U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 AM

3,413 posts, read 2,893,826 times

Advertisements

Another instant facial turnoff is when a woman has drawn in eyebrows. Kinda like the whole sharpie eyebrow thing that a certain segment of young women were doing a few years ago. That is another instant turnoff for me.

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellThomas View Post
I'm surprised that so many other people here also find thin lips unattractive... I've read that in Asia thin lips are preferred, supposedly.
I used to dislike thin lips until the unnatural, sometimes gross-looking pumped-up lips by celebrities in the New Millennium started assaulting my eyes. Nicole Kidman's pumped lips actually don't look bad but I miss the thinner chiseled shape of her 'real' lips.

Thick pillowy lips look best on those who were born with them.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 AM

896 posts, read 863,710 times
i do not like small or slanted eyes (asian) or flat noses on women. i prefer high bridge nose that is slim, with large eyes on women. there are a few asians who fit this and therefore are featured in japanese playboy mags so it's not really based on race but what genes you were born with. anyway, you can always slim out the nose and raise the bridge like they do in south korea.

anyhow, those are it. i have been manipulated and force-fed western beauty standards and am happy to oblige as part of the sheeple.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 AM

24 posts, read 19,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Turns me off on a face -

sweat
^ This reminds me of the unfortunate, nervous bachelors on The Bachelorette who sweat up a storm on their faces while expressing their devotion to the woman of their dreams!

I always feel a mixture of pity, embarrassment, and tenderness for these sweaty-faced men because they are so very, very nervous. Their facial sweat definitely isn't a turn-on. I think it is the sense of a man's extreme nervousness being so visible that embarrasses me more than the sweat itself being a turn-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
My turn. I should have left out bad skin and bad teeth, because they're hardly static or automatic.

I'm turned off by weird eye shapes, very big ears, huge foreheads, very big noses, big chins and receded chins, tiny noses and related chimp-like features, such as thin lips and long philtrum (distance between mouth and chin). Also, melting jawline disgusts me, and I've seen it too often in women who are too young for it.
I wish I didn't feel turned off by certain facial features, because I feel shallow for having such a reaction to something out of a person's control, but I strongly dislike three particular facial characteristics nevertheless:

(1) I dislike a long distance between nose and mouth.

I looked up "philtrum," wondering what that was, and discovered that "philtrum" refers to the distance between nose and mouth. Did you mean to say you dislike a large distance between nose and mouth rather than mouth and chin?

I prefer a short distance between a person's upper lip and nose because I feel it looks cute. I'm probably having this reaction because a short philtrum looks more childish and thus cuter to me. A long philtrum looks very old and gorilla-like to me. When I see someone with a long philtrum, I tend to find myself inwardly pitying him or her, while wishing I weren't doing so.

(2) When someone talks and all I can see is that person's lower teeth, I really dislike that!!

I like to see primarily a person's upper teeth when she or he talks. I've observed that more men than women are "bottom toothers" and usually they are older men.

When people's upper teeth show when they talk, this looks more like a smile and thus makes them look friendlier and more inviting to me. When I can only see a talking person's lower teeth, I start to feel as if the person is grimacing at me. I also just don't like the way it looks.

(3) I dislike it when a person has a thick lower lip that protrudes more than his or her upper lip.

I prefer the appearance of someone's mouth when his or her upper lip is larger or at least equal in thickness to the lower lip. I tend to dislike big, pouty lower lips.

However, I will add that I notice affection and love for a person can shift my perceptions of that person's facial characteristics quite a bit. If I feel happy and intimate with a person, I can find him to be beautiful even if his features might not be as inherently appealing to me.

BTW, here's an interesting article about how "average" facial dimensions are quite consistently found to be most attractive, while features that are even a few millimeters off from the average positions tend to be deemed less attractive: Ideal beauty a matter of millimeters, study says - Health - Skin and beauty | NBC News

Last edited by Sunpaws; 10-22-2014 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM

30,379 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
BAD TEETH. I knew a girl who told me she was married this man -- and I practically screamed -- it's SO obvious he doesn't take care of his mouth. Big plaque plugs half way up his teeth...

...one of the reasons I find George Clooney so distasteful. The lack of oral hygiene is evident, and who knows what's going on under all those caps? Yuck.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,272,211 times
I have to add the bad teeth. That's my only major turn-off and yet I seem to attract people with that trait constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Another instant facial turnoff is when a woman has drawn in eyebrows. Kinda like the whole sharpie eyebrow thing that a certain segment of young women were doing a few years ago. That is another instant turnoff for me.
I do that since I hate my eyebrows. Now I just kind of brush a pencil over them lightly but as a teenager I was sporting some wild eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Lack of facial symmetry and jaw definition
Thin lips
Really large/awkward nose
Crowded/crooked teeth
Odd head shape
I keep reading the thin lips thing. It's funny, my best friend from childhood has really thin lips, they can be really attractive depending on the shape. She had the kind of shaped-thin lips that looked really good in wine red and other darker lipsticks without it being too much. When I try to wear that stuff, I just look ridiculous, mean or both.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Ladies - The drawn on eyebrows. That's turrible. Also when I've encountered women who made the mistake of shaving facial hair, and wound up with stubble. *sigh* I'm so sorry for them. Someone should have told them not to do that. There are other ways to remove it. Something like that, I've got to make a real effort to avoid looking at.

Men - Overwhelming eyebrows. Ones that come to mind, that I never liked, young Sean Connery (007's eyebrows were just too much) and Leonardo DiCaprio, whom I find profoundly unattractive anyways. His kinda squinty eyes don't help matters. Also, dudes who have moustaches but no beards to go with 'em. The 70's are over. Grow it or shave it, don't be indecisive man... And men who are in denial about balding. It's more attractive if a guy just shaves it all off and embraces the bald, than for him to gradually just get balder and balder, with a big growing spot in the middle and eventually a fringe, or the dreaded comb-over. (I know, that's hair and not a facial feature, but some folks have mentioned ears, so I'm going with it.)

Anyone - Don't like foreheads that seem disproportionately big or noticeably bulging. I met a woman not long ago, I swear it looked like someone had squished all of her actual face into the lower half of that real estate and her forehead was huge...it really bothered me. Also, I'm not really a fan of the cleft chin, on anyone male or female.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
So many superficial people, looks like certain races of people are ruled out of the dating scene by natural traits alone, as well...

Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
So many superficial people, looks like certain races of people are ruled out of the dating scene by natural traits alone, as well...
One person's turn off is another person's fetish. No one is ruled out, only perhaps for some particular person out there. No one here gets to dictate what is universally OK or not.

Which is also why no one should read this and feel a self esteem hit when some feature they've got comes up in someone else's "I don't like that" list...because who cares what that poster likes?

I don't like small dogs or flat faced cats either. Just means I don't get one, doesn't mean no one should.

Personal case in point: I have a small tumor at the end of my nose. Strangers have referred to it as a zit or wart or mole. It is none of those things. I actually had it removed years ago (it came back when it healed) because I was worried it might be skin cancer. Well, it went to a lab and they analyzed it and it turns out it's a benign tumor...but it's pretty determined to be there. The removal process was very unpleasant (and not cheap) so I'm not going back to try again. I'm just living with this rather flagrant facial flaw.

I admit that I'm just a little self conscious about it sometimes...even though I have, on an intellectual level, made peace with it as just part of "me." I don't expect others to find me attractive, largely because of this, and am kind of always surprised when anyone does, but it never really matters...I'm married and it doesn't seem to bother my husband.

Now, I see on any number of posts here something like acne, zits, warts, moles, etc. And I think "man what would this person think if they saw my nose? lol!" Fortunately though...the opinions of people I don't know and likely never will don't need to carry much weight with me. *shrug*

Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,736,055 times
Long faces
Recessed chin
Big gums
Dolphin teeth
Jacked up eyebrows
High foreheads
Huge moles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty