U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 04:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
YOU are giving your opinions and stating your observations. Me too. To ME..... a size 4 woman APPEARS as a child, in comparison to me. They are like live stick figures. It is terrifying to hug these people, because it's nothing but a bag of effin BONES draped in skin!!!! My gawd! In most of these people, there is NO muscle tone or definition. THAT is not healthy! Sorry...but it's not. It might be aesthetically PLEASING for you to look at....but for some of us, it is **head shake worthy**.

To SOME of us, who work very hard, at physical labor jobs and tasks, well.......WE respect and appreciate a person who looks like they actually do something more than sit around and look purty all day. We're DAMN proud of our size 14-18 bodies. We kick a$$....don't have to sit around and bat our eyelashes at some big strong fella, to do for us. In fact, we're just as likely to take pity on a poor fella and help HIM carry something heavy.

I WILL agree with you though...to SIT around and never even make an attempt to lose weight, and constantly whine about it....yeah... for sure, irritating as heck. Then again though...it's not any more irritating than these little "petite" gals who focus on keeping their weight down to X....or their clothes size down to X....yet they're helpless......LIKE children. They have no strength or stamina...or muscle. Skinny does not equal healthy......period.
Now wait a minute. This is precisely the attitude with which I take issue. In saying that women of a slighter build "look like children", are "a bag of bones", and "have to bat their eyelashes waiting for a strong fella", you're not expressing pride in your own physique, but proverbially trying to blow out another's candle to make yours burn brighter. I am a size 2, I eat whatever I want, I move furniture, I have muscle definition, and I can defend myself against a grown man if I have to...and I have. I get sick of all of this infighting between women about shape. We all act like there are five damn men left on the planet and that we have to step over one another to get their attention. Looks will get someone in the door, but personality and character is what keeps them there, and that to me, is what a "real" woman (or man) is about.

Despite what people would have us believe, there is no shortage of the opposite sex, or a gold standard WRT body type to which everyone must adhere. I truly believe that there is someone for everyone. I know a woman that is every bit of 400 pounds and she owns every ounce of it. She has her own style, doesn't apologize for who she is, can be brash at times, but she doesn't disparage others for who they are. And she is happily married. And interesting as all get out. To me, she is a true bad ass. Another woman I know is seriously about as wide as she is tall, but one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I know a few guys that are really big, but their senses of humor could slay the ladies for miles around. My fiance could stand to lose a few pounds, but the aesthetics isn't what concerns me. It's that he's had some mini-strokes in the past, and I dread the thought of comng home to him twitching around on the floor.

Hey, I've been criticized for not having ultra-blond hair, or not having a ginormous rack, and, turning 40, I suppose I aged out of what "men" consider to be attractive. Am I going to cry in my Cheerios over it? No. I've got way more important things to do with my time, and I am sure you do, too. Just brush it off and keep it moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Now wait a minute. This is precisely the attitude with which I take issue. In saying that women of a slighter build "look like children", are "a bag of bones", and "have to bat their eyelashes waiting for a strong fella", you're not expressing pride in your own physique, but proverbially trying to blow out another's candle to make yours burn brighter. I am a size 2, I eat whatever I want, I move furniture, I have muscle definition, and I can defend myself against a grown man if I have to...and I have. I get sick of all of this infighting between women about shape. We all act like there are five damn men left on the planet and that we have to step over one another to get their attention. Looks will get someone in the door, but personality and character is what keeps them there, and that to me, is what a "real" woman (or man) is about.

Despite what people would have us believe, there is no shortage of the opposite sex, or a gold standard WRT body type to which everyone must adhere. I truly believe that there is someone for everyone. I know a woman that is every bit of 400 pounds and she owns every ounce of it. She has her own style, doesn't apologize for who she is, can be brash at times, but she doesn't disparage others for who they are. And she is happily married. And interesting as all get out. To me, she is a true bad ass. Another woman I know is seriously about as wide as she is tall, but one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I know a few guys that are really big, but their senses of humor could slay the ladies for miles around. My fiance could stand to lose a few pounds, but the aesthetics isn't what concerns me. It's that he's had some mini-strokes in the past, and I dread the thought of comng home to him twitching around on the floor.

Hey, I've been criticized for not having ultra-blond hair, or not having a ginormous rack, and, turning 40, I suppose I aged out of what "men" consider to be attractive. Am I going to cry in my Cheerios over it? No. I've got way more important things to do with my time, and I am sure you do, too. Just brush it off and keep it moving.
Great post! I agree! BTW....you're a rockstar! Go workin' girl!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM

98 posts, read 73,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.

I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.

I've got a friend that will consume twice as many calories as me per day, yet weighs about 40 lbs less than me.
IT is unhealthy to be obese.
there is a surgery that shrinks the stomach.
would you opt for that?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,537 times
Quote:
But of course you You aren't. I'm quite certaing that you've convinced yourself that somehow, if they really, really tried, everybody could be slender and petite....and all fit nicely in that little box that some humans love to put people in. Hey, why not let's go even further, shall we? How about picking the colors that people look the best in, and make people wear only those colors, cuz...well YOU hate looking at orange, and no one looks good in it. Hmmm?

It's like....some people were truly born yesterday.
Give me a break. Look around the world and you will see that it is highly uncommon for someone to be "designed" to be size 18. Even in the countries with the highest obesity rate the average is size 12, which is a far cry from size 18. No one is born "designed" to be a size 18, unless they have some legitimate--and rare, I should add--medical condition. If you seriously think that you're incredibly delusional. Of course not everyone can be very, very petite, but not being petite DOES NOT IN ANY WAY equal even coming CLOSE to size 18. This has nothing to do with what I prefer anyway, and everything to do with statistics. It sounds like to me you've lost perspective of what normal is if you think size 4 seems like a child and you think size 18 is some type of normal body type.

Also I find it interesting how you're attacking me when I don't recall stating anything negative about large people aesthetically, but merely called out excuses dressed as fact and referred to global statistics on obesity rates. Meanwhile, you throw out tons of insults towards skinnier women at the drop of a dime. It seems to be you who are the hateful and discriminatory one.

Last edited by Cnote11; 07-07-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 PM

284 posts, read 270,059 times
Personally speaking my weight has never been an issue. I'm very tall, work-out, eat well and have a freakish metabolism. When it comes to women I've always liked the ones who have some meat on their bones. I'm dating someone currently who is 5'10" 180lbs. At first she was a lil uncomfortable about her size but as time goes on ( also with my constant fondling/groping) she has become a lot more free around me, and i'm just eating it up...literally. I know people who are at a healthy weight but are always complaining about feeling weak/sickly. I also know people who are a good 40-50lbs overweight and have as much energy as I do. F*** what everybody says, DO YOU.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Give me a break. Look around the world and you will see that it is highly uncommon for someone to be "designed" to be size 18. Even in the countries with the highest obesity rate the average is size 12, which is a far cry from size 18. No one is born "designed" to be a size 18, unless they have some legitimate--and rare, I should add--medical condition. If you seriously think that you're incredibly delusional. Of course not everyone can be very, very petite, but not being petite DOES NOT IN ANY WAY equal even coming CLOSE to size 18. This has nothing to do with what I prefer anyway, and everything to do with statistics. It sounds like to me you've lost perspective of what normal is if you think size 4 seems like a child and you think size 18 is some type of normal body type.

Also I find it interesting how you're attacking me when I don't recall stating anything negative about large people aesthetically, but merely called out excuses dressed as fact and referred to global statistics on obesity rates. Meanwhile, you throw out tons of insults towards skinnier women at the drop of a dime. It seems to be you who are the hateful and discriminatory one.

Wow! Please, get "informed and educated" before making such silly statements. Hmmm, my stating that someone is "the size of a child", somehow is "irritating and insulting" to you? Clearly, you have chosen to cherry pick information and statistics to somehow fuel your obsession with clothing sizes.

Hmmm No one is "designed to be a size 18, unless they're "odd", or have a medical condition? Please, broaden your world a little bit. Clearly, the ethnic groups who chose to settle my part of the country, have considerably larger folks than your area. Heathy, FIT, large-boned, muscular women are quite "typical" for my area. You can believe it, or you don't have to....but size 18 women..are quite common. For my size...at a size 14, yes.....your mind simply cannot comprehend this, I know...getting "DOWN" to a size 14, is pushing it to the limit. Women like me...are SKINNY at a size 14.

As far as statistics and averages go...yeah, people are all wrong! If they weren't....there wouldn't be so many women who are size 14-18...pissed because they can't find decent clothes for their size or proportion. Clothes sit on racks around here, because they're all made for SHORT or AVERAGE height women...with large abdomens. Us freaks have to shop elsewhere...where there are even MORE of us freaks.....in Olympia, WA...where there are MORE people.

Yeah, there are statistics...and guess what, they're wrong. Why is that statistical data wrong? ...because it is skewed...period...manipulated and incomplete data....period. Clearly, manufacturers are just as misinformed as many other folks, perhaps they should do some real, on the ground, research, rather than relying on those lil surveys which created those statistics in the first place.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
Quote:
Wow! Please, get "informed and educated" before making such silly statements. Hmmm, my stating that someone is "the size of a child", somehow is "irritating and insulting" to you? Clearly, you have chosen to cherry pick information and statistics to somehow fuel your obsession with clothing sizes.

Hmmm No one is "designed to be a size 18, unless they're "odd", or have a medical condition? Please, broaden your world a little bit. Clearly, the ethnic groups who chose to settle my part of the country, have considerably larger folks than your area. Heathy, FIT, large-boned, muscular women are quite "typical" for my area. You can believe it, or you don't have to....but size 18 women..are quite common. For my size...at a size 14, yes.....your mind simply cannot comprehend this, I know...getting "DOWN" to a size 14, is pushing it to the limit. Women like me...are SKINNY at a size 14.

As far as statistics and averages go...yeah, people are all wrong! If they weren't....there wouldn't be so many women who are size 14-18...pissed because they can't find decent clothes for their size or proportion. Clothes sit on racks around here, because they're all made for SHORT or AVERAGE height women...with large abdomens. Us freaks have to shop elsewhere...where there are even MORE of us freaks.....in Olympia, WA...where there are MORE people.

Yeah, there are statistics...and guess what, they're wrong. Why is that statistical data wrong? ...because it is skewed...period...manipulated and incomplete data....period. Clearly, manufacturers are just as misinformed as many other folks, perhaps they should do some real, on the ground, research, rather than relying on those lil surveys which created those statistics in the first place.
Sorry, but I think your just seeing what you want to see. If you were in the bible belt I would understand, but your in one of the fittest states in the country. It varies by city but Wa. and Co. are at the top of the list generally speaking.

There are so many size 18 women out there because they eat more energy then their body needs, so it stores it for later use. People don't get overweight by accident or by black magic. Yes women naturally store more fat then men, but that isn't an excuse to go overboard with it. And "big bones" don't make a person size 18, sorry.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
And "big bones" don't make a person size 18, sorry.
But thing like broad shoulders and wide hips can! There is a pretty big spectrum of "healthy" clothing sizes that are pretty individual. Clothing size doesn't tell you anything about health. Would be more helpful to use a standardized metric, like body fat percentage, that does give you a real picture.

All people are different. For some women, size 10 is chubby, size 10 is perfect and size 10 is skinny. It is all pretty variable based on your body shape and structure.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But thing like broad shoulders and wide hips can! There is a pretty big spectrum of "healthy" clothing sizes that are pretty individual. Clothing size doesn't tell you anything about health. Would be more helpful to use a standardized metric, like body fat percentage, that does give you a real picture.

All people are different. For some women, size 10 is chubby, size 10 is perfect and size 10 is skinny. It is all pretty variable based on your body shape and structure.
Yeah that's true, but it's usually not the determining factor, its the thick layer of bodyfat on top of the bones that does it. Based on the pictures I found on google of size 18, rare is the woman who is lean and still fits into those clothes.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,195,537 times
There is no point in arguing with an obviously insane person. My region of the United States has a greater obesity rate than Washington and yet size 18 is not even close to the normal size. Also, what "ethnic people" settled down in your area that are an average 18 size? Yes, the statistics are all wrong. Only your opinion is right. You have me there! The statistics supported by numerous studies totally lose to your opinion that has no grounding in anything other than fantasy. You're right! When I was just in Japan the average person was really size 18 and the obesity rate wasn't 3 percent. Either that, or when I go to France, Italy, Korea, and Japan I am just seeing the adolescent population. And here people are reporting that the Japanese are having a birth shortage. Can't be the case with so many little girls running around. A large percentage of them even had children in tow! Either they are great bigger sisters and brothers or kids these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty