U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Eskercurve.....spot on my friend. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I want to add one thing. As I've revamped my lifestyle to be more healthy and physically active, I simply just cannot hang out or associate with non-active people anymore. All they want to do is sit behind a TV, or at a sports bar watching TV, or at a bar period.....and guzzle back alcohol, fried food, chips, dip, soda. On the weekends they want to do cookouts with processed fatty meat and white bread with potato chips and drink more alcohol and soda. Then at nights they want to go "paint the town red" and guzzle back even more alcohol and to complete the night make a diner run where they will stuff themselves with even more fried/processed food.

Most people simply live to eat, drink, and be merry......and if you don't play along you will get a pile of grief from them calling you a "diet nazi" or "fitness freak." Discrimination goes both ways, and everywhere you turn there is temptation and pressure to conform to everyone else's unhealthy diet and lifestyle.

It's not that I want to discriminate, but like any other relationship, we all tend to gravitate toward those who are like-minded and share the same interests and motivations as we do. I really don't have much in common with frat boy party animals that want to hit the bars and drink 10 beers 3 nights a week nor do I want to date a woman that just loves chowing down on pasta and pizzas and barely hits the gym.
Spot on... people act like the person being obese and who they are as a person are somehow not linked. I hear this a lot about how them being obese doesn't reflect who they are as a person, but of course it does. I feel that a lot of Americans I speak to have this sort of viewpoint about a lot of things where they don't care at all about causal relationship. I don't actively discriminate against larger people and I don't make it a rule not to be friends with larger people but it just so happens that the activities that generally make one large aren't really up my alley. I have larger friends and we have good chats about things, but they can't actively participate in a broader spectrum of my activities because of their weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 05:56 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,362,552 times
What the OP feels is discrimination, is the OP and other people like her make many people uncomfortable. They feel that the OP and other fat people, are doing it to themselves, not something they have to be. They are doing what it takes to be a normal weight and size, and get disgusted with people that do not and are obese.

The OP and other overweight people, call it discrimination, but people choose who they want to associate with and are comfortable being around. The OP sounds like she feels that everyone should lower their personal standards and just accept fat people without judging them.

I know what I am talking about. 6 months ago, I decided I needed to drop 50+ pounds, and have done it. I am now working on the next 30. I had due to age, quit doing as many things of a physical nature, and ballooned up quick. Had to do a complete life style change to drop the weight. I know that if someone wants to get back down to a lower weight it can be done by experience.

If you are unable to make the change, it is your fault, so don't complain about how others treat you, as you have chosen to live with how others view you and treat you.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Spot on... people act like the person being obese and who they are as a person are somehow not linked. I hear this a lot about how them being obese doesn't reflect who they are as a person, but of course it does. I feel that a lot of Americans I speak to have this sort of viewpoint about a lot of things where they don't care at all about causal relationship. I don't actively discriminate against larger people and I don't make it a rule not to be friends with larger people but it just so happens that the activities that generally make one large aren't really up my alley. I have larger friends and we have good chats about things, but they can't actively participate in a broader spectrum of my activities because of their weight.
Someone being overweight doesn't tell you anything about them. You can't tell by looking at this person if they have suffered a loss, gone through a stressful period, lost 50 pounds in their way to losing 89, completed a marathon, had a baby a week ago, have a health problem, eat pizza every day, eats small portions and doesn't see the scale budge or happens to be their healthiest at a higher weight.

Someone's weight doesn't tell you if they are a child molester, tax evader or Nobel prize winner.

Basically, it really tells you very little about the life they lead, so there's is no need to pretend you are a mind reader. Treat people the way you'd like to be treated at any size.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,368,348 times
If I'm going to be in a relationship, then there NEEDS to be some sense of sexual attraction on my part, otherwise it just isn't going to work. Obesity is disgusting - it looks bad, and it IS bad - full stop. There is nothing positive about it. I cannot condone being dangerously overweight no more than I can condone being dangerous underweight (which I find very unattractive - probably more so than obesity). Plus, I'm a very active person - I love to run, cycle, play football, tennis, basketball - you name it. I don't know any obese people who regularly partake in exercise (well, that speaks for itself).

Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If I'm going to be in a relationship, then there NEEDS to be some sense of sexual attraction on my part, otherwise it just isn't going to work. Obesity is disgusting - it looks bad, and it IS bad - full stop. There is nothing positive about it. I cannot condone being dangerously overweight no more than I can condone being dangerous underweight (which I find very unattractive - probably more so than obesity). Plus, I'm a very active person - I love to run, cycle, play football, tennis, basketball - you name it. I don't know any obese people who regularly partake in exercise (well, that speaks for itself).
Out of curiosity has obesity increased in the UK the way it has in the U.S?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Someone being overweight doesn't tell you anything about them. You can't tell by looking at this person if they have suffered a loss, gone through a stressful period, lost 50 pounds in their way to losing 89, completed a marathon, had a baby a week ago, have a health problem, eat pizza every day, eats small portions and doesn't see the scale budge or happens to be their healthiest at a higher weight.

Someone's weight doesn't tell you if they are a child molester, tax evader or Nobel prize winner.

Basically, it really tells you very little about the life they lead, so there's is no need to pretend you are a mind reader. Treat people the way you'd like to be treated at any size.
Of course someone being obese doesn't have any relation to whether they are a child molester. That is a bit of a strawman there. It can't tell you anything for CERTAIN, certainly, but to deny that there are casual relationships or at least correlated relations between certain habits and obesity is, in my opinion, silly. I'm quite positive that 99.9% of people who weigh 400 pounds are NOT completing marathons or even just popping out a baby after having been "normal weight", eating "small portions", etc. I'm sure you can eat pizza every day and stay fit, so that isn't a casual relationship in any manner. Again, strawman. We're talking about broader lifestyle trends and NOT specific behaviors. But again, it is probably safe to say that a morbidly obese person is more likely to be sedentary than be a triathlon athlete. Do you disagree with this? Of course I'm not a mind-reader, but I do deal with statistics a great deal for my career and things usually turn out pretty accurately if enough restrictions are accounted for.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Of course they do, but so do socially awkward, ugly, and poor people.

I have been discriminated for being a woman. It's unfair but it's a part of life.
I'm sorry. I've been discriminated against for being a man.

Together, we are captain planet!?

Everyone at some point or another has been discriminated against.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

I know a LOT of thin people who do not partake in these activities either. Some of them stay thin by smoking or not eating at all. Some stay thin dispute a diet of junk food and fast food.

On the other hand I have seen exercise instructors who would be considered overweight and even fat. People like yourself are often guilty of fat shaming overweight people from even attempting the process of becoming more active and healthy.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Of course someone being obese doesn't have any relation to whether they are a child molester. That is a bit of a strawman there. It can't tell you anything for CERTAIN, certainly, but to deny that there are casual relationships or at least correlated relations between certain habits and obesity is, in my opinion, silly. I'm quite positive that 99.9% of people who weigh 400 pounds are NOT completing marathons or even just popping out a baby after having been "normal weight", eating "small portions", etc. I'm sure you can eat pizza every day and stay fit, so that isn't a casual relationship in any manner. Again, strawman. We're talking about broader lifestyle trends and NOT specific behaviors. But again, it is probably safe to say that a morbidly obese person is more likely to be sedentary than be a triathlon athlete. Do you disagree with this? Of course I'm not a mind-reader, but I do deal with statistics a great deal for my career and things usually turn out pretty accurately if enough restrictions are accounted for.
Where are all of you guys meeting these mythical 400 pound people all the time. I can't fathom I see someone who weighs over 300 pounds more than a dozen times a year. I see lots more run of the mill overweight people that are various degrees of chubby, not morbidly obese and home bound. Those people make up a very small percentage of the population. Somehow it seems like there is some perception there is no spectrum between model and 500 pounds.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,866,824 times
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty