U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I can only see it on jackets that can turn into vests. But I think the current solution is attaching straps and buttons to blouse sleeves in order to keep rolled up sleeves in place.
For guys, we have long sleeve shirts which can be rolled up into short sleeves and buttoned to stay in place, but the bunching of cloth halfway through your arm feels very uncomfortable . Material for men's shirts are a lot thicker though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,390,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
what's with the short, heavy older women in capri pants/clamdiggers?

Those really only look good on tall, slim ladies or well-proportioned petites, imo
If you don't mind my asking...what do you think "short, heavy older women" would look better in?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
OK, and what is your thought on detachable sleeves for tops. I would really like to see this as a common option in women's clothing. It eliminates layering for chillness entirely. If you intend to be the kind of gal who dresses for utility, this option is very convenient.
If they could be done stylishly, and so you can't see the buttons/zipper/whatever, I'd be willing to try those! Especially since I have upper-arm tattoos, it would be neat to go sleeveless at the beach etc, then pop on sleeves if I had to do something less "casual" later. Interesting idea.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
what's with the short, heavy older women in capri pants/clamdiggers?

Those really only look good on tall, slim ladies or well-proportioned petites, imo
I'm guessing it's a way to stay cool without doing shorts or a short skirt, as those would (in their opinion, at least) look even less flattering. Also, women who are VERY short have issues with normal pants. My mother is only 5'2" and 130-ish lbs, and even the petite pants have to be hemmed - so she'll often buy capris in regular size (which end up going to her ankles), or say "screw it" and get petite capris. She's lazy about tailoring, which is probably where I got that trait too.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm guessing it's a way to stay cool without doing shorts or a short skirt, as those would (in their opinion, at least) look even less flattering. Also, women who are VERY short have issues with normal pants. My mother is only 5'2" and 130-ish lbs, and even the petite pants have to be hemmed - so she'll often buy capris in regular size (which end up going to her ankles), or say "screw it" and get petite capris. She's lazy about tailoring, which is probably where I got that trait too.
Gizmo, you hit the nail on the head, with the capris. It's tough for shorter, stout-built women, to find pants the right length and hey, it's OPTIONS..they have so few, they grab the capris option.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If they could be done stylishly, and so you can't see the buttons/zipper/whatever, I'd be willing to try those! Especially since I have upper-arm tattoos, it would be neat to go sleeveless at the beach etc, then pop on sleeves if I had to do something less "casual" later. Interesting idea.
I am guessing you are used to the weather there but in my opinion Bay Area Shoreline is very cold for regular beachwear. I needed a jacket while visiting the coast in July because of how damp and nippy it was. Very different experience from Long Island and NJ shore.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Here's a clue: Short, heavy, older women, whatever their weight, wear capri pants because that's the option. I'm not about to wear Daisy Dukes. It's Summer and while the battle rages on about whether or not it's appropriate for women of a certain age to wear certain garments, let me assure you that you wouldn't want to see most of us in shorts. And slacks are of a heavier material that is too warm in the hot months.

It has little to do with looking "trendy". I've never been one to follow the fashion, but the classics I had in my closet are pretty much worn out because I wore them for years. They are very hard to replace because garment manufacturers push their "styles" on everyone to the exclusion of good taste.

The "older" women I see in capris are generally clean, pressed, and covered up. No whale's tails or bra straps showing. And most wear sneakers or a comfortable shoe - for stability.

And when we go to church, or a funeral, or a wedding, or to work for those of us who still do, we dress in dresses, suits, hosiery and dress shoes. Youngsters call this look "dowdy". Maybe they don't know their class from a hole in the ground.

As to the question, I think sleeveless turtle-neck shirts are bizarre. I think wearing Doc Martin's with a dress or shorts is strange. Uggs with shorts; flip-flops anywhere except the beach; sleeves that cover the hands; slacks with no pockets, and sizes that bear no relation to the human body.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
If you don't mind my asking...what do you think "short, heavy older women" would look better in?
the state of maine.....you'd be in good company

Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,272,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the state of maine.....you'd be in good company
Stop that! You just made me burst out laughing.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Hate rear pockets in pants. On men, fine (maybe because it's a necessity for them).
Properly placed (and shaped) rear pockets make your butt look better. Particularly in jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or