U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:53 PM
 
479 posts, read 631,370 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

Another topic got my thinking about my mom's mother who was 64 when she died, but would still wear children's clothes, because she 4'10 and about 80lbs. On the other hand, I grew up to be 5'9. I aged into adult sized clothes when I was about 8. I was already like 5'3 and 120lbs. I've been wearing adult clothes ever since. How old were you when you stopped wearing children's clothes? Can you still wear them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
 
1,894 posts, read 3,702,681 times
Reputation: 4538
I think the 5th grade, or age 10 is the last time I wanted to go into a clothing store like The Children's Place. I distinctly remember the 6th grade being the time when I got very particular about what I wanted to wear. I wanted to buy everything at The Gap like the cool 7th and 8th graders at the time. It was all about The Gap, The Limited, Contempo Casuals, 5-7-9, and Merry-Go-Round.

I have a pair of girl's size Adidas track pants. I don't like wearing children's clothes and don't make a habit of it. The only reason I purchased them is because they were $3.99 and they were too good of a deal to pass up. And these in particular are a bright salmon shade. I only wear them to go jogging at night in the fall/winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,749,487 times
Reputation: 4111
I'm going to guess 11 or 12, back in the mid eighties, was when I was first able to buy clothes from the Misses sizes that would fit me. I remember buying a t-shirt with a built-in tank top that was somewhat fitted, and I felt very mature and stylish.

No way could I fit into kids' clothes now. I'm 5'5" and a size 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Reputation: 38829
I was 5'10" in 5th grade... I can't remember when I was out of kids clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Reputation: 10386
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Another topic got my thinking about my mom's mother who was 64 when she died, but would still wear children's clothes, because she 4'10 and about 80lbs. On the other hand, I grew up to be 5'9. I aged into adult sized clothes when I was about 8. I was already like 5'3 and 120lbs. I've been wearing adult clothes ever since. How old were you when you stopped wearing children's clothes? Can you still wear them?
I'm STILL wearing kids clothes. I'm 5'1" and about 90 lbs.. I wear a girls size 12 or 14 pants. I buy them for work and they fit perfectly. I would give just about anything to be able to wear the ADULT clothes I see and like but it doesn't work for me. I think my store specializes in large sizes. lol I do wear adult tops, thankfully, but not pants, sweats, pjs, etc.. Thankfully they have stopped putting all those stupid sayings/bling all over kids clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,713 posts, read 19,040,812 times
Reputation: 14668
I still have to wear girl's pants/shorts/capris as well (it's SO hard to find things w/o glitter/sequins/bling or shorts that have more than a 1-2" inseam)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
 
Location: here
24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Reputation: 31039
Actual kids clothes, probably about 12. Then I wore juniors clothes until I was through college. Then I guess a mix of juniors and adult clothes when I hit about 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM
 
71 posts, read 48,091 times
Reputation: 46
yes i cant remember when i stop i guess when Im in grade 4? i think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Reputation: 10386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I still have to wear girl's pants/shorts/capris as well (it's SO hard to find things w/o glitter/sequins/bling or shorts that have more than a 1-2" inseam)
The Disney stuff drives me crazy. I don't want to wear Minnie Mouse pjs, thank you very much. I don't see kids clothes with "innuendo" words, etc. on them anymore like "juicy". What?? What self respecting kid wants to wear something that says that? lol Or "sexy", or whatever. Still, there's a lot of Disney stuff in the kids section. As it should be, I suppose. I mean, it IS for kids. lol

I did find a nice pair of pants in the Juniors section, size 0, so thought I'd try them on. They were very low waisted and the zipper was about two inches long. I felt like I'd be trying to pull them UP every five minutes! Also, I don't want the waistline of my pants hugging my hips! Not comfortable for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:05 PM
 
479 posts, read 631,370 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The Disney stuff drives me crazy. I don't want to wear Minnie Mouse pjs, thank you very much. I don't see kids clothes with "innuendo" words, etc. on them anymore like "juicy". What?? What self respecting kid wants to wear something that says that? lol Or "sexy", or whatever. Still, there's a lot of Disney stuff in the kids section. As it should be, I suppose. I mean, it IS for kids. lol

I did find a nice pair of pants in the Juniors section, size 0, so thought I'd try them on. They were very low waisted and the zipper was about two inches long. I felt like I'd be trying to pull them UP every five minutes! Also, I don't want the waistline of my pants hugging my hips! Not comfortable for me.
Adult clothes are like this, too. I enjoy high waist pants in general, but especially since I had a c-section, and they're rare to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top