U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,537 times

Advertisements

Rubbish. How is it that whole nations outside of America are able to keep petite sizes (apparently extra-child size!) and yet people put weight on here for "no reason" and have no way of losing it? I'm sorry, but I for one cannot buy that. I always wonder what qualifies for these people's "eating healthy".

On the flip side of an overweight person having to "do more work", this means they also BURN MORE CALORIES for the same exercise because they have to "do more work". I'm not exactly sure people are "designed" to be size 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Gizmo is right. For people to be ignorant enough to think that "you just stick to this little routine and diet that I'm on and you can be skinny too!"

No. That is an absolute falsehood! In individual's genetic makeup greatly influences a person's type.

Do yourselves a favor, all you size 4.....but "worked REALLY hard to get where you're at!", don't ever consider yourself somehow just more...diligent or serious about your weight loss.

If you're a size 4, good for you. You are the size of a child. Yes. You are.

I am a SOLID, size 14. I am a LARGE person..not average, not medium, but large. I am not plump, I am not chubby, I am a PERFECTLY proportioned, 5'8" female. It takes just as much work for a large woman to maintain a size 14-18, as it does for a size 4 to maintain THEIR size. They are designed to be larger people.

Genetically, some people are more prone to extra fat deposits on the hips and thighs, bust, waist, or just all over. Larger and heavier people also have to "do more work", when they do exercise, especially if they are extremely overweight. They are having to MOVE more weight when they exercise. It is also harder on the body.

Don't judge....seriously...don't. You know, I judged, when I was thin (14) and athletic, over 20 years ago. All of a sudden, I started gaining weight!!! OMG...I couldn't lose it. There was "nothing" wrong...no abnormal test, no change in eating habits, always lots of fresh, healthy, homecooked meals. i got heavy. I look at pictures of me then....and I can't belive it. Even when I was heavy, I would look at pictures of myself and not even really recognize myself. I mean, a picture doesn't lie, so sure, it was me...but God, it didn't look like ME!

Fighting depression became a daily battle. I tried everything..2 lbs down, 4 lbs up. 4 lbs down, 2 lbs up, then months of nothing.....then I'd start climbing up again. Well...then I started losing weight...after almost 20 years. I always thought, "If they REALLY wanted to lose weight...they just would...period." That's a lie. Take it from someone who judged...and got to walk in their shoes. Hey, I'm not alone. I know lots of gals who used to be these skinny, judgemental young things, and they're fat, out of shape things now.
So a woman who wears a size 4 is the size of a child? LOL....ok, gotcha

That will most likely be the single dumbest statement I'll read this week. Congrats!

I didn't say a 4T....they do actually make size 4 clothing in women's sizes.

As for the rest of your post, I never said some heavy people don't also work hard on being fit. I'm in the gym everyday and I do see overweight people working hard. I'm still good friends with a client of mine who used to be a size 20/22 and I trained her and helped her get to a size 16. She worked her butt off, didn't quit and
Implemented my advice for her diet. I'm proud as I can be of her too.

My rant is for people who constantly complain about being overweight and the hardships that accompany it, but yet will not be bothered to take steps to change it. We all judge others for various reasons, and yes...I do judge those types harshly if there is no medical reason for them being overweight...only their sheer laziness and unwillingness to take control and make the necessary changes.

Oh and in case you missed it...I haven't always been a size 4. I was always skinny as a child and teen. I gained weight after my second baby and then worked to get it off. I wasn't happy being fat, but instead of crying about and complaining how unfair it was, I got my butt in the gym and changed my eating habits.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,456,149 times
What a loaded question ... here's my unfiltered viewpoint on this one where I try to put in some scientific evidence: in short, discrimination isn't the issue so much as natural reaction to unhealthy people.

If people are uncomfortable with these facts, it's purely because they're unwilling to face reality or they're part of a small minority who differ in opinion. Both are fine by me: I don't particularly care.

Sexual attraction:

I think that men are simply unattracted to women who are overweight. Some extra fat is a good thing; most men like a little something extra to grab on to. When my wife gained 5 lbs I found myself snuggling more. But by the time she gained 15 lbs, I brought her to the gym with me. Before she got pregnant that is LOL.

So yeah, height-weight proportional is key.

Women also do not find men who are overweight attractive WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS.
a) Personality: women seek out partners for love, whereas men seek partners for companionship and sex, with secondary (close secondary) importance on personality. For women this is the opposite. Now, even this is nuanced: will a woman be attracted to a man with an awesome personality but is obese? Probably not; instant friend-zone. But say 10-20 lbs overweight? Maybe. See next two exceptions.

b.) If the guy is overweight BUT is also very strong, most women will overlook a little fat / extra tire. But not say 30 lb overweight. That's too much.

c.) Extremely financially secure. One of the other ways women differ from men is that men are very unlikely to find rich women more attractive than poor women based on looks. But women, consistently, in many scientific studies, with clear parallels to society, found overweight men more attractive if they were rich. In the USA, this would equate to about $300k a year. If you are overweight but pulling in good coin, women tend to think about future family matters and stability.

d.) Big penis. No explanation here. Too big is bad, but bigger than average (with more importance on thickness/girth) is key.

Friendship/Social interaction:

Unless a person is a total bigot, it is unlikely they will discriminate against someone who is overweight. Subconsciously, some restaurants or places like that will cook more food or try to sell more to an overweight person.

This changes when someone is obese. People WILL actively avoid contact or dealing with obese people. Why? They're disgusting. Plain and simple. The fat rolls capture more sweat and if they don't clean themselves properly the sweat will cause BO issues. Many obese people can't clean themselves properly while going to the toilet, so sometimes they smell of urine or feces. They also typically can't control how much they eat, which to a point is funny but beyond that is revolting to most people. And in general obese people can't get off their duffs to change their lifestyles and be more healthy. Vast majority of people who are obese today are due to poor lifestyle choices, plain and simple. Very few have medical reasons; indeed, most "medical reasons" people use as excuses today are SYMPTOMS, rather than CAUSES, of being obese. I fall into the camp of people who have zero tolerance for otherwise normal people with no true medical reason for being obese.

This extends to the workplace, with some exceptions when a person performs extremely well.

Last edited by eskercurve; 07-05-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM

842 posts, read 878,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
That happens to a girl I know. She thinks she's hot--hourglass shape, long hair, nice face, etc. Brags on herself alot. And she likes a guy-sleeping with him. But he has a girlfriend whom she says has an "apple shape"--fat I guess. Short hair, and stupid because she didn't go to college while she herself is in Law School. Yet despite her bragging on herself and looking down on this guy's fat girlfriend, she's the pathetic one. The fat girl has the hot guy, and she's the side *****. lol The hot guy cares for his girlfriend, ad snubs the hot chick, and only puts up with her for sex. Yet she still looks down on his girlfriend. Whenever she asks for advice on her situation of being a mistress, she always throws in that his girlfriend is too ugly for him.
Doesn't sound like he cares about her to me. Probably cares about what she does for him while he's screwing the so-called hot chick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Yeah, but as someone brilliantly put it on the first page, everyone's discriminated against for some reason.

Some people have it worse than others, but that's life. (And as a black male who's lived in poverty, I'm not saying this from the outside.)
Believe me, as a short, black dude, I know how you feel. I've even been discriminated against fat chicks, as well lol. Don't really feel sorry for them as most of us "unattractive" people has to deal with it.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:55 PM

463 posts, read 424,542 times
Eskercurve.....spot on my friend. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I want to add one thing. As I've revamped my lifestyle to be more healthy and physically active, I simply just cannot hang out or associate with non-active people anymore. All they want to do is sit behind a TV, or at a sports bar watching TV, or at a bar period.....and guzzle back alcohol, fried food, chips, dip, soda. On the weekends they want to do cookouts with processed fatty meat and white bread with potato chips and drink more alcohol and soda. Then at nights they want to go "paint the town red" and guzzle back even more alcohol and to complete the night make a diner run where they will stuff themselves with even more fried/processed food.

Most people simply live to eat, drink, and be merry......and if you don't play along you will get a pile of grief from them calling you a "diet nazi" or "fitness freak." Discrimination goes both ways, and everywhere you turn there is temptation and pressure to conform to everyone else's unhealthy diet and lifestyle.

It's not that I want to discriminate, but like any other relationship, we all tend to gravitate toward those who are like-minded and share the same interests and motivations as we do. I really don't have much in common with frat boy party animals that want to hit the bars and drink 10 beers 3 nights a week nor do I want to date a woman that just loves chowing down on pasta and pizzas and barely hits the gym.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:47 PM

323 posts, read 398,585 times
Would I have sex with a fat guy? No way! Who would want that mountain of lard mounting me, all rubbery and squishy? Eeewww.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 PM

2,494 posts, read 1,853,849 times
People hate on the obese because it feels good to be with the "in" crowd and ostracize the "others." Members of this forum can come up with all sorts of justifications for why we do it and why it's OK. You'll hear lots of fat shaming and 'get off your butt' rhetoric. The truth is that most are insecure and don't want to be the target of ridicule. The easiest way to do that is to focus on someone with an obvious "defect" and divert attention away from your weaknesses.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,196,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Folks,

Do you believe overweight folks (who bellies bit show up) get discriminated by people not only by opposite but also same-sex gender, even by straight people?
No, because some men like chubby ladies and often times will only date chubby women.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:39 PM

463 posts, read 424,542 times
Quote:
"Thanks for the laugh, do you all look in the mirror every morning and kiss yourselves. OMG! I can't stop laughing. There should be a village with a warning for the sane to stay away. Truly funny"
To anonymous back-handed repper.....thx for the rep and glad I could make you laugh! Yes I'm a little full of myself and wouldn't consider myself entirely sane but don't worry.....I generally keep to myself and achieve my goals quietly and minimize judging others. I do this for myself and not to use it as a license to personally attack or mistreat others, even if i don't agree with their lifestyle choices....I just stated my own opinion FWIW. Could be utter crap to most people....don't really care but live and let live.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:56 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Another thread, another stereotype parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty