U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM

832 posts, read 1,316,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL! Yup. The best way to find out if someone meets your active lifestyle is to see them on the field/court/trail/whatever.

Love that ESPN joined the bandwagon on this*
Prince Fielder's Naked ESPN Cover Is Sexy As Hell

*FYI all the ladies on my Facebook feed voted "hot" on this cover!
I'm glad someone brought that mag. cover into this thread. I happened to catch "The Talk" the other day (a show I normally avoid) and I first saw...

At least we know discrimination against fat models isn't just towards the women.

We need reminders that not only one type of "athletic body" exists. I think that is part of the problem with some people being inactive and unhealthy, they've bought into the message that you're only athletic if you look one certain way, and if you don't or can't look that way there's something wrong with you.

The people (especially guys) putting down Fielder couldn't do what he does--I'd like to see them try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,181,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's "rate" not "index." BMI, which you cited, is body mass index and is a laughable metric for gauging who is overweight/obese and who is not.
It's a good guideline because most people don't workout. And even for those who workout, it's still a good guideline because most of us like to believe we have more muscle than we actually do.

Even at my heaviest(230lbs+ at 5'8) my cardio and endurance was way above average for my age group but there was no reason to be that obese, even though I was physically strong(I could still do chin ups at that heavy weight).

Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,684,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Yeah the best measurement to go by is bodyfat percentage, and most methods of calculating that aren't particularly accurate. But we have a good idea of what the healthy range is for both women and men so as long as you stay within that it's all good. That way it leaves out naturally wide pelvis/chest cavity/muscle mass/what have you.
Absolutely! It's not how much you weigh...it's "what percentage of that weight is fat?"

Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 AM

10,331 posts, read 10,482,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
It's a good guideline because most people don't workout. And even for those who workout, it's still a good guideline because most of us like to believe we have more muscle than we actually do.

Even at my heaviest(230lbs+ at 5'8) my cardio and endurance was way above average for my age group but there was no reason to be that obese, even though I was physically strong(I could still do chin ups at that heavy weight).
BMI does not even factor muscle mass or bone density. All that goes into it is height and weight. No other dimensions at all. Body fat percentage is a much better metric for determing overall fitness or body composition.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,604,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
So what does this mean, you find some loon that thinks this way and this is the voice of all fat women?

Come on people you can do better than spend your time trying to humiliate people who don't fit your perfect molds. I've never met one single person large or small that thinks because someone isn't attracted to big people that means they are some kind of sexual deviant for that matter, most that I know have no expectation or need to have most people be attracted to us at our size. Just like age, race, some people are obsessed with overweight women and spend too much time finding ways to disparage them anyway possible. I could come up with all kinds of post about why I find women built like men/too muscled unattractive, or men without arsses, lacking stong manly features, but I don't spend countless moments posting such dribble. It appears too many of you just get off on hearing yourselves berated others just for the sake of boosting your own self worth. It's quite petty and the fact that you can't see this behavior as such speaks volumes.
Did you not read that persons blog post? Surely you didn't based on the reply that you gave me.

Instead of jumping the gun, please use deductive reasoning next time around. Be fair, be rational, be logical, and don't use any logical fallacies.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,285,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Did you not read that persons blog post? Surely you didn't based on the reply that you gave me.

Instead of jumping the gun, please use deductive reasoning next time around. Be fair, be rational, be logical, and don't use any logical fallacies.
Uh, OK. Don't get where you come up with your conclusions about my posting, the wording you use to describe my post is quite humorous if not indeed illogical.

You posted a link to a blog some loony person whom has some warped view on people who aren't attracted to fat people and I stated my feelings were that your doing so was just adding fuel to keep a negative stance going on in the thread toward people of larger sizes, just because people feel they can do so for the fun of it without thought. It certainly hasn't been for the sake of educating anyone. In turn I voiced my view on your post making it clear that the view of the person in that blog should have no reflection on the people discussed in the thread or in society period, I'm sure a select few people may share such views just like there a select few idiots that post ignorant statements of all kinds of thoughts. If left to it's on devices, I can just imagine all the sheep that would have pounced on it and used it as some example as how fat people as a group were labeling men.

Does it bother you that my post may have temporarily interviened? If so, not to worry, as you can see, it's started up again.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM

877 posts, read 1,028,462 times
Tyra did an experiment in a fat body suit and she said she was treated differently. When she went into stores the workers never tended to her as quickly as they did the thinner clients and they didn't make eye contact with her.

We all have preferences for body types, weight, height, eye color, skin color, race, religion etc. so if that counts as discrimination then everyone discriminates.

I just don't understand obsessing over hating fat people. Sure, rolls, excessive stretch marks & cellulite may not be pleasing to the eye but there's no reason to go on and on about how much you hate fat people. We live in a country where 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese.

And while BMI is not necessarily 100% accurate, the average person doesn't have as much muscle as they like to think(in order to justify BMI being crappy). They have relatively high body fat percentages.

If someone doesn't care about their health, so be it. Almost every overweight person online claims to eat like a bird while running marathons. Let them believe the delusions.

There's a fat acceptance movement for a reason. When half of a country is overweight you need warriors to fight against the minority (stick thin people)

I don't agree with bullying them, but I also don't agree with coddling them.

In Asia, employers will tell you when you're too fat for them to hire or keep. But in the US it's a no no. But then again it's not socially acceptable to be overweight as a majority are of a normal weight

Old 07-12-2014, 11:33 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,285,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Tyra did an experiment in a fat body suit and she said she was treated differently. When she went into stores the workers never tended to her as quickly as they did the thinner clients and they didn't make eye contact with her.

We all have preferences for body types, weight, height, eye color, skin color, race, religion etc. so if that counts as discrimination then everyone discriminates.

I just don't understand obsessing over hating fat people. Sure, rolls, excessive stretch marks & cellulite may not be pleasing to the eye but there's no reason to go on and on about how much you hate fat people. We live in a country where 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese.

And while BMI is not necessarily 100% accurate, the average person doesn't have as much muscle as they like to think(in order to justify BMI being crappy). They have relatively high body fat percentages.

If someone doesn't care about their health, so be it. Almost every overweight person online claims to eat like a bird while running marathons. Let them believe the delusions.

There's a fat acceptance movement for a reason. When half of a country is overweight you need warriors to fight against the minority (stick thin people)

I don't agree with bullying them, but I also don't agree with coddling them.

In Asia, employers will tell you when you're too fat for them to hire or keep. But in the US it's a no no. But then again it's not socially acceptable to be overweight as a majority are of a normal weight
I agree with you, coddling isn't an answer. Now as far as following examples though, do we really want to look to Asia for leadership as to how one should treat human beings in general? We as a country have our faults, but really, Asia.

I'm not bothered by people's disgust with my body, people will find one reason or another not to like each other. I don't sit around making excuses for my fat sexy arse. . Being overweight of course is an issue, but there's way more to the stats that we're bombarded with in this country. If the day ever comes when it is discussed in a way that's intelligent where people are open and seem informed and not just going with anecdotal information they've been spoon fed or at least have something worthwhile to offer to a conversation and not just looking for every opportunity to denigrate and make putdowns then I can listen to what they have to say with an open mind, but most people aren't reading medical journals, doing research, they're just going with the little regurgitated information they've gathered day to day or by what they've see, nothing actually factual.

Have we gotten fatter in this country, yes, but the reasons are way more complicated than the people spewing their hate nonsense care to understand, so having a discussion here won't do anything but bring on more of the same hateful nonsense that continues to pollute the space as usual. Some have already made attempts to offer reasonable information, but just like you have your sides when it comes to political parties, some won't budge one way or another depending on the side of the party lines they fall. I'm not interested in beating my head into pulp, but I do say me piece once and a while in these threads just for the sake of my fellow fat men, women and children.

I'm fat, no thyroid issues here, I'm not trying to stay fat, but at the same time, no shame in my game, not putting my life on hold till I meet some magical BMI that I know I'll never read, not will the Michael Jordans of the world for that matter. I'll likely be long gone before I can come even slightly close to a mythical number that sets me in line with what would make me considered not fat, so I'm good with this body, just trying not to get any fatter and would like to drop a few, but I'm not stressing it if I don't regardless of the people who do the shame gaming. For those that mean well, appreciate your caring, but it really isn't going to help those you sincerely wish to encourage and help. I know some really do want to see people make changes for their own good health, but shaming them isn't the answer.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 AM

877 posts, read 1,028,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I agree with you, coddling isn't an answer. Now as far as following examples though, do we really want to look to Asia for leadership as to how one should treat human beings in general? We as a country have our faults, but really, Asia.

I'm not bothered by people's disgust with my body, people will find one reason or another not to like each other. I don't sit around making excuses for my fat sexy arse. . Being overweight of course is an issue, but there's way more to the stats that we're bombarded with in this country. If the day ever comes when it is discussed in a way that's intelligent where people are open and seem informed and not just going with anecdotal information they've been spoon fed or at least have something worthwhile to offer to a conversation and not just looking for every opportunity to denigrate and make putdowns then I can listen to what they have to say with an open mind, but most people aren't reading medical journals, doing research, they're just going with the little regurgitated information they've gathered day to day or by what they've see, nothing actually factual.

Have we gotten fatter in this country, yes, but the reasons are way more complicated than the people spewing their hate nonsense care to understand, so having a discussion here won't do anything but bring on more of the same hateful nonsense that continues to pollute the space as usual. Some have already made attempts to offer reasonable information, but just like you have your sides when it comes to political parties, some won't budge one way or another depending on the side of the party lines they fall. I'm not interested in beating my head into pulp, but I do say me piece once and a while in these threads just for the sake of my fellow fat men, women and children.

I'm fat, no thyroid issues here, I'm not trying to stay fat, but at the same time, no shame in my game, not putting my life on hold till I meet some magical BMI that I know I'll never read, not will the Michael Jordans of the world for that matter. I'll likely be long gone before I can come even slightly close to a mythical number that sets me in line with what would make me considered not fat, so I'm good with this body, just trying not to get any fatter and would like to drop a few, but I'm not stressing it if I don't regardless of the people who do the shame gaming. For those that mean well, appreciate your caring, but it really isn't going to help those you sincerely wish to encourage and help. I know some really do want to see people make changes for their own good health, but shaming them isn't the answer.
I mentioned Asia because they for live in a trophy society like we do in the US. Everyone isn't a winner, everyone isn't intelligent, bright, meant to earn 6 figures or attend college. But in the US we dare not say so

I don't necessarily see why the reasons behind a persons obesity matter. Like I said I don't believe in coddling but I also don't believe in bullying or shaming. Same goes for thin people (who often claim to be bullied).

If a person is not sexually attracted then what are the supposed to do? Apologize?
But at the same time I don't understand (usually guys) who go on and on about how much they hate fat chicks, how gross they are etc.

Also, of course people will base opinions off of what they see. People do this with race as well and statistics pretty much support general opinion towards certain races.

I really only question why people in the US have tons of excuses that people in Europe and Asia don't have as far as weight goes. I see blame going towards everyone else but themselves.

If you ask me my experiences with fat people, there are exceptions. I know people with thyroid issues or PCOS. But those are only a few. The rest eat fast food 3x a day, sometimes eating 2 burgers in a row or 2 servings of fries. They don't like to exercise and they won't do so. But those are my experiences. Doesn't mean everyone is like that, but it's what I've seen. Either way, still wouldn't excuse bullying them or treating them different (especially since I work at a fitness studio)

Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 AM

26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Fat bias and discrimination is the only socially acceptable "ism" these days. It is totally ok to stereotype and prejudge based in appearance, as long as that appearance is overweight.

Personally I know there is size discrimination, but it is not something I have experienced much. I typically get really good service in stores and stuff. I have had a few shopping while black experiences, but most of the time it is the polar opposite. People are extra nice, they tell me about coupons, and I get free stuff (from men and women).

Workers remember that I have come to their place or recognize me at other places (even if I am not a regular). I can't tell you how many times I've run into a barista or retail,worker somewhere else and they stop and chat. All sorts of things. (My sister as well, we look pretty similar and are fairly friendly and bubbly). It is bizarre. My friends pick in me about it, and when it happens to them they call it "having a jade day."

I think there is something to be said for being confident and comfy in your own skin, but clearly according to this thread that's not allowed if you are overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty