U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,548,746 times

Advertisements

It's kinda gay. Pink pants, really?

Shirts can be bolder colors, but pants should be more neutral.

Personally, I don't like that style. It's the frat boy look.

If I could recommend something, go for a Salt Lake City look. Check out Kuhl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:42 PM

15,758 posts, read 13,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...60072134_n.jpg

View image: aquamarine lacoste shirt navy chambray shorts ta

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/efd5b80d...639cfd60e0.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...64192537_n.jpg

So, I am 20 years old and I been trying to dress good by wearing oxford shirts and polos with boat shoes or driving moccasins with matching belt always. The problem is people keep calling me gay when I have switched to this style and I don't really live in a wealthy area. So do girls like it when you dress well or more casual with t shirts and running shoes? That way girls and guys don't think your gay. Like in my area guys wear jordans or running shoes and try to match shirt with shoes. Even though, that looks odd.
Part of the issue maybe fit.

Preppy guys, especially those of the "old money" type will typically wear their clothes less fitted that compared to the first three pics you posted. When shirts and pants fit much more closely to the body, it can read as "gay" sometimes. Ironically, it looks better.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,908,723 times
The pic that is an obvious selfie (green shirt, blue pants) looks terrible! The other guys have a better understanding of which colors go well together.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 825 times
Women like CLEAN. Well groomed. They notice shoes, nails, hair and clothing in good condition that fits, and a good wrist watch. As a young guy, getting "slim" fit pants or at least some without a baggy ass, etc. is good. Neutral colors...tan, beige, white, light blues, grays, etc. and you don't have to worry about coordinating. Save your polos, etc. for dates or special occasions, and go with t-shirts, maybe team logo stuff that is masculine, but not out of a GAP. Try out some flat soled cross trainers or something sleeker and low profile that doesn't look like you're going to a track meet. Maybe leather loafers with a good buff rather than boat shoes...

Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 PM

11,638 posts, read 17,054,763 times
Lol, those guys looks weird to me. Not very attractive at all other than the guy in dark blue shorts and white shirt. HE is attractive but his clothes are still ugly....to me. I like guys that wear regular jeans. Fashion is not important but to dress like he has been fed with a silver spoon his whole life is not attractive.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,719,117 times
If the pictures you showed are looks that you really like then don't worry about what others think or say. The most important thing is to be confident with your looks (including clothing). If you personally have feelings of "does this make me look gay" then maybe it isn't the right look for you.

Personally I am not too fond of the "preppy" look. It is a little too uptight for me and has the potential to look a little gay to me especially if worn too tightly. I like a little more ruggedness. The looks below are somewhat preppy but more relaxed which I think is more attractive...but that is just me. It's still not what I prefer on men but I am an older woman and as my daughter reminds me.....I don't know what fashion is today anyway!

Josh & Jensen are in a Preppy State of Mind | Jensen Ackles, Josh Henderson : Just Jared

Also google "rugged preppy". You would be more unlikely to get the gay comments with these looks which still come across as dressing very nice.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
Default Do most women like you to dress like this?

Quote:
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...60072134_n.jpg

View image: aquamarine lacoste shirt navy chambray shorts ta

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/efd5b80d...639cfd60e0.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...64192537_n.jpg

So, I am 20 years old and I been trying to dress good by wearing oxford shirts and polos with boat shoes or driving moccasins with matching belt always. The problem is people keep calling me gay when I have switched to this style and I don't really live in a wealthy area. So do girls like it when you dress well or more casual with t shirts and running shoes? That way girls and guys don't think your gay. Like in my area guys wear jordans or running shoes and try to match shirt with shoes. Even though, that looks odd.
Obviously it depends on the type of women and the type of guys they are accustomed to.

I have a feeling you're not respecting the context shaped by the type of people that surround you. This is indicated by the fact you felt the need to say " I don't really live in a wealthy area". I think your saying that also indicates you see this style of dress as not typical of whatever type of person you ultimately feel you are. I don't know how much you actually interact with people, but you obviously do some, because you're explaining their reactions to the way you're trying to dress here.

It kind of sounds like you're trying to be an island to yourself, like you're detached from those who surround you in real life. If that's true, a good question is: why?

Another good question that I'm curious about is this: do you have any friends who dress like you're dressing or how you want to dress?

I don't know how others feel about this and I'm not sure what to think exactly myself, but I'm thinking maybe not everybody can pull off every style of dressing. I mean, if a style doesn't fit your personality, you may seem awkward and stand out in a negative way. Sometimes people can look out of place in the clothes that they're in. An example is certain types of guys in suits. I mean, there are certain types who if you see in a suit, you just know that they have a court date. If you understand what I'm saying here, something similar could be going on with you and the type of clothes you're wearing.

Anyway, isn't your old username "cokeman"?

It's amazing cokeman's posts ended the day callofdutyplayer's posts began and how similar the threads each have created are in nature.

cokeman:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12193983

callofdutyplayer:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12194029

Last edited by MOKAN; 07-13-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 AM

226 posts, read 709,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Obviously it depends on the type of women and the type of guys they are accustomed to.

I have a feeling you're not respecting the context shaped by the type of people that surround you. This is indicated by the fact you felt the need to say " I don't really live in a wealthy area". I think your saying that also indicates you see this style of dress as not typical of whatever type of person you ultimately feel you are. I don't know how much you actually interact with people, but you obviously do some, because you're explaining their reactions to the way you're trying to dress here.

It kind of sounds like you're trying to be an island to yourself, like you're detached from those who surround you in real life. If that's true, a good question is: why?

Another good question that I'm curious about is this: do you have any friends who dress like you're dressing or how you want to dress?

I don't know how others feel about this and I'm not sure what to think exactly myself, but I'm thinking maybe not everybody can pull off every style of dressing. I mean, if a style doesn't fit your personality, you may seem awkward and stand out in a negative way. Sometimes people can look out of place in the clothes that they're in. An example is certain types of guys in suits. I mean, there are certain types who if you see in a suit, you just know that they have a court date. If you understand what I'm saying here, something similar could be going on with you and the type of clothes you're wearing.

Anyway, isn't your old username "cokeman"?

It's amazing cokeman's posts ended the day callofdutyplayer's posts began and how similar the threads each have created are in nature.

cokeman:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12193983

callofdutyplayer:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12194029

How can you say someone is gay by wearing blue pants? or pink shorts?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,941,718 times
Jeans are not part of the look you are going for check out Bill's khakis stone color.Athletic shoes are not either. Nix on the tight fitting clothing as well. No jewelry other than a wdiing ring and a watch-an understated watch not dome gigantic,yellow Rolex. Think Cartier tank. Your grosgrain watchband is good.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
Quote:
How can you say someone is gay by wearing blue pants? or pink shorts?
I didn't say anything like that. Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or