U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 AM

5,152 posts, read 3,655,207 times

Advertisements

Who cares what the other guys are wearing? Be yourself, wear what you are comfortable in both physically and mentally. Unless you are gawd awefully ugly, you WILL attract girls because the clothes you wear are nice and neat.

Maybe you won't attract the same girls the other guys are attracting because of the way they dress, but you'll attract girls who like the way YOU dress. First impressions often mean a lot, but that doesn't mean that you'll keep them unless you have a personallity that they also like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 21,349 times
It depends on the girls you're going after. I was just wearing nice jeans and a cardigan and some girl said i "looked gay" and pointed to a guy wearing baggy jeans and some ugly shirt and said that's what she was after. I then explained to her that I was perfectly straight and that she wasn't the type of girl I was trying to attract anyways. So it depends on what you want. If you want trashy girls dress trashy. If you want classy girls then dress classy. You don't have to go over the top though...just make sure your clothes fit properly, you match, you're well groomed and let your confidence do the rest.

It's a damn shame that if a man wants to dress nice and feel good that you automatically are gay. I have plenty of gay friends that don't dress nice.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 3,340,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...60072134_n.jpg

View image: aquamarine lacoste shirt navy chambray shorts ta

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/efd5b80d...639cfd60e0.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...64192537_n.jpg

So, I am 20 years old and I been trying to dress good by wearing oxford shirts and polos with boat shoes or driving moccasins with matching belt always. The problem is people keep calling me gay when I have switched to this style and I don't really live in a wealthy area. So do girls like it when you dress well or more casual with t shirts and running shoes? That way girls and guys don't think your gay. Like in my area guys wear jordans or running shoes and try to match shirt with shoes. Even though, that looks odd.
You're being called gay because the male species knows nothing of style.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM

225 posts, read 216,121 times
I liked all the looks except the first one with the bright blue pants. I don't know much about men's clothing, but as single female, I would not be attracted to the first look with the blue pants.

You are a nice looking guy, and I'm sure you won't have any problem attracting girls. If you want some advice, the men who work in the men's departments in Nordstrom's, Macy's, etc. can fix you up with great style. Just tell them what type of look you prefer. My BIL worked his way through college working at Nordies. He was a personal shopper for a lot of men.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:52 AM

72,878 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

# 4 looks fine for a bunch of guys hanging out in business casual clothes after work.
#4 has the gay pants colors mixed in, though. Do guys really wear pink pants these days?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,539 times
it's a pretty standard preppy look. The last pic with the pastels strikes me as very southern frat boy. That version of the preppy look does not work very well outside of the south, IMO. Maybe in Martha's Vineyard.

Preppy is not terrible, but I don't think there is anything about it that women find particularly appealing or "sexy." Just look at what movie stars wear as casual wear. It's never nantucket reds with a tucked in oxford and driving mocs. If you want to stick with preppy, copy what's in the J.Crew lookbook, not the J.Press lookbook.

I actually do think in most places women will find you more attractive in a nice pair of jeans, nice plain t-shirt and nice basic sneakers, like chuck taylors or basic Vans. Or a full on suit. That is what every girlfriend I've had thought were the best looks. James Dean and Steve McQueen, not Andy Benard and Orville Redenbacker.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,644,408 times
I thought they all looked nice, clean and neat. I could do without the pastel trousers though.

Take it from someone whose husband dressed in three piece suits, bow tie, and pocket watch; wear what you like not what other people dictate. This will show you are your own person and will attract the kind of women who can appreciate that.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 6,152,959 times
Package check. Be your own man. There's no use trying to figure out what attracts women just make money and be stable. Do that and you will attract women.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
#4 has the gay pants colors mixed in, though. Do guys really wear pink pants these days?
Yeah, in the south. My cousins who went to private high school in Louisville always dressed like that when we visited them for easter.

I don't think of that look as "gay" because gay men usually have much better fashion sense.

It's more like "I'm so confident about my straightness I can wear these ridiculous pants without worrying about what anyone thinks about my personality." See also: golf clothing.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM

72,878 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Reality check, OP: "Most women", as you put it in your title, don't all like the same thing. Fashion sense and preferences will be varied. Most do, however, like guys who are at least neat and clean. Within that general guideline, you're free to wing it. Do what suits you best, and you'll attract women who will suit you. Try to squeeze yourself into an alien mold just because you think it'll work, and you'll attract women who won't be a good match with you. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or