U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM
 
706 posts, read 912,297 times
Reputation: 1466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
This is one of "the Legends of Brackenridge Hospital" of which I am going to include in my book. EMS was called to a house. It was a hugely obese woman with severe abdominal pain. She was too big to get through the door, so the paramedics and firemen broke out the front picture window and got her out in the yard. Starflight landed in the street, but they said she was too heavy for them to fly to Brack. She went by ground. In the ER, it was discovered she had a decaying sandwich under her panus (lard fold) and a raging infection was going on.

I myself have had to install foley catheters in men so fat, their penis was way down in their blubbery lard and turned outside in. Their foreskin could not even be found in order to retract it. It was hit or miss. All the while I had to keep a professional straight face.

We have had to retract the abdominal folds of huge obese women in order to get a foley in their urethra. Some Africans taught we this. You tie a sheet to a bedrail, run it across and under the panus and around the other bedrail. One pulls on this sheet to lift and hold back the gut. Two others each hold back the leg lard. More staff hold open the fat puss. It might take two to do this. A nurse, using aseptic technique, tries to find the urethra, inserts the hose and all pray she strikes gold.

In case you wondered, I am a nurse. Once, I had to take an antidepressant which made me gain weight to from 130 to 206 lbs. But I fired my psychiatrist and put myself on a diet. Now I walk 5 miles, each and every day and grow my own vegetable garden. My BMI is now in the normal range.

Obese people are running up the cost of health care for everybody. It takes thousands upon thousands of dollars to die slowly of heart disease and diabetes. Fat people are difficult to take care of, (see above). This runs up the cost of medical care of everybody, including the 20% of Americans who manage to maintain a normal weight.

Are fat people discriminated against? I have to frequently turn my eyes away in order not to look upon rolls and rolls of fat, whole faimilys of fat people, including little children. It is disgusting. Signed, Nurse Bishop, R.N.
Ewww...that's all pretty disgusting. It makes me want to go back to the gym for a second workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
 
323 posts, read 398,585 times
Reputation: 566
Look up a BMI calculator on the Internet. It is easy to see if you are normal weight, overweight or obese for your height. I have been a cardiac nurse for most of my life. For goodness sake, do what it takes to get that normal weight. You will live longer, be happier, have lower health costs and no one will have to divert their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
6,907 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Reputation: 5572
Why do sexy, hawt women not wanna get with us really nice but fat guys? I don't think it's fair. The government should do something about this type of discrimination. Seriously, is it my fault I linger to long at the chinese buffet? Isn't that really the chinese's fault for having buffets to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
 
706 posts, read 912,297 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why do sexy, hawt women not wanna get with us really nice but fat guys? I don't think it's fair. The government should do something about this type of discrimination. Seriously, is it my fault I linger to long at the chinese buffet? Isn't that really the chinese's fault for having buffets to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Wallingford, CT
1,063 posts, read 1,046,510 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Folks,

Do you believe overweight folks (who bellies bit show up) get discriminated by people not only by opposite but also same-sex gender, even by straight people?
I assume you are talking purely about people not finding overweight people attractive given the sexuality thing in the title.

It's not discrimination to find a fat person unattractive. It's also not actually discrimination to not find someone outside your own race attractive. You are genetically predisposed to find healthy people attractive (and people who look more like you). Fat people are not healthy by any stretch of the imagination, despite what they attempt to convince themselves of. The reason for this is because it behooves you to find a mate who will produce healthy children. It also could explain why people can have a fat person fetish, or why overweight people are more attractive to people of very poor countries.

It also depends I guess on what you consider fat. "Bellies bit show up" is what I assume to mean "stomach sticks out over their pants." That is fat to some degree, but not really terrible if they're well proportioned otherwise. It's all about symmetry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Northern Va
6 posts, read 3,825 times
Reputation: 11
Default Weight Discrimination

Of course there is fool. The basic reason is that its a sign of weakness. Its being a glutton.

I will put aside certain diseases, though. I think these people should be spared criticism, but life is filled with haters and they will go after you when they see an advantage. Its strange because we start as pure souls then....

Kids and teens become particularly ruthless.
Adults are worse.

I pay this no mind. Its only a stage and its supeficial. Its a look, a body. so what. Your mind and soul are so much more. The ones that trash the surface fall hard in the end because they never broke into the most beautiful part of humanity.

I disagree with the genetic part partially. ok, I will say both. There are some peoples who have certain shapes and certain diets. there are certain preferences too, but fundamentally I believe man loves women. this is more cultural than genetic. It also depends on whats popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,312,597 times
Reputation: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.

I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.

I've got a friend that will consume twice as many calories as me per day, yet weighs about 40 lbs less than me.
I read the whole thread regarding "is it someone's fault if they are over weight or not" issue. I'm quoting this particular post because there is no way to know if its your fault on an individual basis. So in regards to your post only you can know if your doing enough or if its genetic. Later in this post I can show you how to determine this.

However, in general most people that are overweight are that way because of improper diet/exercise regiment. Although it may seem you are working out correctly or eating right, more often then not there is much more you can do. I'm one of those guys that know pretty much everything there is about diet/exercise and when most people say the above quote to me, I always find something they are doing wrong that's keeping the weight on.

True story: My wife who at her ideal was 5'1" 105-110 LB started gaining weight and went up to 120 LB a few months back. When she complained about this and I mentioned improper diet and exercise, she said "But I always eat small portions, don't overeat, run/workout 1 hour a day AND I'm walking around all day it work.....it MUST BE because I'm getting older and my metabolism is slowing down."

I told her "BS if you do X and X (I outlined a strict diet and workout regiment) you will lose weight." Sure enough now she's back down to her regular weight and is healthier then ever.

So how do you know if you can lose weight or its genetic? I'm going to list a few questions below. If you answer no to any of these, you aren't doing enough and can lose weight if you decide to get serious. Now if you answer yes to all the questions below then its probably genetic.

1. Do you know your ideal height weight ratio?

2. Do you know the ideal amount of calories you need to take in for your age/sex/weight/height?

3. Do you know what macronutrient are and how much of each you need for your age/sex/weight/height?

4. Do you know the ACTUAL amount of calories and macronutrients you are currently eating everyday?

5. Do you know your body fat percentage? Do you know what your ideal body fat percentage should be?

6. Do you workout?

7. If so, do you implement strength training AND cardio? (applies to females too)

8. If you do workout, do you know EXACTLY how many calories you are burning?

9. Have you researched a good strength/cardio regiment designed for weight loss?

10. Have you ever implements a workout/diet regiment where you used the workout from #9 and ate the exact amount from #2/#3 for 6 months or more?

Here's the kicker: I have given this question challenge to many people over the years and NOT ONE person has been able to say yes to all of the above. And those who decided to implement the above saw noticeable results. So real thyroid issues are something that's rare and chances are your weight is completely under your control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
 
3,037 posts, read 2,339,377 times
Reputation: 3563
How many more times can this topic be dissected? This is like the tenth thread about weight and discrimination in this forum... Really is it not that obvious? Yes people that are overweight get discriminated against. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 AM
 
375 posts, read 301,401 times
Reputation: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
thanks for the laugh the same people who say that are the ones that pack their shopping carts with pre-packaged processed foods and cases of coke. then they say "yeah i have no idea why i am fat, must be a thyroid issue". LOLOL 80% of the time, it is laziness. maybe you're the 20%....who knows, but almost nobody was fat in the 70s. and genetics wouldnt change that much in only 40 years where 2/3 of the american population now possess the "fat gene" and can't help it.



maybe you're still eating the wrong foods. everybody has things they eat/drink that are not necessarily good for them that might pack on the pounds. i know ive had to make some sacrifices to maintain a healthy weight.

society is actually catering to fat people nowadays. as a person of normal weight, i actually feel i am being discriminated against. it is difficult to find pants in my size(30-32 waist) without shopping at the baby GAP or some hipster place.
I think education is very important to a healthy diet. I grew up in a house hold where we ate fast food and pre-packaged foods and hardly any fruits and veggies. I didn't understand how to eat correctly.

I've lost 40 lbs over the past year because I've changed what I do (fyi I've never been lazy) and how I eat. I've plateaued the past 3 months and haven't been able to lose any more. I'm still over weight, I currently weigh in a 225 which is about 50lbs more than I want to.

To the people that have never been over weight in their lives, they have no clue why people are really fat.

They automatically assume that fat people are lazy and only eat bad stuff. That's just simply not true. Everyone of our bodies are different.

And yes, we did have fat people in the 70s, we've had large people all throughout History.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 AM
 
706 posts, read 912,297 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I read the whole thread regarding "is it someone's fault if they are over weight or not" issue. I'm quoting this particular post because there is no way to know if its your fault on an individual basis. So in regards to your post only you can know if your doing enough or if its genetic. Later in this post I can show you how to determine this.

However, in general most people that are overweight are that way because of improper diet/exercise regiment. Although it may seem you are working out correctly or eating right, more often then not there is much more you can do. I'm one of those guys that know pretty much everything there is about diet/exercise and when most people say the above quote to me, I always find something they are doing wrong that's keeping the weight on.

True story: My wife who at her ideal was 5'1" 105-110 LB started gaining weight and went up to 120 LB a few months back. When she complained about this and I mentioned improper diet and exercise, she said "But I always eat small portions, don't overeat, run/workout 1 hour a day AND I'm walking around all day it work.....it MUST BE because I'm getting older and my metabolism is slowing down."

I told her "BS if you do X and X (I outlined a strict diet and workout regiment) you will lose weight." Sure enough now she's back down to her regular weight and is healthier then ever.

So how do you know if you can lose weight or its genetic? I'm going to list a few questions below. If you answer no to any of these, you aren't doing enough and can lose weight if you decide to get serious. Now if you answer yes to all the questions below then its probably genetic.

1. Do you know your ideal height weight ratio?

2. Do you know the ideal amount of calories you need to take in for your age/sex/weight/height?

3. Do you know what macronutrient are and how much of each you need for your age/sex/weight/height?

4. Do you know the ACTUAL amount of calories and macronutrients you are currently eating everyday?

5. Do you know your body fat percentage? Do you know what your ideal body fat percentage should be?

6. Do you workout?

7. If so, do you implement strength training AND cardio? (applies to females too)

8. If you do workout, do you know EXACTLY how many calories you are burning?

9. Have you researched a good strength/cardio regiment designed for weight loss?

10. Have you ever implements a workout/diet regiment where you used the workout from #9 and ate the exact amount from #2/#3 for 6 months or more?

Here's the kicker: I have given this question challenge to many people over the years and NOT ONE person has been able to say yes to all of the above. And those who decided to implement the above saw noticeable results. So real thyroid issues are something that's rare and chances are your weight is completely under your control.
Agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top