U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 12:46 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,453,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Out of curiosity has obesity increased in the UK the way it has in the U.S?
Obesity isn't as prevalent as it is in the US, but yes, there is problem - we're one Europe's most obese nations.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-obesity-study

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I know a LOT of thin people who do not partake in these activities either. Some of them stay thin by smoking or not eating at all. Some stay thin dispute a diet of junk food and fast food.

On the other hand I have seen exercise instructors who would be considered overweight and even fat. People like yourself are often guilty of fat shaming overweight people from even attempting the process of becoming more active and healthy.
Okay, so what? Most overweight people are overweight due to excess food consumption combined with lack of exercise. There are thin people who are sedentary, and stay thin due to high metabolism, and I couldn't be in a relationship with them either.

Posting a picture of a fat person stretching isn't going to change my mind, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 01:32 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,312,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Obesity isn't as prevalent as it is in the US, but yes, there is problem - we're one Europe's most obese nations.

UK among worst in western Europe for level of overweight and obese people | Society | The Guardian

Okay, so what? Most overweight people are overweight due to excess food consumption combined with lack of exercise. There are thin people who are sedentary, and stay thin due to high metabolism, and I couldn't be in a relationship with them either.

Posting a picture of a fat person stretching isn't going to change my mind, lol.
I didn't realize that this thread was ALL about YOUR personal preferences.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,226,454 times
Oh come on, people having sexual preferences is not discrimination.

I like chubby shorter women with dark hair and blue eyes. It's a preference, but not the be all and end all. Does it mean I am "discriminating" against women who don't fit that description? No, because more important things take priority.

But the reason people aren't sexually attracted to obesity is because it is a disease, and people are naturally attracted to what is healthy, and want healthy offspring. Not diabetic, obese, heart disease suffering people.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,149,140 times
Some people just dont like them
But hey, I love chubby guys

Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,197,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where are all of you guys meeting these mythical 400 pound people all the time. I can't fathom I see someone who weighs over 300 pounds more than a dozen times a year. I see lots more run of the mill overweight people that are various degrees of chubby, not morbidly obese and home bound. Those people make up a very small percentage of the population. Somehow it seems like there is some perception there is no spectrum between model and 500 pounds.
You're from California, I'm from Michigan and living in Philadelphia right now. Have you seen the Detroit area obesity statistics? Quite a different world, my friend. The town where my family lives has dozens of families per day walking around all obese of at least 300 pounds each or pretty darn close to at least. But I of course never stated I was talking about anything other than very, very large people. Not just slightly larger people.

Last edited by Cnote11; 07-06-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 04:10 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,911,076 times
Fat girls need love too.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:19 PM

706 posts, read 914,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where are all of you guys meeting these mythical 400 pound people all the time. I can't fathom I see someone who weighs over 300 pounds more than a dozen times a year. I see lots more run of the mill overweight people that are various degrees of chubby, not morbidly obese and home bound. Those people make up a very small percentage of the population. Somehow it seems like there is some perception there is no spectrum between model and 500 pounds.
Ever been to Chicago?

I'm from Chicago, though I'm living in Colorado. If I were to use this place as a point of reference I'd say that I don't see many obese people either. But whenever I go home to visit, it's like a culture shock. It is not at all unusual to see 3-4 visibly obese people (some even morbidly obese) a day. So yes, depending on where you live, it's possible to see several 300+ pound people daily.

Also, I think it's important to note that people who may appear to the eye to just be overweight could very well be obese by medical standards. So you may be seeing more obese people than you think.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM

26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Ever been to Chicago?

I'm from Chicago, though I'm living in Colorado. If I were to use this place as a point of reference I'd say that I don't see many obese people either. But whenever I go home to visit, it's like a culture shock. It is not at all unusual to see 3-4 visibly obese people (some even morbidly obese) a day. So yes, depending on where you live, it's possible to see several 300+ pound people daily.

Also, I think it's important to note that people who may appear to the eye to just be overweight could very well be obese by medical standards. So you may be seeing more obese people than you think.
There is a magic number somewhere where obesity effects mobility. But your average slightly obese person isn't having problems and probably a lot more active than some people are implying here.

I have plenty of relatives who were "medically obese" and lived well into their 80s/90s and stayed pretty active. Even my not active grandma who had basically all of the health problems ever lived to be 82.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,292,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Ever been to Chicago?

Colorado has the lowest obesity rate in the country.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,517,680 times
1 in 3 americans are obese. it is the largest (sorry for the pun) group of people that want to be the next minority to howl "discrimination".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty