skin, dark hair, but was not very old so he did not have a serious man beard thick roughness going on.

I just got this for the s.o. for xmas and he LOVES it:

Sephora: The Art of Shaving The 4 Elements of the Perfect Shave™ Starter Kit - Unscented: Gift Ideas & Sets

He uses a gillette whatever that 4 or 5 blade Mach whatever it is with it.
Even when I scrape the back of my hand on his face,no buzzy brush burn after this. Usually its very scratchy enough to give brush burn to my face accidently.

They have a sample kit for free currently:
Sephora: Beauty, Skin Care, Makeup, Hair, & Fragrance

You have to order something but maybe someone wants something from there in your house?

I would say the kit is well worth the 25 bucks though. I got him unscented so I don't know how strong the sandlewood version is. The prep step (oil) really softens. The final moisture step takes a final sweep on that and took away any lingering roughness.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,642,968 times
Shave in the shower. It'll make your life a thousand times easier.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,180,922 times
I've never tried shaving in the shower, but I do normally shave right out of the shower. Gel or foamy doesn't make much difference to me, but I think gel is a little slicker. Unfortunately, it also builds up in my drain, so I've gone back to the foamy. Whichever one you use, apply a wet, hot washcloth to your face immediately before it unless you've just stepped out of the shower.

I'm happy with Gillette Mach III, but I've heard good things about Mach IV too. Big improvements in blades over the last 50 years! Just huge!! Just change often, before the blade(s) starts getting dull or gets nicks in it.

I've tried electric razors but could never get a close shave on my neck.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,889,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoodie View Post
I'm having a really hard time shaving - even with a brand new blade and I've tried gel, foam and cream type shaving aides, the pain is almost unbearable and I'm thinking of switching to an electric shaver like the 790cc from Braun or the Panasonic Pro-Curve. Has anyone else had a problem with shaving really thick coarse facial hair and what would you suggest?
I dont think I have course hair, but maybe I dont and dont know it. My shaving "kit" consists of:

1. Gillette Mach Three Turbo razor with three blades.
2. L'Occitane CADE shaving cream.
3. L'Occitane CADE after shave lotion/cream/balm.

I always shave after a hot hot shower. I lather again with soap and water, rinse, then when face is still wet, apply the shaving cream, shave with the Mach 3, then apply the CADE after shave cream.

About 5 minutes after the after shave cream, I apply whatever cologne Im wearing that day same brand/scent aftershave scent as well. Ive never had a problem with this setup. Maybe you should try it.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,571,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoodie View Post
I would suggest growing a beard.

Every time I've tried though, my skin dries out, almost like chapped lips, or dandruff, but it's the skin that flakes off. If I shave it off, it clears up, until I let it go again and start getting a beard going.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,704,559 times
Shave in the shower with a Mach 3 and any gel. No problems.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM

84 posts, read 195,706 times
I shave in the shower without looking, I just got used to it, I know how hard to press so I won't bleed

Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,196 times
Norelco Senso touch 3d and gel shaving cream works great for me. I get a close shave and no cuts.
I have been shaving for 50 years and have a few moles. This is the best electric shaver I have used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty