U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 9,212 times

Advertisements

Poor hygiene, oral & bodily, is definitely a big nope. But to list things that ARE appreciated/valued:
Creases that form because the person smiles a lot. Gentle eyes that view you without judgment. Hands that are a bit callused because the person knows how to work and aren't prissy about it. Marks and scars that tell stories about a person's life experience-adds character. True wisdom and good stuff on the inside will always show on the outside, no matter one's age or how much they meet current standard of "beauty"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,205,564 times
Unibrow (I have this )
Downwards slanted eyes.
Downwards creases at the ends of the mouth
Hook nose or big nose
Sticky out ears
Lantern jaw shape
Very round faces
Double chin
Gaunt skeletal faces
Small lips
Excessively big lips
Thin upper lips (I like it to be the same size as the lower lip).

Last edited by MeteoMan; 10-25-2014 at 10:01 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
One person's turn off is another person's fetish. No one is ruled out, only perhaps for some particular person out there. No one here gets to dictate what is universally OK or not.

Which is also why no one should read this and feel a self esteem hit when some feature they've got comes up in someone else's "I don't like that" list...because who cares what that poster likes?

I don't like small dogs or flat faced cats either. Just means I don't get one, doesn't mean no one should.

Personal case in point: I have a small tumor at the end of my nose. Strangers have referred to it as a zit or wart or mole. It is none of those things. I actually had it removed years ago (it came back when it healed) because I was worried it might be skin cancer. Well, it went to a lab and they analyzed it and it turns out it's a benign tumor...but it's pretty determined to be there. The removal process was very unpleasant (and not cheap) so I'm not going back to try again. I'm just living with this rather flagrant facial flaw.

I admit that I'm just a little self conscious about it sometimes...even though I have, on an intellectual level, made peace with it as just part of "me." I don't expect others to find me attractive, largely because of this, and am kind of always surprised when anyone does, but it never really matters...I'm married and it doesn't seem to bother my husband.

Now, I see on any number of posts here something like acne, zits, warts, moles, etc. And I think "man what would this person think if they saw my nose? lol!" Fortunately though...the opinions of people I don't know and likely never will don't need to carry much weight with me. *shrug*
I just feel like people are being way to picky, as if there's always options or something. I wish I had that liberty.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I just feel like people are being way to picky, as if there's always options or something. I wish I had that liberty.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the purpose of this thread is not whether any of us have the right to be discriminating in our choice of partners, or should simply accept anyone who wants us no matter what they might look like. I don't want to see it moved to "Relationships" (ugh) because frankly, it's not about choices in mates. The question was one of simple aesthetics, in keeping with the "fashion and beauty" thread...what do you find appealing to look at, or NOT.

At least I prefer to see it that way in light of where the convo is parked.

Also I totally agree with the poster who said that what's on the inside can often leak through to the outside. A person who may not fit the magazine cover definition of perfect beauty often has character lines and marks that clearly say "I am a happy person with an amazing life story. I'm someone you would like to know." I happen to love older people for that reason. More depth, more stories, more character.

I mentioned Sean Connery earlier because his eyebrows were just too much when he was younger...but what I neglected to say is that I found him very, very appealing as an older man. Circa Highlander through Medicine Man, he was VERY attractive. A lot of men especially seem to get better with age.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the purpose of this thread is not whether any of us have the right to be discriminating in our choice of partners, or should simply accept anyone who wants us no matter what they might look like. I don't want to see it moved to "Relationships" (ugh) because frankly, it's not about choices in mates. The question was one of simple aesthetics, in keeping with the "fashion and beauty" thread...what do you find appealing to look at, or NOT.

At least I prefer to see it that way in light of where the convo is parked.

Also I totally agree with the poster who said that what's on the inside can often leak through to the outside. A person who may not fit the magazine cover definition of perfect beauty often has character lines and marks that clearly say "I am a happy person with an amazing life story. I'm someone you would like to know." I happen to love older people for that reason. More depth, more stories, more character.

I mentioned Sean Connery earlier because his eyebrows were just too much when he was younger...but what I neglected to say is that I found him very, very appealing as an older man. Circa Highlander through Medicine Man, he was VERY attractive. A lot of men especially seem to get better with age.
That makes me feel better.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
The point, beyond simple curiosity and starting a cool discussion, was to discover trends in dislikes, so that people can better know themselves or in some cases know what to change about themselves. I didn't say turn-offs are deal-breakers; some are, some aren't.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
I truly dislike bushy beard, you know the kind that James Galafanakis (sp?) wear. Everytime I see him it reminds me of a beekeeper with bees around his chin. Disgusting! I find Santa Claus' beard disgusting too. But then, I like men who are clean shaven. I'm frankly baffled by the current trend of men going around looking disheveled.

Edited to add: some men do look good with beard, Sean Connery, Kenny Rogers, and Michael McDonald (singer) came to mind. My point is, if you must have a beard, please keep it trim and tidy. I can't even imagine trying to eat with all that unkemp hair around my mouth. Eeew!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:50 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times
Anything with hair growing out of it... Nose, moles, etc. razor stubble is however acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty