Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by very84 View Post
it's possible to look like you're 18/20 at age 30?? (somatic traits, skin) .
What do you think about it?
Nope. It's easy to tell, too. Once you're past 18-20, no way to look those ages again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Nope. It's easy to tell, too. Once you're past 18-20, no way to look those ages again.
When I was 24 my perceived age was about 19. At 27 it was more like 22. By the time I hit 30 it ranged from 24-27. Now at 36, people do not perceive me as 30. It's more like 27. It would change if I wore different clothes though. Hoodie and jeans? I drop to 24.

If you don't have lines or greys you can stay in your 20s for a long time.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
I was with my 32 year old friend and someone asked if i was her daugther
2 years ago i was told i looked 15 by my eye doctor! when my mom (who was with me) told her my age she was about to die

im 31 by the way, and people never believe me when i say it
most think im around 24

Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by very84 View Post
it's possible to look like you're 18/20 at age 30?? (somatic traits, skin) .
What do you think about it?
I'm 30 but most people guess early 20's. I have a 34-y.o. friend who legit looks 16 or 18.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
I'm in my early 30s and get senior discounts Jelly?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
These types of threads usually have the "most people think", "lots of people say I look" type of comments. Really, people who see you often (co-workers, family, friends, neighbors) know your general age. So, is it that everyone you come in contact with just starts commenting on your looks and age?

How often can this be happening? Seriously?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
These types of threads usually have the "most people think", "lots of people say I look" type of comments. Really, people who see you often (co-workers, family, friends, neighbors) know your general age. So, is it that everyone you come in contact with just starts commenting on your looks and age?

I tend to meet a lot of new people. Co-workers generally don't ask your age, but in every job someone has made comment along the lines of "you're too young to know about that."

Strangers tend to talk to me often. A known trait of mine is that I always make new "friends" wherever I go. If you are running late and we are supposed to meet, the odds are at least 50% I'll have a new acquaintance before you arrive.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 PM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
I think stress is the number 1 contributing factor to aging & premature aging. I've done a lot of detrimental things in my early life--from smoking & excessive drinking to being hooked on soft & hard drugs--yet people have always told me I look young for my age, even recently a few years ago.

It's possible it could be partly genetic, but I haven't gotten any wrinkles, gray hair or balding yet (knock on wood. I'm 43), so I think it mostly has to do with less stress than most people experience.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been a daydreamer and get so relaxed that I people think I'm on sedatives even when I'm not. I go into trances/daydreams a lot no matter where I am, even sometimes when walking on the street which is dangerous. Maybe my brain is constantly producing endorphins?

I also avoid stressful situations which is why I have a record of quitting jobs that become too stressful. I've walked out on some jobs without giving the required weeks of notice because they weren't worth the stress to me. Financial problems are sometimes stressful, but I handle it a lot better than other situations, and I don't have the responsibilities of supporting a wife or kids or the stresses other single people have about attraction or dating ever since I discovered I'm asexual in my mid 20s.

I only turned to a healthy eating lifestyle at age 27, so I'm inclined to believe what a person ingests isn't as much important as it is to avoid stressful situations.

Being skinny and wearing teen-sized clothes also might contribute to making me look younger than my age because I noticed when my sister lost her extra weight, recently, the weight loss caused her to look a lot younger. I noticed the same with some other people who were overweight then lost the extra weight, but since my sister is related to me, I think her dramatic difference in appearance after the weight loss is more comparable for me (even though I'm male).

Old 07-19-2014, 12:03 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post

For me it's people who ask my age and doctors & nurses during hospital visits. I've been interrogated for suspected identity theft by people representing the hospital I go to, and I often get quizzed about my birth date and other information by hospital staff when I visit the hospital because some don't believe my age and think I'm using someone else's identity.

Also, when I used to smoke & drink in my early years and up until I quit smoking at age 27, I always got carded. More recently, a couple of years ago, a girl who looked 20-something who I was having a conversation with was acting like she was interested in me, so I backed out of being talkative. I think she might have thought I was about her age but age never came up in our conversation. Usually, though, it's gay men who try to pick me up and who get surprised when I tell them my age.

Last edited by 3rdGen SFan; 07-19-2014 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
I am in my mid 50's and most people think I'm in my early to mid forties, sometimes I even get late 30's. My father is 92 and doesn't look or act his age. I took a great deal after him and I also look like him.
I have never used any expensive creams for my face or body. I avoid using soap on my face, (haven't used soap on face since I was 14), somehow I knew I shouldn't (It also left my face dry). I also avoid using shower gels, and supermarket shampoos. The more 'natural' the shampoo, the better.
I use MAC makeup and remove it with Pond's Cold Creme. I use the same creme as a moisturizer after taking makeup off.
I have never had any plastic surgery, but I've done Microdermabrasion twice in the last five years (honestly, it didn't even make that much of a difference and one needs to maintain it by having the procedure done over again, a few times a year.
I personally believe it's all in the genes. No amount of skin cream can reverse or adequately slow or stop ageing effectively.
We may see temporary results when first applying the anti ageing products, but they are temporary and don't work that well from what I've witnessed with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty