U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Reputation: 19409

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That's your fault for buying into bullsh** recommendations/sizing and not going by the image in the mirror. According to the BMI charts I'm borderline overweight, yet I'm 6'2 200lbs w/ a 34 inch belly measurement. Go figure.

Bingo!! That is EXACTLY what I did, Tofur! I bought into the bullsh**, "acceptable standards", recommendations. Oh brother! Yeah....an "unattainable" goal, that....once I reached, earned me nothing more than comments about how I was TOO thin. "Oh NO, you don't understand!!! ....you see, I'm finally thin enough...because the charts say so!!!"

Some people came up with these magical numbers and if you're over them, you're too heavy and below them you're too thin. Look, if everyone could understand that those charts are a "guesstimate", rather than something written in stone...they'd probably be alright..., but until then, it's just a chart that makes people feel like sh*t, for no good reason.

As for the poster who's questioning my sanity?....LOL, perhaps you should be questioning YOUR sanity. Really? You are so obsessed with other people's sizes....that you're venemous and viscious about it. You see, as someone who has spent a great deal of time in the medical profession...folks dealing with your mental issues are in far greater danger than those who are 10, 20, or even 50 lbs overweight and content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM
 
2,079 posts, read 2,477,838 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Were you even alive in the 70s? Where in the world do you get the idea that "almost nobody was fat" in the 70s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Every time I see the cover of a Doobie Brothers album and the styles they wore back then I thank God I wasn't born until that nonsense was over. Or at least winding down. I was not born until 1980, but I'm smart enough to know there were fat people in the 1970s. Enough so that you can't make the "almost nobody" claim.
that's not the issue of whether or not i was "alive" in the 70's. what the hell kind of an argument is that? relative to today, there were way less fat people, even in my heyday in the early 90s.

are you going to dispute the fact that there were less fat people 30-40 years ago? perhaps you're both trying to justify that there were always fat people to combat your insecurity about your own weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly
I just don't want to look at fat people. They are everywhere. In the grocery store, the rolls of lard jiggling, holding their arms out to the side because the fat folds won't let them hang down normally, the haunches and huge butts rolling side to side when they walk like two shoats fighting in a sack. I have to look away.

20% of Americans now are a normal weight according to their BMI. How much is it going to cost to have all these people break down and slowly die of heart disease and diabetes? But it is so disgusting to look at. They should get tickets written for the crime of visual pollution.
look it at this way, looking at all of those morbidly obese scooter monsters will make you feel better about yourself appearance wise. unless you're just trolling and you're actually one of them. either way, your post paints a disturbing picture, but it was nevertheless entertaining.

it is painfully obvious that the obese are at least partially to blame for rising healthcare costs. people discriminate against fat people because they are the last "safe" group of people for discrimination. even that is going away with how they glamorize being fat. honey boo boo? really? in addition to getting fatter, people are also getting dumber. in 10 years, healthy people of normal body weight will be discriminated against. hell, it has already started happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,037,088 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Bingo!! That is EXACTLY what I did, Tofur! I bought into the bullsh**, "acceptable standards", recommendations. Oh brother! Yeah....an "unattainable" goal, that....once I reached, earned me nothing more than comments about how I was TOO thin. "Oh NO, you don't understand!!! ....you see, I'm finally thin enough...because the charts say so!!!"

Some people came up with these magical numbers and if you're over them, you're too heavy and below them you're too thin. Look, if everyone could understand that those charts are a "guesstimate", rather than something written in stone...they'd probably be alright..., but until then, it's just a chart that makes people feel like sh*t, for no good reason.

As for the poster who's questioning my sanity?....LOL, perhaps you should be questioning YOUR sanity. Really? You are so obsessed with other people's sizes....that you're venemous and viscious about it. You see, as someone who has spent a great deal of time in the medical profession...folks dealing with your mental issues are in far greater danger than those who are 10, 20, or even 50 lbs overweight and content.
Yeah the best measurement to go by is bodyfat percentage, and most methods of calculating that aren't particularly accurate. But we have a good idea of what the healthy range is for both women and men so as long as you stay within that it's all good. That way it leaves out naturally wide pelvis/chest cavity/muscle mass/what have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,299 posts, read 10,454,166 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
that's not the issue of whether or not i was "alive" in the 70's. what the hell kind of an argument is that? relative to today, there were way less fat people, even in my heyday in the early 90s.

are you going to dispute the fact that there were less fat people 30-40 years ago? perhaps you're both trying to justify that there were always fat people to combat your insecurity about your own weight.
You assume (foolishly) I have an insecurity about my weight. Has it occurred to you that maybe I have a legitimate compassion for people who struggle with weight? Is it so hard to believe someone can be in shape but still express support for those who are not? I can assure you I have no insecurity about my weight or body comp. In fact, without even knowing you I can say with confidence I am in better physical condition that you are. I don't say this as a knock toward you. I am just that sure of myself.

Quote:
look it at this way, looking at all of those morbidly obese scooter monsters will make you feel better about yourself appearance wise. unless you're just trolling and you're actually one of them. either way, your post paints a disturbing picture, but it was nevertheless entertaining.

it is painfully obvious that the obese are at least partially to blame for rising healthcare costs. people discriminate against fat people because they are the last "safe" group of people for discrimination. even that is going away with how they glamorize being fat. honey boo boo? really? in addition to getting fatter, people are also getting dumber. in 10 years, healthy people of normal body weight will be discriminated against. hell, it has already started happening.
You are right about overweight people being "safe" to discriminate against. I question the extent to which it is glamorized, though. If "honey boo boo" is your evidence then you are not making a very good argument. I believe there are movements afoot for "fat acceptance" but most of the ones with which I am familiar focus on building a positive self image, not glamorizing obesity. Fat people with a positive self image...now there's a scary thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM
 
Location: USA
6,171 posts, read 4,954,982 times
Reputation: 10547
There is absolutely nothing attractive or healthy about being obese. For most people it's very preventable other than the small minority who might have medical issues that result in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Texas
7,808 posts, read 5,450,182 times
Reputation: 6406
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I just don't want to look at fat people. They are everywhere. In the grocery store, the rolls of lard jiggling, holding their arms out to the side because the fat folds won't let them hang down normally, the haunches and huge butts rolling side to side when they walk like two shoats fighting in a sack. I have to look away.

20% of Americans now are a normal weight according to their BMI. How much is it going to cost to have all these people break down and slowly die of heart disease and diabetes? But it is so disgusting to look at. They should get tickets written for the crime of visual pollution.

Move to a place where there is no fat people. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,299 posts, read 10,454,166 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Move to a place where there is no fat people. Problem solved.
North Korea is in a constant state of mild famine. There probably aren't too many fatties there, right? Perhaps he should consider relocating there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,076 posts, read 7,183,777 times
Reputation: 14328
It's just nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
 
2,079 posts, read 2,477,838 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You assume (foolishly) I have an insecurity about my weight. Has it occurred to you that maybe I have a legitimate compassion for people who struggle with weight?
compassion? most of those people PUT themselves in that position. they have nobody else to blame but themselves

Quote:
Is it so hard to believe someone can be in shape but still express support for those who are not?
not if you're a reformed overweight person

Quote:
In fact, without even knowing you I can say with confidence I am in better physical condition that you are. I don't say this as a knock toward you. I am just that sure of myself.
more like conceited.

you might be in better shape, and good for you. but that is not something to brag about in the fashion/beauty forum. i could brag too, but i will not in this forum. that is in very poor taste, and pompous might i add...let me guess, you can also run a sub 4:00 mile and can lift the back of a 4x4 pickup, right? you wanna brag? go to the exercise/fitness forum.

Quote:
I believe there are movements afoot for "fat acceptance" but most of the ones with which I am familiar focus on building a positive self image, not glamorizing obesity.
same difference, just subliminal messaging. if you think honey boo boo is such a bad example, feel free to provide some others. i really dont watch much tv anymore, as that "activity" often contributes to obesity in many. i do see alot of ads for shows for the plus size models and whatnot. say what you want about plus size modelling and positive "body image". but that is just not attractive to me

Quote:
Fat people with a positive self image...now there's a scary thought!
there are alot of them out there, that's what alot of them stay fat. i knew quite a few obese people who think they are god's gift to the opposite sex. inversely, i am a normal, somewhat fit, healthy adult male that feels that i really dont have alot to offer. just a normal person with no special abilities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,299 posts, read 10,454,166 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
compassion? most of those people PUT themselves in that position. they have nobody else to blame but themselves
I don't disagree with you. Alcoholics have done the same thing to themselves. As have drug addicts. And so on. Does that mean we should turn our backs on them if they seek help? Look, I am usually short on sympathy for people who refuse to learn from their mistakes. I am not the most patient person with those who make excuses for themselves, either. But I also know I am not perfect either, and if I can withhold judgment in the interest of helping someone else, I will. I'm sure somewhere along the way in your life you needed help and someone withheld judgment and helped you. If it hasn't already happened it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
not if you're a reformed overweight person
If you genuinely believe this is the only circumstance in which a fit person would support those who are overweight then you have an extremely limited scope of understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
more like conceited.

you might be in better shape, and good for you. but that is not something to brag about in the fashion/beauty forum. i could brag too, but i will not in this forum. that is in very poor taste, and pompous might i add...let me guess, you can also run a sub 4:00 mile and can lift the back of a 4x4 pickup, right? you wanna brag? go to the exercise/fitness forum.
Call it whatever you want. Conceited. Bragging, poor taste, whatever. Pompous. I'm not bragging. You aluded to me being insecure about weight and I countered with a statement of confidence in my own physical conditon relative to yours. You wrongly assumed something about me. If you don't want people responding to your false assumptions maybe you should refrain from making assumptions. Also, I post on the exercise and fitness forum regularly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
same difference, just subliminal messaging. if you think honey boo boo is such a bad example, feel free to provide some others. i really dont watch much tv anymore, as that "activity" often contributes to obesity in many. i do see alot of ads for shows for the plus size models and whatnot. say what you want about plus size modelling and positive "body image". but that is just not attractive to me
And do your work for you? Laughable. You're the one who made the claim obesity is being glamorized so you're the one who should provide the examples. Also, I see nothing wrong with you not being attracted to plus size models, or obese women, etc. I don't fault anyone for liking or disliking a certain type. The only reason I am always piping up on threads like this one is in response to the often low class treatment and ignorant stereotypes furthered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
there are alot of them out there, that's what alot of them stay fat. i knew quite a few obese people who think they are god's gift to the opposite sex. inversely, i am a normal, somewhat fit, healthy adult male that feels that i really dont have alot to offer. just a normal person with no special abilities
Your point being...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top