U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 PM
 
706 posts, read 912,068 times
Reputation: 1466

Advertisements

It's not just me seeing what heavy people put in Their carts that lead me to the conclusion that they are overweight mostly due to poor decision making. I often have people come up,to me in the gym or at my kids' school and ask me how I manage to stay so slim/fit. When I tell them how strict my diet and exercise habits are, inevitably I get one or more of the following responses.

"Oh I hate working out, I'm lazy"

"You eat like that everyday? I could never eat like that, I love (pizza/chips/insert other junk foods here) way too much to give it up"

"How do you ever have any fun eating like that? You need to live a little." (As if having a healthy diet is akin to dying a slow but sure death vs eating lots of junk)

Also when I trained people and they couldn't understand why they couldn't lose weight despite working out, I'd ask them about their diet. All of my clients who were unsuccessful had a common theme of eating too many bad foods and not nearly enough (if any) healthy foods. These experiences have led me to believe and accept that most people (not all) are and stay fat because of their own poor choices. When talking to other people who are fit, they and I admit to occasionally eating junk, but it's a rare thing. Most of the fit people I know maintain strict eating and exercising habits. I don't think it's a coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Reputation: 19578
Of course they do! Take a trip to the relationships forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
 
156 posts, read 156,525 times
Reputation: 280
Yeah, but as someone brilliantly put it on the first page, everyone's discriminated against for some reason.

Some people have it worse than others, but that's life. (And as a black male who's lived in poverty, I'm not saying this from the outside.)

And there will always be plenty of people who will accept them for who they are, too, so they can find those - easier said than done, but doable - and ignore those who don't. Also, just like there's negative discrimination, there's positive discrimination - a lot of people prefer fat folks, they're just usually quieter about it because they don't like being harassed by shallower friends and family about their choices. Often, they have to be found on the internet. But they're out there.

But one thing I'll never get is why so many fat people - of both genders - place so much value in finding a thinner, conventionally attractive partner. IMO, it's like all those idiots in their sixties chasing twenty-year-old women. Don't get me wrong, if someone like that chooses to date you, awesome. But if you're deliberately trying to "date up" to prove a point, and turning people down because they resemble you, what does that say about your self-esteem? And you can't cry discrimination if they don't like you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
 
706 posts, read 912,068 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Yeah, but as someone brilliantly put it on the first page, everyone's discriminated against for some reason.

Some people have it worse than others, but that's life. (And as a black male who's lived in poverty, I'm not saying this from the outside.)

And there will always be plenty of people who will accept them for who they are, too, so they can find those - easier said than done, but doable - and ignore those who don't. Also, just like there's negative discrimination, there's positive discrimination - a lot of people prefer fat folks, they're just usually quieter about it because they don't like being harassed by shallower friends and family about their choices. Often, they have to be found on the internet. But they're out there.

But one thing I'll never get is why so many fat people - of both genders - place so much value in finding a thinner, conventionally attractive partner. IMO, it's like all those idiots in their sixties chasing twenty-year-old women. Don't get me wrong, if someone like that chooses to date you, awesome. But if you're deliberately trying to "date up" to prove a point, and turning people down because they resemble you, what does that say about your self-esteem? And you can't cry discrimination if they don't like you back.
I've noticed this moreso in women. My theory is that women especially who are fat, don't know they're fat. So many people have distorted the term "curvy" and many men admit to wanting a curvy woman. However, too many women think they are curvy, and therefore most men's "ideal". I honestly think that they don't realize they passed "curvy" a few years and a couple hundred cheeseburgers ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
It's not just me seeing what heavy people put in Their carts that lead me to the conclusion that they are overweight mostly due to poor decision making. I often have people come up,to me in the gym or at my kids' school and ask me how I manage to stay so slim/fit. When I tell them how strict my diet and exercise habits are, inevitably I get one or more of the following responses.

"Oh I hate working out, I'm lazy"

"You eat like that everyday? I could never eat like that, I love (pizza/chips/insert other junk foods here) way too much to give it up"

"How do you ever have any fun eating like that? You need to live a little." (As if having a healthy diet is akin to dying a slow but sure death vs eating lots of junk)

Also when I trained people and they couldn't understand why they couldn't lose weight despite working out, I'd ask them about their diet. All of my clients who were unsuccessful had a common theme of eating too many bad foods and not nearly enough (if any) healthy foods. These experiences have led me to believe and accept that most people (not all) are and stay fat because of their own poor choices. When talking to other people who are fit, they and I admit to occasionally eating junk, but it's a rare thing. Most of the fit people I know maintain strict eating and exercising habits. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I've watched a few episodes of that show on TLC, "My 600 Pound Life", and it seems as though most of the don't even know HOW to eat healthy. They were raised on junk food, so how are they expected to figure it out? I'm lucky that I had a mother who knew how to cook and was health conscious. We never had bags of chips, soda, pizza, fast food on a regular basis. Every meal included vegetables and we always had fresh fruit in the house. Fast food was a rare "treat". But I know adults my age who don't even know how to cook!

It seems like some sort of nutrition/cooking/healthy eating class needs to be mandatory in all our high schools since kids aren't always learning at home. When people think french fries= vegetables, there's a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
 
156 posts, read 156,525 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I've noticed this moreso in women. My theory is that women especially who are fat, don't know they're fat. So many people have distorted the term "curvy" and many men admit to wanting a curvy woman. However, too many women think they are curvy, and therefore most men's "ideal". I honestly think that they don't realize they passed "curvy" a few years and a couple hundred cheeseburgers ago.
That's another thing that bothers me - people who refuse to just say what they ****ing are. It's ironic, because if they were to own it, chances are they'd be happier and people would appreciate their honesty. Most fat people I know who accept it and have a sense of humor about it get on much better than the ones who don't.

Hiding it behind other terms also perpetuates the bigotry, because the subconscious message is that fat is so demonic they can't even speak it's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
 
706 posts, read 912,068 times
Reputation: 1466
True some don't know what healthy eating really is. However, when you pay a fitness professional to give you some guidance and educate you on how to eat, your can't dismiss the info because you think change is scary. I have gone as far as writing people long, detailed emails explaining how to change their shopping and eating habits for the better (at their request mind you) for FREE and they go largely ignored. Then a week later I'm looking at their Facebook status where they're having yet another greasy meal. But then they wonder why they can't shed the weight. I got burned out on trying to help very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Reputation: 25975
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've watched a few episodes of that show on TLC, "My 600 Pound Life", and it seems as though most of the don't even know HOW to eat healthy. They were raised on junk food, so how are they expected to figure it out? I'm lucky that I had a mother who knew how to cook and was health conscious. We never had bags of chips, soda, pizza, fast food on a regular basis. Every meal included vegetables and we always had fresh fruit in the house. Fast food was a rare "treat". But I know adults my age who don't even know how to cook!

It seems like some sort of nutrition/cooking/healthy eating class needs to be mandatory in all our high schools since kids aren't always learning at home. When people think french fries= vegetables, there's a problem
My 600 pound life isn't even remotely representative of the average overweight person's life? How often do you even see people who weigh over ~400 pounds in real life. Obviously to be on that show you have to be pretty extreme.

The average "fat" person walking around looks a lot more like:
Real women have curves on Pinterest

Not exactly "waddling" around. Most of those ladies are in the size 14-18 (US) neighborhood.


**RE: rep comment about my fractured toe? It was a minor, I cold have got a cast but it wouldn't have really helped. I chose smart shoes with support over the next few weeks, and minimized the pressure. It took a few months to heal completely, this was a few years ago now. All back to normal. My regular doctor does prescribe me leafy greens and regular workouts to stay healthy. She isn't particularly concerned, my numbers for cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure all come back great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
 
323 posts, read 398,328 times
Reputation: 566
This is one of "the Legends of Brackenridge Hospital" of which I am going to include in my book. EMS was called to a house. It was a hugely obese woman with severe abdominal pain. She was too big to get through the door, so the paramedics and firemen broke out the front picture window and got her out in the yard. Starflight landed in the street, but they said she was too heavy for them to fly to Brack. She went by ground. In the ER, it was discovered she had a decaying sandwich under her panus (lard fold) and a raging infection was going on.

I myself have had to install foley catheters in men so fat, their penis was way down in their blubbery lard and turned outside in. Their foreskin could not even be found in order to retract it. It was hit or miss. All the while I had to keep a professional straight face.

We have had to retract the abdominal folds of huge obese women in order to get a foley in their urethra. Some Africans taught we this. You tie a sheet to a bedrail, run it across and under the panus and around the other bedrail. One pulls on this sheet to lift and hold back the gut. Two others each hold back the leg lard. More staff hold open the fat puss. It might take two to do this. A nurse, using aseptic technique, tries to find the urethra, inserts the hose and all pray she strikes gold.

In case you wondered, I am a nurse. Once, I had to take an antidepressant which made me gain weight to from 130 to 206 lbs. But I fired my psychiatrist and put myself on a diet. Now I walk 5 miles, each and every day and grow my own vegetable garden. My BMI is now in the normal range.

Obese people are running up the cost of health care for everybody. It takes thousands upon thousands of dollars to die slowly of heart disease and diabetes. Fat people are difficult to take care of, (see above). This runs up the cost of medical care of everybody, including the 20% of Americans who manage to maintain a normal weight.

Are fat people discriminated against? I have to frequently turn my eyes away in order not to look upon rolls and rolls of fat, whole faimilys of fat people, including little children. It is disgusting. Signed, Nurse Bishop, R.N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
 
156 posts, read 156,525 times
Reputation: 280
That's a common complaint.

The main problem with any conversation on fat discrimination/acceptance/etc. is that "fat" covers such an enormous range of weights. Anyone from ~150 lbs. (for a short woman) to 600+ lbs. can be described as "fat."

And like the above, it seems someone will always jump in with the most extreme examples possible. People that huge are a rarity. In fact, in the US, less than 1.5% of the population weighs over 300 lbs. Let alone 600-800 like I assume those people were.

So yeah, everyone agrees that serious obesity is terrible. But using that as an example for everyone else "overweight" is like comparing recreational pot smokers to heroin addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top