Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

I helped a friend move her household and her dozen or so horses and 2 dogs. I drove the big truck, she hired a hauler and she drove her p/u. I'd known her on a horse forum but never met her in person. She was grossly obese - about as big as you can be and still get around. (btw, Melissa McCartney is beginning to fall into that category - she's gained so much weight) Anyway, she was new to the town and we were getting acquainted with the area. We came out of one store and she said "I get so tired of people looking at me like I'm some kind of bug." I felt bad for her and told her they just don't know her, that once they get to know her they'll love her, it just takes time for people to get adjusted to seeing someone of her size. OH.MY.GOODNESS. She said 'YOU THINK IT'S BECAUSE I'M FAT??" duh. But she didn't see it that way. She has since passed away. A wonderful young woman who had a heart of gold. And she died on the way to the emergency room, she'd been seen for her illness but sent home. Discrimination might have killed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
And she died on the way to the emergency room, she'd been seen for her illness but sent home. Discrimination might have killed her.
I have had one bad experience with doctors so far. I am chubby (oh well, you can look at my profile pic if you are curious, I have been around the same size give or take 10 pounds for like 20 years now).

So one evening, I was headed home and getting off the bus. The bus driver did a crappy job of pulling up to the curb and there was a big drop down to the road. I got off the rear door. And then another lady jumped off the bus and landed on my toe. With her sturdy boot heel. I thought "owwwwwwww!!!!!"

I limped home the one block, and thought it was like stubbing your toe. Took some advil and had a really uncomfortable sleep due to the pain. The next morning I woke up, and my foot was still throbbing. My normal doctor (indie practice) was closed, so I went to an affiliate clinic in the town next door. At this point, my toe was killing, and I had some work deadlines that same day. So clearly the timing was perfect, and there is no way I would feel stressed or anything about the situation.

I go to the doctor, and the initial consultation starts with the normal tests. Well it turns out my blood pressure was above normal and my ankle was a little puffy. And my big toe had a small fracture. Unfortunately the doctor was terrible. And ordered immediate blood tests for all sorts of stuff, because you know, I have "untreated high blood pressure."

Now this doctor didn't ask many any questions like when was the last time I had visited the doctor (which was a a few weeks prior), my typical blood pressure readings or really anything else. He just jumped to the conclusion that I must have a load of health problems due to that high reading.

I was due for some blood tests, and took those requested ones plus the other ones I needed, and went back to my doctor a few days later. No surprise, all my blood tests turned out fine, my blood pressure was normal (which for me is "normal"). And yes my toe was still hurting and I couldn't put full pressure on it for a couple months. But surprise surprise, I didn't have high blood pressure then (and do not now).

I meant to leave a review about that doctor and his poor "bedside manner" but I couldn't remember his name.

There is so much evidence out there that doctors ignore the concerns of overweight patients, because they think all of the issues are actually weight related. And refuse to look for any other cause. And it can easily lead to horrible health outcomes.

Scientific study: PLOS ONE: Implicit and Explicit Anti-Fat Bias among a Large Sample of Medical Doctors by BMI, Race/Ethnicity and Gender
Doctors are bad at rapport building withAn larger patients: Doctors Feel Less Connected to Obese Patients, Study Suggests - US News
Another study: Size profiling discriminates against overweight patients | UCLA

So if you can't even get your doctor to listen to you when you are overweight....well.....

Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
"who bellies bit show up"

What does that remark mean?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I am going to agree with all of the above posters. There will always be discrimination and prejudice in society. You will have to wait for an extensive famine for your fatty features to become attractive, again. It could happen.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Folks,

Do you believe overweight folks (who bellies bit show up) get discriminated by people not only by opposite but also same-sex gender, even by straight people?
No.

They are just not very sexually attractive that is all. There is no discrimination involved. They still get sex. Find husbands/wives. Lead productive lives, etc. but they are just not as sexually/physically attractive as those who are not overweight.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
"who bellies bit show up"

What does that remark mean?
Good question. OP isn't answering... I had to go back and find that phrase but didn't have to look far. Must be a typo?

Regarding weight and doctors, I know I'm talking about a horse but he had structural issues which affected his digestive system and he was a BIG horse.... 70 inches tall at the shoulder blade peak. He looked bad, my other 3 were fat as ticks. He ate as much or more since he was the herd leader and took their food sometimes. Anywho I took him in because his feet were basically falling apart. She took one look at him and started testing him for parasites, totally ignoring his foot issue. Gee, Doc. No parasites? Ya think? Now can you please fix his feet???

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Folks,

Do you believe overweight folks (who bellies bit show up) get discriminated by people not only by opposite but also same-sex gender, even by straight people?
I'm overweight but not by a whole lot. I don't get discriminated against as far as I know. Then again, I don't walk around with a big chip on my shoulder about my weight.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,206,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.
thanks for the laugh the same people who say that are the ones that pack their shopping carts with pre-packaged processed foods and cases of coke. then they say "yeah i have no idea why i am fat, must be a thyroid issue". LOLOL 80% of the time, it is laziness. maybe you're the 20%....who knows, but almost nobody was fat in the 70s. and genetics wouldnt change that much in only 40 years where 2/3 of the american population now possess the "fat gene" and can't help it.

Quote:
I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.
maybe you're still eating the wrong foods. everybody has things they eat/drink that are not necessarily good for them that might pack on the pounds. i know ive had to make some sacrifices to maintain a healthy weight.

society is actually catering to fat people nowadays. as a person of normal weight, i actually feel i am being discriminated against. it is difficult to find pants in my size(30-32 waist) without shopping at the baby GAP or some hipster place.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Where does this weird idea that everyone who is overweight eats entire pizzas, cases of soda and quarts of ice cream all day come from. I have no clue why it is so hard to understand that our environment (including the built environment) have had a huge impact on our health.

50-60 years ago, people had main streets they cold walk to for errands, they walked or rode their bikes to school. After the car era we engineered walking (and activity) out of our cities and lives, eliminating sidewalks, crosswalks, and setting up things at a distance that is so far the only way to get there is to hop in your car.

We went from having an economy built on chive blue collar jobs to sedentary desk and service jobs. We started processing all of our food into food-like substances, and made those food like substances cheaper than real food.

And then we somehow wonder why the average American's weight is increasing....

Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
thanks for the laugh the same people who say that are the ones that pack their shopping carts with pre-packaged processed foods and cases of coke. then they say "yeah i have no idea why i am fat, must be a thyroid issue". LOLOL 80% of the time, it is laziness. maybe you're the 20%....who knows, but almost nobody was fat in the 70s. and genetics wouldnt change that much in only 40 years where 2/3 of the american population now possess the "fat gene" and can't help it.

maybe you're still eating the wrong foods. everybody has things they eat/drink that are not necessarily good for them that might pack on the pounds. i know ive had to make some sacrifices to maintain a healthy weight.

society is actually catering to fat people nowadays. as a person of normal weight, i actually feel i am being discriminated against. it is difficult to find pants in my size(30-32 waist) without shopping at the baby GAP or some hipster place.
A big part of it is how food affects people. I've never been overweight and I've worked out/done cardio for over 20 years now. But food doesn't calm me like a drug. If I have a bad day, food is the last place I would turn for comfort. My main concern with my food is that it's healthy. Now I'm by no means perfect in my food choices, and I do crave sweets now and then, but my friends who are very overweight have described how food comforts them and is like a drug, or addiction. They didn't choose to have food affect them like that. And considering how much cheap, crappy food is so easily accessible these days, it's no wonder so many people struggle with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty