U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM

26,885 posts, read 28,188,703 times

Advertisements

My favorite is when I am talking to people roughly my age and I'll mention an age appropriate reference. And then the person is like "you aren't old enough to know about that!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:42 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,108,201 times
There was a show called Waiting for God in the early nineties. The main female character was only 49 when it started,but looked like a much older woman. Compare her to a modern day 49 year old woman.

The women on Golden Girls looked much older compared to women their age now . Look at the show Hot in Cleveland. They look much younger in comparison. These are their ages at the start of their shows.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm21696025...mi_all_pbl_16#

Bea Arthur- 63
Betty white-63
Rue mcclanahan-51

VS

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2720768/..._=ttmd_md_nxt#

Valerie Bertinelli-50
Jane leaves- 49
Wendy malick- 60

I think people are comparing what people used to look like at certain ages and what they look like now at certain ages.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-30-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,833,895 times
I know a lot of people who look much younger than their age and I have met a lot of people who look way older than their age (usually drugs, smoking, drinking).

Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM

877 posts, read 1,027,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Personally i think its the opposite. People do a lot of times look younger than their age and those who do look their age try to bring the rest of us down. Its like "everyone i know looks younger than their age and it isnt fair"
LOL of course you think it's the opposite. Everyone on here thinks they look my age (which is what some of you guys are claiming to look at 30+)

And never said it's impossible, but there are very few who look that much younger. Some people look good for their age, but 10-15 years younger? No. Not all that common.

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 06-30-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 02:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,374,603 times
Hahhaha yep.

I've got "that thick wrinkle proof skin" (to quote a friend) and about 3 months ago I was at a funeral with another friend. She's 55 and I'm 49 and IMAGINE the surprise when one of the staff asked if I was her daughter.

Not even physically possible.

I was happy and she was....SILENT.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,019,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by very84 View Post
it's possible to look like you're 18/20 at age 30?? (somatic traits, skin) .
What do you think about it?
That was the case with me. But really, people who look younger than they are have ALWAYS looked younger. They have never looked their age. People who genuinely look 10 or more years younger are actually very rare.

There's no such thing as someone who looked their age when they were young (teens/20s) but then started "looking younger" as the years went by.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM

7,923 posts, read 7,276,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
That was the case with me. But really, people who look younger than they are have ALWAYS looked younger. They have never looked their age. People who genuinely look 10 or more years younger are actually very rare.

There's no such thing as someone who looked their age when they were young (teens/20s) but then started "looking younger" as the years went by.

I have to disagree, as a child, I looked more mature because of body development, but then by teens and up through late 20's pretty much looked my age, but there was a brief period between my mid 30's-50's my age was always difficult for most people to get right. Now I look my age and sometimes older, but it didn't happen till just the past couple of years in my opinion and I do believe it's due to all the meds I've had to endure.

I'll just say, looking younger has never been of importance to me, I'm just commenting, because of what you said in the part I highlighted.

Once I was at a house party with a group of people I would get together with frequently, there's this one lady that really used to shoot daggers toward me with her eyes, never ever would say hello, very possessive of her hubby as if someone was going to try to steal him. I guess she finally got around to asking the hostess about me and found out my age, suddenly I became her new best friend. She came over to me and started gushing over me and how old I was and how much she hated (affectionately,) black women for never aging and on and on, where did you get that dress and on and on it went. She was so happy to learn I was I guess some 15-20 years older than she pegged me. You've never seen a person so happy to learn that I was out of the age range of whatever.

Another time, group organizer was taking pictures for our group's website/brochure, we took a few shots. It was just me and the man's wife left, he asked the wife to step out of the shot because he wanted to show that the group had younger people in the group because we should be trying to recruit more young folks. The wife and I were pretty close in age; not sure if I wasn't even older than her. she was devastated.

This isn't me bragging, this is just to say, I've had many such instances, so for myself I know that statement wasn't true for a time. unfortunately the last few years are not being so kind. the more I trim the edges of my hair line, the more little greys seem to want to replace the brown that used to grow in. LOL I should have left well enough alone and chose to let side burns grow in since it was still growing in brown.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,212,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
LOL of course you think it's the opposite. Everyone on here thinks they look my age (which is what some of you guys are claiming to look at 30+)

And never said it's impossible, but there are very few who look that much younger. Some people look good for their age, but 10-15 years younger? No. Not all that common.
So at the end of the day what does it matter? Are you losing sleep over it? Do you want everyone over the age of 30 to go lay in a tanning bed for 3 hours a day so that theyll look more their age? Idk why it affects you in any way that some people in the world look younger than you or others of the same age.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM

23,957 posts, read 31,170,350 times
I was carded for 21 when I was 30. Constantly.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:17 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,294,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My favorite is when I am talking to people roughly my age and I'll mention an age appropriate reference. And then the person is like "you aren't old enough to know about that!"
LOL! My 21 year old coworker told me that when she first saw me in the office she was glad that there was someone in the office who was younger than her. I had to burst her bubble and tell her that I'm actually not even in her generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or