U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 AM

706 posts, read 912,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where does this weird idea that everyone who is overweight eats entire pizzas, cases of soda and quarts of ice cream all day come from. I have no clue why it is so hard to understand that our environment (including the built environment) have had a huge impact on our health.

50-60 years ago, people had main streets they cold walk to for errands, they walked or rode their bikes to school. After the car era we engineered walking (and activity) out of our cities and lives, eliminating sidewalks, crosswalks, and setting up things at a distance that is so far the only way to get there is to hop in your car.

We went from having an economy built on chive blue collar jobs to sedentary desk and service jobs. We started processing all of our food into food-like substances, and made those food like substances cheaper than real food.

And then we somehow wonder why the average American's weight is increasing....
At some point, people who are overweight have to take some personal responsibility for how they've ended up and how to fix the problem. You can't seriously think that not having a sidewalk is a legitimate excuse for why people can't or don't exercise. So you work at a job where you sit at your desk all day. Does that mean you can't take a walk on your breaks or get in some physical activity after work or on the weekends?

I'm sorry but I have to agree that most people are likely overweight because they choose not to eat healthy, whole foods and they choose to sit in front of a tv or gaming system instead of exercising. So in that sense...other than those who have a legitimate health issue that prevents weight management...yes, they choose to be fat. I sometimes watch what fat people put into their carts at the store, and it usually is not fruits and veggies. It's usually ice cream, cookies, cakes, frozen pizzas and other garbage. I'd say that's the main reason nearly 70% of Americans are overweight and/or obese. I'm not saying that they should be discriminated against for being so...but at what point does one get tired of being ostracized before they make a change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,872,149 times
Overweight people usually lack self control and also don't realize how much better they would feel if they ate healthy on a regular basis.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is so much evidence out there that doctors ignore the concerns of overweight patients, because they think all of the issues are actually weight related. And refuse to look for any other cause. And it can easily lead to horrible health outcomes.

Scientific study: PLOS ONE: Implicit and Explicit Anti-Fat Bias among a Large Sample of Medical Doctors by BMI, Race/Ethnicity and Gender
Doctors are bad at rapport building withAn larger patients: Doctors Feel Less Connected to Obese Patients, Study Suggests - US News
Another study: Size profiling discriminates against overweight patients | UCLA

So if you can't even get your doctor to listen to you when you are overweight....well.....
Jade, I used to work with a woman who had a similar story to yours. She was a big lady, and was unapologetic about it. She was having foot pain and went to urgent care and the doctor was all, "lose weight, blood pressure, you need to be healthier, etc." and sent her home with some Advil. When the pain didn't go away she went to her regular doctor who x-rayed her foot and found she had a broken bone. Not weight-related at all.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Status: "So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late." (set 4 days ago)

3,266 posts, read 1,471,104 times
Overweight people are not responsible for the ****ty treatment they receive. The ****ty people who mistreat them are.

I'm 6-1 and about 175, BTW.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
At some point, people who are overweight have to take some personal responsibility for how they've ended up and how to fix the problem. You can't seriously think that not having a sidewalk is a legitimate excuse for why people can't or don't exercise. So you work at a job where you sit at your desk all day. Does that mean you can't take a walk on your breaks or get in some physical activity after work or on the weekends?
Taking a couple walks during the day isn't going to cause anyone to "lose weight." Although their health will likely improve. Actually weight isn't the problem, everyone needs to be more active and eat "real food." If you think that only "overweight people" aren't doing these habits, you are totally wrong.

A key premise of being an American is the "rights of the individual" and that "individuals" have control of their outcomes. Our motto is to pick yourself up by your boot straps (which assumes everyone has access boots and straps) Meanwhile we have laws and other practices that dictate how society works. Let's ignore weight for a second, and think about the ways the discrimination, racism and segregation were sanctioned by laws and practices. Even though we are supposed to be a country of individuals with free will. You can look at zoning laws, or even all of the issues around health care in this country. The american individualism mindset makes it very very difficult for use to talk about health issues, and I do want to disconnect weight from health in this case, because we think everything is determined by individual choice and has zero societal influence.

Quote:
I'm sorry but I have to agree that most people are likely overweight because they choose not to eat healthy, whole foods and they choose to sit in front of a tv or gaming system instead of exercising. So in that sense...other than those who have a legitimate health issue that prevents weight management...yes, they choose to be fat. I sometimes watch what fat people put into their carts at the store, and it usually is not fruits and veggies. It's usually ice cream, cookies, cakes, frozen pizzas and other garbage. I'd say that's the main reason nearly 70% of Americans are overweight and/or obese. I'm not saying that they should be discriminated against for being so...but at what point does one get tired of being ostracized before they make a change?
You only notice what is in the "overweight" peoples carts. I shop at whole foods pretty often. I happen to not buy produce there because it is over priced. I also happen to live in a "slim" metro. Guess what, everyone has processed stuff in their carts. At all sizes. I don't spend much time at the "regular" grocery store. I imagine it is much the same.

Many Americans don't eat enough produce, and drink a liter of soda a day, but we only notice if the person is overweight. I stopped drinking soda on a regular basis when I was around 14. I am sure you look at a pic of me and assume "oh she probably drinks so much soda!" reality is, I drink it 1-3 times a month. Meanwhile my two slim best friends only stopped drinking 3 sodas a day in the past couple years, and I have known them for 2 decades. But I am sure you assume they eat really "healthfully" because they are slimmer than I.

To solve the health crisis we are in, we need to stop focusing on the scales of people who are overweight, and focus on the habits of our society as a whole: and make sure everyone, at all sizes is eating well and getting proper exercise. Not everyone will be "slim" but everyone can be healthy if they adopt healthy habits.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post

i actually feel i am being discriminated against. it is difficult to find pants in my size(30-32 waist) without shopping at the baby GAP or some hipster place.
That's because you are sized like a child. I don't know how tall you are, but that is a very thin size. Embrace it or gain some weight.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,399 posts, read 50,602,810 times
People often feel discriminated against when it's simply not true. I remember interviewing someone for a job that was grossly obese. We would have had to provide a custom-made chair and work station for him. If he had been the best candidate we would have done it, but he was way down the list based solely on job related factors such as answers to the interview questions, experience and skills. It's easier for one's self-esteem to blame discrimination for a physical characteristic than to admit to being a weak candidate for a job. When it comes to something like clothing and the availability of large sizes, the market is going to target the greatest audience it can to make money. That means average sizes, for normal clothing, and "perfect" sizes for designer clothing that would appeal to those with the most to spend, who will pay for personal trainers, or even surgery to maintain their "perfect" shape. If someone weighing 400 lbs sat next to me on a bus, and I got up to find another seat or stand, it would likely be taken as discrimination, but if I did so it would be only because I felt uncomfortable and cramped with someone rubbing into me.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,477,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's because you are sized like a child. I don't know how tall you are, but that is a very thin size. Embrace it or gain some weight.
i used to be a 38....but thanks for that

Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i used to be a 38....but thanks for that

You're welcome. And congratulations.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
So are we now calling personal preferences "discrimination"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty