U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM

459 posts, read 511,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hip width isn't the same as waist hip ratio. It is a bone structure thing, like your shoulders.

Here are some wide hipped people for you, as examples:
Kim Kardashian
Jennifer Love Hewitt

Not wide hipped (but has waist definition)
Janet Jackson

Top of mind, I am not thinking of anyone else. You don't need to have wide hips to be an hourglass, but it helps!

But I hope that makes sense, it is a bone structure thing.

Yeah but they're also a lot bigger than me... Kim kardashian I thought had surgery on her butt right? So her measurement is skewed... Her waist to hip ratio is .666.... Mine is .69. We'd probably have close whrs if she had a smaller butt. Like I said I am wide for my waistline. I'm just saying proportionally my hips are wide compared to my waistline that's the reason my hips go out dramatically compared to my waist alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Yeah but they're also a lot bigger than me... Kim kardashian I thought had surgery on her butt right? So her measurement is skewed... Her waist to hip ratio is .666.... Mine is .69. We'd probably have close whrs if she had a smaller butt. Like I said I am wide for my waistline. I'm just saying proportionally my hips are wide compared to my waistline that's the reason my hips go out dramatically compared to my waist alone.
Butt size and hip width aren't the same. I can't think of any flat butt wide hipped people at the moment, but they exist in real life. It is really the size of your pelvis that determines your hip width. Has nothing to do with weight or waist/hip ratio. Obviously I haven't seen you, but it seems as if your hips aren't as wide as your shoulders. Of course other people are the opposite. And some have a look that is really close.

You also mentioned you have a high hip, you likely have a short torso too. High hips are usually incompatible with wide ones. At least I haven't seen anyone with both.

Here is a thin person with wide hips:
http://cdn.sneakhype.com/wp-content/...ursdays-23.jpg

And here is one without:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...2e84c10009.jpg

Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Hourglass is a matter of ratios. Women will, if they are not overweight, still have a smaller waist than bust or hips. However, an hourglass figure means bust & hips are nearly equal by measure, with approximately equal projection of boobs & butt on a side profile, and the waist is at least 30% smaller -- hence the classic "36-24-36" definition.

Since what you posted sounds like you're a healthy weight, you won't be able to get a true hourglass because you're just not built that way. You can cover, pad and cinch different parts to give more of an hourglass impression (this is how drag queens get their curves), but it's generally easier and more satisfying to show off your good features. Most women with an inverted triangle shape have great legs. They can also wear crazy patterns and bold or bright colors on their lower body and make that work. Jessica Biel has an inverted triangle body shape (possibly had a breast enhancement) -- so there's a good body model for you to check for styles.

I can't cinch in my waistline. I aready have a 23" waist line.

I'm a lot smaller than Jessica biel I may have shoulders as big or bigger than hers though. Her waist is bigger so it goes with her shoulders better.

My hips don't look like hers

they look more like this.

Last edited by justawkward11; 07-02-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM

72,817 posts, read 64,258,962 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering. I have problem. I don't fit any of the four main body shapes that clearly. I am really top heavy. 36-23-33 with 38" shoulders I'm a 32D but wear size 0s I think.

I'm not an apple because my waist is the smallest area. But I'm not an hourglass glass as my bust and shoulders are bigger than my hips. I don't really want to minimize my bust and shoulders. I like the look it gives me my shoulders are slim well defined and wide it gives me an athletic look but my hips are just a lot smaller looking. How can I make it look wider? I have a shapely butt so it's not a problem of a flat butt just the front on line up. My waistline is well defined due to both my shoulders and hips drastic measurement in comparison it's just a matter of my hips being 3 or 5 inches smaller than my bust or shoulder respectively. How can I look proportioned well in jeans or skinny jeans?
You can't look well-proportioned. But the top-heavy look is popular with the male contingent of the species, and you say you don't want to minimize your bust, so, just go with the top-heavy look. Life could be worse.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
Quote:
I can't cinch in my waistline. I aready have a 23" waist line.
Cinch meaning, "highlight" or show off. Like peplum would be great for you, wear a belt, stuff like that. Strategic color blocking (darker on the top, lighter on the bottom). Also, go whole hog on patterned bottoms.

Quote:
Butt size and hip width aren't the same. I can't think of any flat butt wide hipped people at the moment, but they exist in real life. It is really the size of your pelvis that determines your hip width. Has nothing to do with weight or waist/hip ratio. Obviously I haven't seen you, but it seems as if your hips aren't as wide as your shoulders. Of course other people are the opposite. And some have a look that is really close.

You also mentioned you have a high hip, you likely have a short torso too. High hips are usually incompatible with wide ones. At least I haven't seen anyone with both.

Here is a thin person with wide hips:
http://cdn.sneakhype.com/wp-content/...ursdays-23.jpg

And here is one without:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...2e84c10009.jpg
my hips look a lot like this I'll post three examples and then three examples of my top well I'll try to find someone that fits the description.

oops wrong photo lol

Last edited by justawkward11; 07-02-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Quote:
This isn't what you look like. This is an hourglass. Look how much wider her hips are than her waist. If you looked like this photo, you wouldn't think you had a problem.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Cinch meaning, "highlight" or show off. Like peplum would be great for you, wear a belt, stuff like that. Strategic color blocking (darker on the top, lighter on the bottom). Also, go whole hog on patterned bottoms.
Great idea! That would add the illusion of bulk around the hips.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't what you look like. This is an hourglass. Look how much wider her hips are than her waist. If you looked like this photo, you wouldn't think you had a problem.
yeah it is how my hips look did you not hear my waist is 23" my hips are 33"

Candice is 23" her hips are 34"

we're about the same. Look at the measurements I provided please

http://healthyceleb.com/candice-swan...statistics/841

Last edited by justawkward11; 07-02-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM

Moderator cut: image removed

like I said Candice is a good example of how my bottom half looks. She is 23/34. I'm 23/33. Top half is just so much more drastic.

I have broader shoulders and a D to combat the hips below I just don't feel my lower half is exactly as big as my boobs and shoulders are.

Last edited by Marka; 07-03-2014 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty