U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,278,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a magic number somewhere where obesity effects mobility. But your average slightly obese person isn't having problems and probably a lot more active than some people are implying here.

I have plenty of relatives who were "medically obese" and lived well into their 80s/90s and stayed pretty active. Even my not active grandma who had basically all of the health problems ever lived to be 82.
Widespread obesity is relatively new. Up until recent years a small fraction of the population was technically obese (which i believe is defined as having a BMI 20% above the overweight level). Now that obesity has become common we will see how big of an impact it has on various health conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Widespread obesity is relatively new. Up until recent years a small fraction of the population was technically obese (which i believe is defined as having a BMI 20% above the overweight level). Now that obesity has become common we will see how big of an impact it has on various health conditions.
A BMI equal to or higher than 30 is considered in the obese range.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 PM

108 posts, read 148,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.

I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.

I've got a friend that will consume twice as many calories as me per day, yet weighs about 40 lbs less than me.
Yes, off course overwieght people sometimes face discrimination, but unless you have a medical condition you are choosing to be overweight, and this is coming for someone who is a little overweight. Eighty percent of how you look is based upon how and what you eat. Take carbs (or most of them) out of your diet and you will lose weight. You can also do weight watchers which I have done before. It's really simple - if you count your points you will loose weight.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,537 times
Quote:
There is a magic number somewhere where obesity effects mobility. But your average slightly obese person isn't having problems and probably a lot more active than some people are implying here.

I have plenty of relatives who were "medically obese" and lived well into their 80s/90s and stayed pretty active. Even my not active grandma who had basically all of the health problems ever lived to be 82.
I used to be medically obese (around 34 BMI) but I was quite active, playing sports nearly every day, but what I ate was very unhealthy and I ate a lot which kept me big. Even if something isn't thought of as unhealthy, I ate too much of it for it to be healthy. I would eat 7 bananas in a sitting, not realising that this and grape juice had me looking at nearly 1200 calories. I know a guy who is over 300 pounds but he does karate. He is quite the anomaly and not the rule. Even still, he isn't very active and sits in front of a computer all day.The average obese person is not active, unless your definition of active is relative to that of the average American who themselves are not very active. But compared to other countries and the required energy spent to keep in better shape, they certainly are FAR from active.

Last edited by Cnote11; 07-06-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,277,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
thanks for the laugh the same people who say that are the ones that pack their shopping carts with pre-packaged processed foods and cases of coke. then they say "yeah i have no idea why i am fat, must be a thyroid issue". LOLOL 80% of the time, it is laziness. maybe you're the 20%....who knows, but almost nobody was fat in the 70s. and genetics wouldnt change that much in only 40 years where 2/3 of the american population now possess the "fat gene" and can't help it.

maybe you're still eating the wrong foods. everybody has things they eat/drink that are not necessarily good for them that might pack on the pounds. i know ive had to make some sacrifices to maintain a healthy weight.

society is actually catering to fat people nowadays. as a person of normal weight, i actually feel i am being discriminated against. it is difficult to find pants in my size(30-32 waist) without shopping at the baby GAP or some hipster place.
There are some people who will never ever be skinny. It's pure genetics, biology.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,817 times
TBH, I quit reading the rest of the thread. I get that people are discriminated against for various reasons. Unfortunately, that's part of life, and you have to rise above it. No one is obligated to accept everyone else, and the reverse is also true.

What sticks in my craw are the people that , instead of trying to improve their own station in life, expend their energy disparaging the people that have what they want. Look, not everyone is going to be a size 2 or a billionnaire, but is that really any excuse not to take the steps to try to improve oneself somehow? Is posting FB post after post saying that "real women have curves" really helping? If there is an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed, wouldn't it be smarter to focus on that? In the same vein, although OT, there are people that think that rich people are evil and that that somehow justifies their unwillingness to work a little harder to provide for their own futures? Sometimes I think that people tend to shoot themselvse in the foor bu crying "discrimination", rather than doing the wokr to improve themselves. And guess what? Even if you work your ass off and reach your weight goals, or any other goals, there will still be haters. Why not just do the smart thing and take care of yourself in any way you need?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 AM

790 posts, read 954,596 times
What a great entitlement society we live in, now everyone "deserves" to get laid no matter what they look like or do

Old 07-07-2014, 05:28 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Rubbish. How is it that whole nations outside of America are able to keep petite sizes (apparently extra-child size!) and yet people put weight on here for "no reason" and have no way of losing it? I'm sorry, but I for one cannot buy that. I always wonder what qualifies for these people's "eating healthy".

On the flip side of an overweight person having to "do more work", this means they also BURN MORE CALORIES for the same exercise because they have to "do more work". I'm not exactly sure people are "designed" to be size 18.
But of course you You aren't. I'm quite certaing that you've convinced yourself that somehow, if they really, really tried, everybody could be slender and petite....and all fit nicely in that little box that some humans love to put people in. Hey, why not let's go even further, shall we? How about picking the colors that people look the best in, and make people wear only those colors, cuz...well YOU hate looking at orange, and no one looks good in it. Hmmm?

It's like....some people were truly born yesterday.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
So a woman who wears a size 4 is the size of a child? LOL....ok, gotcha

That will most likely be the single dumbest statement I'll read this week. Congrats!

I didn't say a 4T....they do actually make size 4 clothing in women's sizes.

As for the rest of your post, I never said some heavy people don't also work hard on being fit. I'm in the gym everyday and I do see overweight people working hard. I'm still good friends with a client of mine who used to be a size 20/22 and I trained her and helped her get to a size 16. She worked her butt off, didn't quit and
Implemented my advice for her diet. I'm proud as I can be of her too.

My rant is for people who constantly complain about being overweight and the hardships that accompany it, but yet will not be bothered to take steps to change it. We all judge others for various reasons, and yes...I do judge those types harshly if there is no medical reason for them being overweight...only their sheer laziness and unwillingness to take control and make the necessary changes.

Oh and in case you missed it...I haven't always been a size 4. I was always skinny as a child and teen. I gained weight after my second baby and then worked to get it off. I wasn't happy being fat, but instead of crying about and complaining how unfair it was, I got my butt in the gym and changed my eating habits.

YOU are giving your opinions and stating your observations. Me too. To ME..... a size 4 woman APPEARS as a child, in comparison to me. They are like live stick figures. It is terrifying to hug these people, because it's nothing but a bag of effin BONES draped in skin!!!! My gawd! In most of these people, there is NO muscle tone or definition. THAT is not healthy! Sorry...but it's not. It might be aesthetically PLEASING for you to look at....but for some of us, it is **head shake worthy**.

To SOME of us, who work very hard, at physical labor jobs and tasks, well.......WE respect and appreciate a person who looks like they actually do something more than sit around and look purty all day. We're DAMN proud of our size 14-18 bodies. We kick a$$....don't have to sit around and bat our eyelashes at some big strong fella, to do for us. In fact, we're just as likely to take pity on a poor fella and help HIM carry something heavy.

I WILL agree with you though...to SIT around and never even make an attempt to lose weight, and constantly whine about it....yeah... for sure, irritating as heck. Then again though...it's not any more irritating than these little "petite" gals who focus on keeping their weight down to X....or their clothes size down to X....yet they're helpless......LIKE children. They have no strength or stamina...or muscle. Skinny does not equal healthy......period.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Exactly!!!!!! Um....."medically obese"? Who in the f*ck is determining this magic number? Uh huh? And we're ALL gonna be on statin drugs too!....because of a bunch of effin numbers!! When you start talking health and the Medical establishment comes out with the fancy guidelines and numbers....you can bet that it's all leading to magic $$$ for the powers that be. Brainwash the masses into believing something....get them bickering with each other and competing with each other to appease their egos, and stand in the back, making billions on drugs and gimicks to support their "magic number guideline".

It's appalling, the IGNORANCE of some people. We Are Not Clones. For gawd sake, wake up people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty