Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Fat bias and discrimination is the only socially acceptable "ism" these days. It is totally ok to stereotype and prejudge based in appearance, as long as that appearance is overweight.

Personally I know there is size discrimination, but it is not something I have experienced much. I typically get really good service in stores and stuff. I have had a few shopping while black experiences, but most of the time it is the polar opposite. People are extra nice, they tell me about coupons, and I get free stuff (from men and women).

Workers remember that I have come to their place or recognize me at other places (even if I am not a regular). I can't tell you how many times I've run into a barista or retail,worker somewhere else and they stop and chat. All sorts of things. (My sister as well, we look pretty similar and are fairly friendly and bubbly). It is bizarre. My friends pick in me about it, and when it happens to them they call it "having a jade day."

I think there is something to be said for being confident and comfy in your own skin, but clearly according to this thread that's not allowed if you are overweight.
Jade, like you, I don't experience the discrimination, at least not knowingly, I only speak out when I see it so blatantly being put upon others of voiced in such places like this, mostly I bite my tongue because mostly, I realize the mentality of the posters making wild claims aren't those I care to engage, but sometimes I just see something that is so out there, that I can't hold back. Most of the threads like this are started by one hit wonders, but people love them because it gives them an opportunity to bring out their bully instincts, nothing more, nothing less. Why you will rarely see me make more than one or two postings in such threads.

And again, we can say we don't understand, say don't bully and then go on and blame, but if we wanted real answers, we'd do the research to find the answers before we make accusations as to the reasons. I would say some people do have medical issues, diseases, medications that cause weight gain, some just eat too much period, and many know this, there is that select few that are actually clueless as to why they can't lose, but for the most part many of us are aware when we are doing something to bring the weight gain upon ourselves and know where the blame lies. But because someone doesn't have the professional knowledge to understand cause and effect they feel they just know by looking at individuals even those they are close to that it all is just that people eat too much. It's a simple answer.

Well ok, we're too lazy and hoggish to lose the weight and I'm going to accuse others of being to lazy too be knowledgeable enough to make such accusations. We're all just a bunch lazy Americans, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM

863 posts, read 1,128,778 times
Quote:
Fat bias and discrimination is the only socially acceptable "ism" these days. It is totally ok to stereotype and prejudge based in appearance, as long as that appearance is overweight.
You're joking right? You don't think heightism is socially acceptable?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
You're joking right? You don't think heightism is socially acceptable?
Really? Heightism? Where do "short people" get seriously discriminated. Denied job opportunities? I don't see it. There are rarely derogatory portrayals of short people in the mass media. There is no phenomena of news stories on "shorties" that cute of their heads/faces and only show their bodies to demonstrate the "issues."

Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Really? Heightism? Where do "short people" get seriously discriminated. Denied job opportunities? I don't see it. There are rarely derogatory portrayals of short people in the mass media. There is no phenomena of news stories on "shorties" that cute of their heads/faces and only show their bodies to demonstrate the "issues."
Where do I start?

OK, first off, here's a full definition of heightism: Height discrimination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Yes, such a thing exists.

Despite what you may think, yes, heightism does occur in the job market. The most obvious examples are in mass media. If you notice, most modeling gigs have height requirements. The images I usually see on TV/magazines are that of tall, statuesque men and long, slender women. You can say that short actors are prominent in the TV/movie industry, but do you ever notice how they use certain camera tricks to make them appear taller? It's funny how, after meeting an actor, people describe them as much shorter in person like it's a bad thing. Furthermore, there are studies that say taller men make more money than their shorter counterparts. For reference, just search "taller men more money" and you'll find an array of links showing studies relating to what I'm talking about. (I've already linked some in a thread some time ago in which you chose to ignore it there also).

Napolean Complex- This term is given to any short man who expresses anger at something and/or may get into an altercation for whatever reason. It never fails: if he's pissed, blame it on his height. On the contrary, you'll never hear anything about a "Shaquille Complex" when a taller man does the same.

Also, have you not seen the umpteen amount of threads on this very site where a great deal of men complained about, in their own experiences, being too short for women? It got so bad that the mods had to forbid height threads on the Relationships forum. In my own experience, plenty of women have flat-out told me that they don't find short men attractive. I'm fine with that, but it's pretty messed up when you're called a hobbit, little man, short-stack, etc. Yes, I've been called this and it's socially acceptable. We're told to "man up" if it bothers us. If anything, if a man tells a woman that she could stand to lose a few pounds, he'd be crucified.

What's ironic about your post is that you're trying to preach awareness about one discrimination while completely ignoring another which also happens to be socially acceptable. Just because you don't see it (since you're not a short man and the complaints are generally ignored, unlike with overweight people) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You even said it yourself, "I don't see it...There is no phenomena of news stories on "shorties" that cute of their heads/faces and only show their bodies to demonstrate the "issues." That's because people don't care about the plight of "shorties." At least I acknowledge that overweight people have it tough in our society. I don't side at all with the people here who look down on them. Why can't you accept that overweight people are not the only group where it's acceptable to discriminate?

Oh, and their once was a group called the National Organization of Short Statured Adults (NOSSA) who dealt with these very same issues. Sadly, it fell apart over a year ago (no clue why it did).

So please, go ahead and tell us more about how overweight people are the ONLY ones where it's acceptable to discriminate against.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:

Oh, and their once was a group called the National Organization of Short Statured Adults (NOSSA) who dealt with these very same issues. Sadly, it fell apart over a year ago (no clue why it did).
They couldn't "reach" their goals, perhaps?

Forgive me. I kid. I kid. I am actually with you, I believe height discrimination happens and is very real. However I am also very much in agreement with Jade that fat discrimination is still very socially acceptable and even stylish. Whereas height discrimination is a real thing, it is not the "sport" fat discrimination has become.

See how many "no short guys" bumper stickers you see on cars. Or T-shirts you see women wearing. You won't. But there is a whole product line for "no fat chicks" merchandise. There is no term for guys who like short girls or girls who like short guys. Yet we have a term for guys who like big girls: chubby chasers. Why do we need this term? Having its own term conveys the notion something is out of the ordinary.

So I definitely see your point, but maintain weight discrimination carries with it a much more insidious depth and that overweight people are often relegated to a lower niche on the social pecking order.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Forgive me. I kid. I kid. I am actually with you, I believe height discrimination happens and is very real. However I am also very much in agreement with Jade that fat discrimination is still very socially acceptable and even stylish. Whereas height discrimination is a real thing, it is not the "sport" fat discrimination has become.

See how many "no short guys" bumper stickers you see on cars. Or T-shirts you see women wearing. You won't. But there is a whole product line for "no fat chicks" merchandise. There is no term for guys who like short girls or girls who like short guys. Yet we have a term for guys who like big girls: chubby chasers. Why do we need this term? Having its own term conveys the notion something is out of the ordinary.

So I definitely see your point, but maintain weight discrimination carries with it a much more insidious depth and that overweight people are often relegated to a lower niche on the social pecking order.
No offense taken .

Believe me, I'm with you on that. I was just disputing her claim that being overweight is the "only socially acceptable ism these days" regardless of how much worse it may be. It isn't. Heightism is generally an unspoken form of discrimination that people are usually ok with. At least with discrimination toward the overweight, they have plenty of voices (including me) who will defend them. There's not much defense toward the discrimination of us "shorties." It's either made fun of (like calling someone one of the names in my previous post) or, like Jade, it's totally ignored altogether as if it doesn't exist. Sadly, there's even a "I hate short guys" Facebook page of many women who messages their hatred of short guys.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I just thought Jade should know that.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Good points. I haven't ever seen a pack of teens (and adults) point and laugh at a short person. But the same people are happy to point and moo at overweight people. Or make beeping noises when they walk by. It how about that essay a couple months ago where a "skinny" girls verbal diarrhea about seeing a "fat person" in her yoga class made her uncomfortable and felt sorry for the woman?

Picking in short people doesn't really seem to be a national pastime. There have been many specials on the 700 pound man/woman. And there is the biggest loser and a million other shows about "fat" people losing weight. But rare stories about "short people" and those focus on dwarfs (no clue what the current PC terms are)

Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Good points. I haven't ever seen a pack of teens (and adults) point and laugh at a short person. But the same people are happy to point and moo at overweight people. Or make beeping noises when they walk by. It how about that essay a couple months ago where a "skinny" girls verbal diarrhea about seeing a "fat person" in her yoga class made her uncomfortable and felt sorry for the woman?
So because you've never seen it, it never happened? I've told you I had, among a lot of others, experienced it first hand. Who do you think usually gets bullied in schools? Why is there a term called 'manlet?' Why are short guys the only ones with "Napolean Complexes?" Why did my ex-girlfriend's sisters tell her to dump me because I was 2 inches shorter than her? It DOES happen.

TBH, I don't even know why I'm arguing with you on this. It's apparent that you only want to see what you want to see. Ironically, you're doing the same thing you criticize others for doing. I'd love to see how you felt if weight discrimination was ignored. You'd probably wouldn't like that very much.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Picking in short people doesn't really seem to be a national pastime. There have been many specials on the 700 pound man/woman. And there is the biggest loser and a million other shows about "fat" people losing weight. But rare stories about "short people" and those focus on dwarfs (no clue what the current PC terms are)
Bingo. Thanks for proving my point on post #197.

Again, I said weight discrimination isn't the only socially acceptable ism. Just because overweight people get made fun of more doesn't make it the only one that's acceptable. I've written plenty of examples that short people face and, unsurprisingly, you totally ignore them.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Bingo. Thanks for proving my point on post #197.

Again, I said weight discrimination isn't the only socially acceptable ism. Just because overweight people get made fun of more doesn't make it the only one that's acceptable. I've written plenty of examples that short people face and, unsurprisingly, you totally ignore them.
There is a big difference between having below average height and being a dwarf/little person/midget. Not particularly in the same league.

I don't think modeling is a good example of a career that "height discriminates." And yes I have seen the stats that most senior executives are taller than average. They are also a lot whiter than average so clearly this is any area that has a lot of discrimination.

But I don't see an epidemic of short bashing. Let's put it this way. There is no ban on "weight threads" on C-D. There are at least 3 floating around right now in great debates, exercise and her in fashion all about bashing overweight people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty