U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 PM

164 posts, read 151,432 times

Advertisements

This woman is 45 going on 46. Her skin with makeup off is that of a 20 something year old. Yes. It's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 AM

71 posts, read 48,091 times
yes of course as long as you always take care of yourself plus factor if your a babyface.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 AM

14,491 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Everyone looks their age, or closer to their age at around that time. I've known women who at 45 or 50 still looked absurdly young. By the 60's, though, hormone changes catch up with everyone, male and female, it seems. A few weather that pretty well, but they still have greying hair or some other sign of their real age. In my observation.
greying hair can start as a teenager I once knew a girl of 17 with broad streaks of white at the sides , it wasa trait of her family.. Im 67 and still have very dark brown hair.. so we cant go with that either... My husband has been nearly white haired since his late thirties.. its just genetic.... What I do notice is that I look tired now ... I hate it..

Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM

479 posts, read 631,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
It's not impossible, but most people do not look younger than their age (despite everyones claims to).

Society has warped views on what a 30, 40 or 50+ year old should look like, so when people see you aren't a shriveled up prune, it's "you look younger than your age."

Or women think it's a compliment when they're ID'ed at bars or grocery stores. Hello, anyone who has worked a cash register can tell you the register needs a specific DOB or year in order to sell whatever it may be.
I used to work in a bar. The first piece of advice I always got was to card older people. As it would bring in tips. Usually it does. Mostly, with women. Men don't seem phased.

Some people do look naturally young. I think it depends on race and genetics. In general, white/fair people tend to age poorly.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 AM

9,483 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Genetics is huge. My mom, myself, my daughter all victims of the "is your mom home honey? babyface" syndrome. I used to get that until I was nearly thirty. DD is mid twenties and still gets it.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM

479 posts, read 631,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
That was the case with me. But really, people who look younger than they are have ALWAYS looked younger. They have never looked their age. People who genuinely look 10 or more years younger are actually very rare.

There's no such thing as someone who looked their age when they were young (teens/20s) but then started "looking younger" as the years went by.
While I agree with the first part. I think it's possible to look younger as you as age, but by comparison. I also think make up and clothes can fool people. I'm 36. I wear make up and professional clothes to work and can pass for 40. I have a friend who is 40 and she doesn't wear make up and wears t-shirt and jeans/sweats a teenager would wear. People always assume she is 30 and I'm 40. When I went to the gym with her in no make up and sweats, everyone would would act like I was 20s.

I think size fools people, too. My grandmother was like 4'10. Everyone thought she was the cutest little thing and "young". Despite being a smoker with a smoker face. Being small, she able to wear a lot of things made for kids/teens. People let her size and clothes fool them. Just as I remember, having a young face but always being the tallest girl in my class. People would act like that made me older. There were girls who had older faces, but because they were shorter and wore cuter clothes (I aged out children's clothes fast), they were perceived as younger than me.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,692,844 times
This thread just proves that there are many factors that make someone look younger or older than their true age. It is also not just how someone looks and dresses, but how they move. If an older person is very fit they will move like a much younger person. Same with good posture. So overall for instance if a 60 year old woman is very fit, good figure, stands tall, moves fluidly, dresses in flattering clothes and wears a bit of makeup, she is going to appear a lot younger than someone who is slouchy, wears sweats and no makeup, and kind of shuffles along, etc. Same for men.

For myself, when I was very young and through my teens I always looked older, because I was very tall for my age and developed early. But once I got into my 20s people always guessed my age younger, and still do now that I am in my 60s. Part genetics, part lifestyle. For me, fitness plays a big part.

I also agree with those who say Asians and small-built people in general fool people into believing they are younger. I have a doctor friend (male) in his early 40s who is short and slight build, and he appears extremely boyish. I guess this can be good or bad, I don't think he is happy about it.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 AM

64 posts, read 55,992 times
In high school, I looked like I belonged in college. In college (the first time), I looked my age. When I went back to finish my degree, my classmates were usually shocked to find that I was over thirty. Most people I meet now assume that I'm in my mid-to-late twenties. Might have to do with the wild curly hair, the smooth skin (fat's good for something, people!), scant makeup and the tendency to wear what I consider age-neutral clothing. Jeans, plain tops, simple jewelry, etc. I guess people assume that a woman my age would flat-iron her hair, wear more makeup and dress better.

Sooooo..... being broke keeps me young?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 PM

31 posts, read 26,934 times
I went to the movies with my husband the other day and this girl wouldnt let me in the film because it was for 15+... Im 29. I do think I look young but not that much, I mean maybe 20, 21 but certainly not 15 or younger. It might be because im only 4'11 maybe? But yes its possible.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 PM

459 posts, read 509,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by very84 View Post
it's possible to look like you're 18/20 at age 30?? (somatic traits, skin) .
What do you think about it?
way easy my mom stopped looking 18 when she was about 35... She's 40 and looks to be around my age in her twenties. I look about 16 irl right now I'm not that much older 20 years old now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or