U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 879,958 times
Reputation: 1011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a big difference between having below average height and being a dwarf/little person/midget. Not particularly in the same league.

I don't think modeling is a good example of a career that "height discriminates." And yes I have seen the stats that most senior executives are taller than average. They are also a lot whiter than average so clearly this is any area that has a lot of discrimination.

But I don't see an epidemic of short bashing. Let's put it this way. There is no ban on "weight threads" on C-D. There are at least 3 floating around right now in great debates, exercise and her in fashion all about bashing overweight people.
Reading your posts lead me to conclude that you're having trouble understanding me (or are totally ignoring my point because you know I'm right). I've said ad nauseum that weight discrimination isn't the only socially acceptable form. It doesn't matter who has it worse...when it's socially acceptable, it's socially acceptable. You made it seem, no you actually said, that weight discrimination is the ONLY acceptable form and that is not true. I gave you plenty of examples to refute that comment and, surprise, surprise, you're reaching to dispute that. Also, notice how you said there's no ban on weight threads? That's because many more guys complained about height discrimination in the dating world than overweight women that it became too redundant. I'm sure if it were the same for weight threads, the mods would put a stop to that also.

Oh, and modeling is a PERFECT example of height discrimination. It basically says shorter people aren't attractive enough to model the company's apparel/whatever type of gear they're advertising. Isn't this the same thing bigger women complain about?

I also like how you said, "And yes I have seen the stats that most senior executives are taller than average. They are also a lot whiter than average so clearly this is any area that has a lot of discrimination." So you can simply brush off that type of discrimination, but can't brush off the discrimination against overweight people? Interesting.

BTW, the word midget is considered a derogatory term. It's a word similar to the ones you despise describing overweight people. You're now coming across as a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,896 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26044
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Reading your posts lead me to conclude that you're having trouble understanding me (or are totally ignoring my point because you know I'm right). I've said ad nauseum that weight discrimination isn't the only socially acceptable form. It doesn't matter who has it worse...when it's socially acceptable, it's socially acceptable. You made it seem, no you actually said, that weight discrimination is the ONLY acceptable form and that is not true. I gave you plenty of examples to refute that comment and, surprise, surprise, you're reaching to dispute that. Also, notice how you said there's no ban on weight threads? That's because many more guys complained about height discrimination in the dating world than overweight women that it became too redundant. I'm sure if it were the same for weight threads, the mods would put a stop to that also.
Men create the height threads and the overweight women threads. I don't recall ever seeing a woman post a thread that said "OMG short guys are so gross and should stay at home"

The reason I believe that weight is the only socially acceptable one is because we tend to not let things that are "outside of your control" be something used to discriminate. But we, as a society, do believe it is a personal choice to be overweight, so people have choice to change. Notice the language around being gay has shifted in 2 decades to emphasize that people are born gay, and they do not choose to be gay.

So people feel perfectly fine doing things like saying "I don't want fat people on my plane." Dating preferences are not the same as subjective factors in employment.

In my daily life I hear zero comments about short people. There are loads of short people floating around, and in some neighborhoods most of the men are my height. Maybe in Sweden there are endless comments about short people, but I just don't see it.

Quote:
I also like how you said, "And yes I have seen the stats that most senior executives are taller than average. They are also a lot whiter than average so clearly this is any area that has a lot of discrimination." So you can simply brush off that type of discrimination, but can't brush off the discrimination against overweight people?
this isn't really in topic! but I think the issues in corporate America are multi-layered and intersectional. It would be extraordinarily difficult to factor in height alone as a discrimination, since you need to factor out lots of subjective elements as well (class, connections, social status, attractiveness,charisma, likability)
Quote:
BTW, the word midget is considered a derogatory term. It's a word similar to the ones you despise describing overweight people. You're now coming across as a hypocrite.
Perhaps you are confusing my posts with someone else's. I haven't stated any word preferences at all related to weight on c-d or anywhere. I also commented I am not particularly sure of the appropriate words for "little people." When I was younger the m-word was the approved word. I personally haven't met any, and my favorite way to describe people is to use their own choice of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 879,958 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Men create the height threads and the overweight women threads. I don't recall ever seeing a woman post a thread that said "OMG short guys are so gross and should stay at home"
Interesting...if men are the ones complaining about height and how they're treated, doesn't that prove to you that height discrimination does exist?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The reason I believe that weight is the only socially acceptable one is because we tend to not let things that are "outside of your control" be something used to discriminate. But we, as a society, do believe it is a personal choice to be overweight, so people have choice to change. Notice the language around being gay has shifted in 2 decades to emphasize that people are born gay, and they do not choose to be gay.
Now I KNOW you don't know what you're talking about. I'm telling you that I, as a short person, have dealt with such discrimination. I've been called anywhere from shrimp to hobbit. I'm not an anomaly either (and I've already posted plenty of examples which, again, you're choosing to ignore). Do you understand that a component of discrimination is that it makes others feel better about themselves? In the Western world, being tall is pretty much winning the genetics lottery. Many taller people have no qualms about putting down others for being shorter than them to build themselves up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So people feel perfectly fine doing things like saying "I don't want fat people on my plane." Dating preferences are not the same as subjective factors in employment.
It's not the dating preferences as so much it's the comments that go with it. Some people think it's socially acceptable to call people shrimp/little man/etc. If you lived my life, you would've actually heard some of the negative comments that come out of people's mouths in and out of the dating realm. It's totally fine to tell a man that he's to puny to date. Tell a woman she's to big to date and he's considered a shallow *******.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In my daily life I hear zero comments about short people. There are loads of short people floating around, and in some neighborhoods most of the men are my height. Maybe in Sweden there are endless comments about short people, but I just don't see it.
Once again, just because you don't see or hear it doesn't mean it's not there. How about if I told you that weight discrimination doesn't happen because I don't see or hear it on a daily basis? That doesn't make any sense, does it?

As I've already told you, the reason you don't hear about it is because it's fully acceptable in our society. Nobody cares about the issues of short men. Like most other men, they are told to keep their feelings bottled since it's not "manly." They're also told to "man up" or some similar suggestion. Read some of the comments of those threads and you'll see what I mean. Now regarding overweight women, there are plenty of outlets for them to voice their displeasure at their mistreatment. Women are generally allowed to complain and speak of their emotions. Why do you think there are plenty of talk shows dealing with that topic?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
this isn't really in topic! but I think the issues in corporate America are multi-layered and intersectional. It would be extraordinarily difficult to factor in height alone as a discrimination, since you need to factor out lots of subjective elements as well (class, connections, social status, attractiveness,charisma, likability)
True, but by that logic, you can't use weight discrimination as an excuse for denied job opportunities, either. Obviously, the employer isn't going to tell you the exact reason they decided not to hire someone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Perhaps you are confusing my posts with someone else's. I haven't stated any word preferences at all related to weight on c-d or anywhere. I also commented I am not particularly sure of the appropriate words for "little people." When I was younger the m-word was the approved word. I personally haven't met any, and my favorite way to describe people is to use their own choice of words.
You're whole argument is based on how overweight people are treated, right? That includes the derogatory comments you're complaining about as well. Nowhere in this thread did I say anything derogatory about overweight people. You used the m-word which is highly offensive to little people. If you want people to be sensitive about overweight people, I'd suggest you be just as sensitive in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,323 posts, read 10,471,965 times
Reputation: 13283
rs4, if I may ask, how tall are you?

I ask out of curiosity because "tall" and "short" or "fat" and "skinny" are all subjective terms to a certain degree. Only the extremes are more or less agreed upon universally. I've read a few of those "the world is against us short men" threads and was surprised to learn on a few occassions some of the guys complaining were taller than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 879,958 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
rs4, if i may ask, how tall are you?

I ask out of curiosity because "tall" and "short" or "fat" and "skinny" are all subjective terms to a certain degree. Only the extremes are more or less agreed upon universally. I've read a few of those "the world is against us short men" threads and was surprised to learn on a few occassions some of the guys complaining were taller than i am.
5'3".

BTW, how tall are you? Usually, guys far below average height (like me) get it the worst. It's not as bad for women in my height range, though. They're usually the ones who think guys like me are too short for them lol.

Once again, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I just find it ridiculous that one can condemn one type of discrimination while completely brushing off another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,896 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Reputation: 26044
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
5'3".

BTW, how tall are you? Usually, guys far below average height (like me) get it the worst. It's not as bad for women in my height range, though. They're usually the ones who think guys like me are too short for them lol.

Once again, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I just find it ridiculous that one can condemn one type of discrimination while completely brushing off another.
Where do you live? I'm 5'4 and let's just say men around your height are pretty common around here. We've got lots of immigrants from ethnic groups with a shorter than the US average height. At least 25% (or more) of the men I see are about my height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,323 posts, read 10,471,965 times
Reputation: 13283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
5'3".

BTW, how tall are you? Usually, guys far below average height (like me) get it the worst. It's not as bad for women in my height range, though. They're usually the ones who think guys like me are too short for them lol.

Once again, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I just find it ridiculous that one can condemn one type of discrimination while completely brushing off another.
I'm 5'7" which is slightly below average for American males. I understand 5'9" is about the average in the U.S. Like I said, I asked because on a few of the "height" threads guys who are taller than me have complained about it. I'm not very tall and have never suffered for it, though. I'd say at least 1/4 of the women I dated were taller than me. I've had others who were interested in dating me but I was the one who passed on them (and not because they were taller than me).

And in Jade's defense, I don't think she is fully "brushing off" your concerns. But like I said earlier, fat discrimination is a very stylish sport. Height discrimination, while still real especially to those affected by it, is not as openly mainstream, indicating some still see it as a taboo to engage in. Such inhibitions toward overweight women...nearly non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Status: "So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late." (set 11 days ago)
 
3,271 posts, read 1,477,842 times
Reputation: 6381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Really? Heightism? Where do "short people" get seriously discriminated. Denied job opportunities? I don't see it. There are rarely derogatory portrayals of short people in the mass media. There is no phenomena of news stories on "shorties" that cute of their heads/faces and only show their bodies to demonstrate the "issues."
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm 5'7" which is slightly below average for American males. I understand 5'9" is about the average in the U.S. Like I said, I asked because on a few of the "height" threads guys who are taller than me have complained about it. I'm not very tall and have never suffered for it, though. I'd say at least 1/4 of the women I dated were taller than me. I've had others who were interested in dating me but I was the one who passed on them (and not because they were taller than me).

And in Jade's defense, I don't think she is fully "brushing off" your concerns. But like I said earlier, fat discrimination is a very stylish sport. Height discrimination, while still real especially to those affected by it, is not as openly mainstream, indicating some still see it as a taboo to engage in. Such inhibitions toward overweight women...nearly non-existent.
We must be reading comments from a different jade408 then

I might agree that height isn't relevant to the discussion of weight and might be derailing, and I would agree that women's weight gets scrutinized more than men's height issues. However, men's height as a demographic marker has an impact on all aspects of life (social, academic, professional), and jade408 summarily dismissed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 879,958 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where do you live? I'm 5'4 and let's just say men around your height are pretty common around here. We've got lots of immigrants from ethnic groups with a shorter than the US average height. At least 25% (or more) of the men I see are about my height.
NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm 5'7" which is slightly below average for American males. I understand 5'9" is about the average in the U.S. Like I said, I asked because on a few of the "height" threads guys who are taller than me have complained about it. I'm not very tall and have never suffered for it, though. I'd say at least 1/4 of the women I dated were taller than me. I've had others who were interested in dating me but I was the one who passed on them (and not because they were taller than me).

And in Jade's defense, I don't think she is fully "brushing off" your concerns. But like I said earlier, fat discrimination is a very stylish sport. Height discrimination, while still real especially to those affected by it, is not as openly mainstream, indicating some still see it as a taboo to engage in. Such inhibitions toward overweight women...nearly non-existent.

If you were as short as I were, you'd see what I mean. At least overweight people have support to stand against it. We have nothing.

In any event, regardless of who has it worse, Jade is still wrong in that weight discrimination is not the only (key word) acceptable form. That was really the point I was trying to make until the thread spiraled out of control. She says it is despite someone telling her who, might I add, lived through it for years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
We must be reading comments from a different jade408 then

I might agree that height isn't relevant to the discussion of weight and might be derailing, and I would agree that women's weight gets scrutinized more than men's height issues. However, men's height as a demographic marker has an impact on all aspects of life (social, academic, professional), and jade408 summarily dismissed that.
Exactly. I never tried to make this into a "who has it worse" contest. I was just saying that weight discrimination isn't the only acceptable one. Her brushing it off as "It doesn't happen because I don't see it" is no different than people dismissing the feelings of overweight people. Yet, here she is complaining about people dismissing the feelings of overweight people.

I'm glad you see it. Thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,073 posts, read 1,946,578 times
Reputation: 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I



Your point being...?

I'm thinking the guy got rebuffed/turned down by a woman who is overweight...and his bitterness has grown into his current state of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top