Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,721,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL!

Jumpers in the US = overalls or rompers
neither of these photos are jumper overalls.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,199,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I hate the everything-sleeveless craze that has been around for years. I think it looks frumpy and women are always freezing everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Adverts on clothing..... ankle boots with toes cut out.. horrible....frills on dresses or this peplum thing round the waist...
What ever happened to a simple dress with short sleeves?
additions;
sundresses that are way too long and require 3-4 inch heels (otherwise you risk tripping over them)
wearing Ugg Boots when it's hot outside and flip flops when it's freezing
Handbags with bling (studs, gold chains, zippers as decoration)
Ed Hardy
Bedazzled crap
Holiday sweaters;
http://cdn-s3-2.wanelo.com/product/i...58491/x354.jpg

http://cdn.garnetreport.com/wp-conte...er-496x620.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...00ae21fcdd.jpg

Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,011,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I hate jumpers, dresses with added necklaces or brooches attached, its as if the makers think we cant choose a bit of jewellery for ourselves.. even over embellished dresses and sweaters.
I agree - with some exceptions - I just bought a blouse from J.Crew that had a simple rhinestone embellishment right under the front neckline (in the middle)...it makes the blouse .

I often buy clothing at Talbots but this summer's clothing line is often hideous - they have cotton knit t-shirts with plastic bead embellishments - really cheap and dated looking. Most of their dresses have no style or detailing. I am just under 5'9" yet all of their size 2/4 skirts are too short for me ( I guess they figure if you wear a 2 you are not tall) - they are not only short but they have big slits up the back (the slit hems are trimmed down to almost nothing so even if the skirt itself has a hem that could be let down - the slit hem cannot). Their customer base is women over 50 so I don't get the skirt length or the big slits. End of Talbot's rant.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Flip-flops on anyone. Sandals on men. I don't want to see people's feet.
Pregnant women "showing off" that they're pregnant. Gross.

There was a time not long ago when women wore gloves and hosiery and men wore dress hats (which they took OFF when they entered a building). Sad commentary on how society has become so unrefined.
I live where it is very warm in the summer - beautifully maintained and manicured feet are pretty (to me) and there are some very nice flip-flops (not the cheap rubber ones) that are very comfortable. I have beautiful and expensive backless sandals that I wear with nice summer pant outfits - I would look ridiculous (and be miserable) wearing closed toe shoes.

People who live in hot humid weather do not wear hosiery or gloves - sorry. That doesn't mean that they are not well groomed or that they don't wear beautiful, appropriate clothing - when it is 95 and humid you wear lightweight cotton shifts, nice capris, long shorts with crisp short-sleeve blouses and sandals.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-28-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
What ever happened to a simple dress with short sleeves?
additions;
sundresses that are way too long and require 3-4 inch heels (otherwise you risk tripping over them)
wearing Ugg Boots when it's hot outside and flip flops when it's freezing
Handbags with bling (studs, gold chains, zippers as decoration)
Ed Hardy
Bedazzled crap
Holiday sweaters;
http://cdn-s3-2.wanelo.com/product/i...58491/x354.jpg

http://cdn.garnetreport.com/wp-conte...er-496x620.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...00ae21fcdd.jpg
I love the cotton golf dresses - I have many of them - Ralph Lauren and Talbot's - so cute, cool and perfect for summer.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM

50,134 posts, read 63,553,972 times
I hate shopping because I'm tall, with a long torso. Most dresses are too short waisted and too short, long sleeves are too short, and pants are both too short in the rise and too short in the legs. Also, my top is a size smaller than my bottom, so that causes trouble too.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:05 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
In Canada, a jumper is a dress with straps.
Hey, I like jumpers!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,041,144 times
Default Clothes That Put You Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
In Canada, a jumper is a dress with straps.
In the U.S., a jumper is a dress with straps also. I believe in England, a jumper is a sweater.

Personally, I don't like anything paisley print or with bling on it. I can add my own choice of bling if I want to. In fact, I rarely wear prints. Stripes and gingham are OK, but I dislike all those floral prints. They remind me of something my grandmother used to wear.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM

18,464 posts, read 18,618,896 times
Patterned tights.... especially ones that are tartan ... dont like them at all , and even back in the 60s we had diamond mesh nylons and I didnt like them either..

Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,381,447 times
I hate the feel of heavy fabric. Even when it's subzero winter, I prefer materials that are designed to be thermal but lightweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty