U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,957,888 times
Reputation: 2351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Working in NYC, I see a lot of gay people on the street and at the workplace.

What I've noticed over the years is that in general, gay men are better dressed than lesbian women. Some lesbians looks simply awkward. When a Lesbian woman tries to dress very masculine they have the wrong combination usually. Quite a few Lesbian women have the Eddie Munster haircut, big frame glasses, straight legged and baggy pants. Some always wear blazers with shoulder pads to appear wider frame like a man.

A lot of feminine gay men are some of the best dressed men I've ever seen. They not only look sharp but glamorous at the same time.
What you have to keep in mind, that in many ways lesbians and gay men are antithesis of each other. Meaning they are truly opposite. Gay men, either, the masculine type, or the more sensitive, gentle type dress better than most straight men do to begin with. Also, many gay men learn, often the hard way they have to dress masculine to attract. Our society has always had very strict guidelines that men must dress masculine, otherwise face the consequence. A large percentage of gay men work out, and like to show off their bodies with fitted t-shirts and tank tops. Most gay men do take pride in their appearance, sometimes too much pride. Not all realize, the straight boy look, i.e. needing a shave, messy hair, tatted clothes, a bit rough around the edges can be attractive too in its own way.

Lesbians often could care less about attempting to attract other women, and seem oblivious to the fact that many lesbians prefer the more feminine type of woman. They don't realize what works for a man, doesn't usually work for a woman, like wearing Timberland boots for example. Those lesbians who adopt masculine characteristics or attire often adopt some of the worst stereotypical attributes that men have, such as those young guys who wear their pants below their a$$, or spitting. It looks horrible. It seems the more defiant or rebellious a lesbian is the more liberated she seems to feel, it's pretty sad. It's also sad, many lesbians don't seem to take any pride in a beautiful feminine appearance. I know it's not all lesbians, its only some of them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
What you have to keep in mind, that in many ways lesbians and gay men are antithesis of each other. Meaning they are truly opposite. Gay men, either, the masculine type, or the more sensitive, gentle type dress better than most straight men do to begin with. Also, many gay men learn, often the hard way they have to dress masculine to attract. Our society has always had very strict guidelines that men must dress masculine, otherwise face the consequence. A large percentage of gay men work out, and like to show off their bodies with fitted t-shirts and tank tops. Most gay men do take pride in their appearance, sometimes too much pride. Not all realize, the straight boy look, i.e. needing a shave, messy hair, tatted clothes, a bit rough around the edges can be attractive too in its own way.

Lesbians often could care less about attempting to attract other women, and seem oblivious to the fact that many lesbians prefer the more feminine type of woman. They don't realize what works for a man, doesn't usually work for a woman, like wearing Timberland boots for example. Those lesbians who adopt masculine characteristics or attire often adopt some of the worst stereotypical attributes that men have, such as those young guys who wear their pants below their a$$, or spitting. It looks horrible. It seems the more defiant or rebellious a lesbian is the more liberated she seems to feel, it's pretty sad. It's also sad, many lesbians don't seem to take any pride in a beautiful feminine appearance. I know it's not all lesbians, its only some of them.
As a gay man, I agree.

I work out and keep my body nice, but at the same time, I know it looks ridiculous for a man over 25 to be wearing a tight Abercrombie shirt lol! Even sadder are the gay men in their 40s and 50s who dress like 20 year olds. Like you say, it looks better to not be 100% "put together" with the perfect matching clothes and plucked eyebrows It takes a little talent to dress like a well-dressed straight dude, I suppose. But I do know plenty of gay men (probably most I know) who dress like they have zero fashion sense. And I know plenty of lesbians who dress nice and don't look like dudes. The stereotypes on both sides are just the minority who stand out for obvious reasons.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 03:45 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,957,888 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
As a gay man, I agree.

I work out and keep my body nice, but at the same time, I know it looks ridiculous for a man over 25 to be wearing a tight Abercrombie shirt lol! Even sadder are the gay men in their 40s and 50s who dress like 20 year olds. Like you say, it looks better to not be 100% "put together" with the perfect matching clothes and plucked eyebrows It takes a little talent to dress like a well-dressed straight dude, I suppose. But I do know plenty of gay men (probably most I know) who dress like they have zero fashion sense. And I know plenty of lesbians who dress nice and don't look like dudes. The stereotypes on both sides are just the minority who stand out for obvious reasons.
Just curious, since I'm in that category. What should gay guys in their 40's and 50's wear? Let's say casually? What should they stay away from?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Reputation: 27254
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I didn't realize they started requiring all gay people to get branded on their forehead! Yay! At least now we'll be able to tell who's gay and who isn't!!



Not all lesbians are butch. Not all gay men are feminine. Some are well dressed, others are not. Same can be said for straight people. This thread is so wrong and ridiculous on so many levels.
I must agree. No one knows my girlfriend and I are lesbians unless they see us kissing each other. I guess that means we have good fashion sense according to the OP
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times
Reputation: 15398
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I didn't realize they started requiring all gay people to get branded on their forehead! Yay! At least now we'll be able to tell who's gay and who isn't!!



Not all lesbians are butch. Not all gay men are feminine. Some are well dressed, others are not. Same can be said for straight people. This thread is so wrong and ridiculous on so many levels.
This thread is a major fail.

Some gay men dress well and some are slobs.

Some lesbians dress well and some are slobs.

Some straight men dress well and some are slobs.

Some straight women dress well and some are slobs.

We must not fall prey to stereotypes and assumptions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,043 posts, read 2,882,659 times
Reputation: 7254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Just curious, since I'm in that category. What should gay guys in their 40's and 50's wear? Let's say casually? What should they stay away from?
Just my opinion and likely to hear opposition but when I see a guy in their 40's or 50s, no matter how "buff" they are, wearing tight muscle tees, or "trim cut" dress shirts that show every muscle I just shake my head. It's one thing to take care of your body and stay in shape but, in your 40s and over, you are no longer young and trying to dress to accentuate your body comes off as sad. Same goes for dressing for every new fashion that comes in to play. By your 40s you should have discovered what styles work for you and stick with them. Not to say you are over the hill and cannot experiment a bit but really, tight fitting and trendy clothing is for the young. Generally speaking, with age comes maturity and your look should reflect that. Okay, ready for the attack
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,228 posts, read 23,743,496 times
Reputation: 19847
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Just my opinion and likely to hear opposition but when I see a guy in their 40's or 50s, no matter how "buff" they are, wearing tight muscle tees, or "trim cut" dress shirts that show every muscle I just shake my head. It's one thing to take care of your body and stay in shape but, in your 40s and over, you are no longer young and trying to dress to accentuate your body comes off as sad. Same goes for dressing for every new fashion that comes in to play. By your 40s you should have discovered what styles work for you and stick with them. Not to say you are over the hill and cannot experiment a bit but really, tight fitting and trendy clothing is for the young. Generally speaking, with age comes maturity and your look should reflect that. Okay, ready for the attack

I agree. Also as a GWM, middle age, in good shape, I just wear regular men's clothes. I just want to look like a regular man, just normal, not hip and trendy, I'm too old for that. Just regular clothes

Cargo pants, Levis, T-shirt. Shorts in the summer, nothing special. If you saw me walking down the street, Id just blend in with the rest of the men..........but, and I admit it, sometimes a bit fashionaly challenged....(according to my sons)....., and I don't care either. I'm not 30 anymore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Just curious, since I'm in that category. What should gay guys in their 40's and 50's wear? Let's say casually? What should they stay away from?
I'm in my 40s and work out/weigh what I should. I think if you're over 40 and are in good physical condition, then you can pull off dressing younger. For summer, I generally wear shorts and t-shirts. I get slim-fit shorts that go to about an inch above my knees and for t-shirts, I like color and v-necks, but stay away from anything very graphic. I recently got 3 different short sleeved shirts from Banana Republic that have a couple buttons at the top. Something like this: Vintage Tipped Polo | Banana Republic

Paired with something like this:
1901 Seersucker Shorts | Nordstrom

Since I'm in shape, I find shirts (as the one above) that are more athletic fit and not baggy, but make sure they're not tight either. With this shirt and shorts, I'd wear a nice pair of leather flip flops: Rainbow '301Alts' Sandal (Men) | Nordstrom

Or you could pair the shirt above with a nice pair of raw denim: https://www.weargustin.com/store/768 and a pair of Converse shoes or another casual shoe like this: Hey Dude Wally Shoe - Men's Shoes | Buckle

So overall, not too overboard with color, not too tight and not baggy, casual but not boring/stuffy. Don't be afraid of color, but don't overdo it either. Combine a couple "younger" things like shirt/shoes with more conservative shorts/jeans. And I never wear the crazy trendy jeans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Encino, CA
3,415 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Reputation: 5789
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Working in NYC, I see a lot of gay people on the street and at the workplace.

Are gay men better dressed usually than gay women? .
Couple of things:

1. Don't play into the stereotypes of what a gay man is supposed to look like and what a gay woman is supposed to look like. Gay does not always mean flamboyant and coiffed for men, and it doesn't always mean butch dikey for women (see Portia DeRossi).

2. You cant really look at someone walking the streets of New York and determine their sexual preference unless they are promoting it with their behavior or actions. Even so, only a small number of gay people do this.


Also, what a person does for a living often determines what they wear. Investment Advisors will be dressed one way, maintenance workers will be dressed another. Do you think the gay male maintenance worker is dressed differently than the straight worker? Do you think the gay female Series 7 licensed Wall Street Money Manager is dressed differently than the straight one?

Now, think again about what you are asking. Silly isn't it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Delray Beach
1,136 posts, read 1,368,657 times
Reputation: 2501
1. These stereotypes are based on reality - at least my reality, which does NOT derive from random guesswork on the sidewalks of New York.
2. I base my opinions on my direct, extensive and very long-time experience in this sphere, and I have come to the conclusion that gay women do not, AS A WHOLE, dress as well as gay men... or straight women.
3. Portia de Rossi is so NOT typical of lesbians..anywhere.

Perhaps one of the reasons is because so many gay women are badly overweight and it's no picnic to dress up when you need size 18.. or more. Maybe it's discouraging to fight a battle that one feels is already lost?
I can't tell you how many women I know seem to let themselves go, caring little about their looks after they get into a relationship!

Thank god that has not been my personal situation, but honestly, it is epidemic in my neck of the woods (FL).

Last edited by tjarado; 07-08-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top