U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM
 
Location: oHIo
613 posts, read 570,430 times
Reputation: 1305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...60072134_n.jpg

View image: aquamarine lacoste shirt navy chambray shorts ta

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/efd5b80d...639cfd60e0.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...64192537_n.jpg


So, I am 20 years old and I been trying to dress good by wearing oxford shirts and polos with boat shoes or driving moccasins with matching belt always. The problem is people keep calling me gay when I have switched to this style and I don't really live in a wealthy area. So do girls like it when you dress well or more casual with t shirts and running shoes? That way girls and guys don't think your gay. Like in my area guys wear jordans or running shoes and try to match shirt with shoes. Even though, that looks odd.
I'm guessing you look a little too "done". For casual wear, do you tuck your Oxford shirt into your Khaki shorts? Big no-no, unless you are visiting your Gramma. NEVER tuck in a polo shirt. Don't wear socks with your boat shoes/driving mocs/casual loafers . Not sure if the matching belt is necessary, either.

Check out old pics of the Kennedy Clan, or other wealthy eastern seaboard types. They invented this casual style of dressing.

I did a Google search with the phrase "WASP style for men", you should do the same

WASPs: What They Really Wear | Gastro ChicGastro Chic

EDIT: Didn't click your links before I posted. I'm right, you are waaay too buttoned down/tucked in. I also agree with others, your casual wear is too form fitting. You want to look artfully casual without being sloppy. It's a tough look to pull off, but this guy looks great, imo

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3466/3...eb38a1e850.jpg

Last edited by Ten Cat; 07-15-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 AM
 
226 posts, read 709,543 times
Reputation: 135
Yeah how about non bright colors like navy/ light blue like these tall good looking guys are wearing. Going back to college need good style

http://oi41.tinypic.com/iyhcud.jpg

http://mdak.on.com/md/329/p3owv3ql8ufjru2ti21g_M.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 AM
 
226 posts, read 170,117 times
Reputation: 150
Guy #3 is the most fashionable out of the 4 to me. The Ray Ban Wayfarer gives him a vintage look along with the boat shoes. Looks pretty cool even for a preppy dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,961 posts, read 4,693,910 times
Reputation: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
You want to look artfully casual without being sloppy. It's a tough look to pull off, but this guy looks great, imo

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3466/3...eb38a1e850.jpg
There is nothing artfully casual about that guy. He looks like any dad wearing clothes his wife bought him at Kohl's :P Nothing inherently *wrong* with that - if I saw him in the street I wouldn't think twice, positive or negative (meaning it's a simple, normal outfit - nothing to make fun of or anything). But, if you're bringing that up in terms of a fashion example I have to say there is nothing really that fashionable there to me.

That's not to say that I loved what the OP posted, but the 3rd picture in the OP is worlds better than that dad in sandals :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM
 
Location: U.S. (East Coast)
1,231 posts, read 977,990 times
Reputation: 2626

NO! Not all women like when men wear that kind of style.
NOT. AT. ALL.
Meh.

I have more of a rock/chic style about me and like the same in a guy ----- slightly goth or rocker or grunge. Or at least wear normal clothes in darker colors and don't wear sandals or flip flops all of the time. Boots, slip on shoes, loafers are good for everyday wear for men.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,150,973 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2D2 View Post
Guy #3 is the most fashionable out of the 4 to me. The Ray Ban Wayfarer gives him a vintage look along with the boat shoes. Looks pretty cool even for a preppy dude.
I agree! #3 is the most fashionable and the type of guy I'd like to talk with.

A lot of guys in New Orleans dress like #3 and I loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,080 posts, read 37,733,259 times
Reputation: 73744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
There is nothing artfully casual about that guy. He looks like any dad wearing clothes his wife bought him at Kohl's :P Nothing inherently *wrong* with that - if I saw him in the street I wouldn't think twice, positive or negative (meaning it's a simple, normal outfit - nothing to make fun of or anything). But, if you're bringing that up in terms of a fashion example I have to say there is nothing really that fashionable there to me.

That's not to say that I loved what the OP posted, but the 3rd picture in the OP is worlds better than that dad in sandals :P
I agree. And cargo shorts = .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
 
13,466 posts, read 14,456,841 times
Reputation: 7650
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...60072134_n.jpg

View image: aquamarine lacoste shirt navy chambray shorts ta

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/efd5b80d...639cfd60e0.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...64192537_n.jpg


So, I am 20 years old and I been trying to dress good by wearing oxford shirts and polos with boat shoes or driving moccasins with matching belt always. The problem is people keep calling me gay when I have switched to this style and I don't really live in a wealthy area. So do girls like it when you dress well or more casual with t shirts and running shoes? That way girls and guys don't think your gay. Like in my area guys wear jordans or running shoes and try to match shirt with shoes. Even though, that looks odd.
I think it depends on you build i.e are you stocky or tall, slender and feminine looking.

Also, a feminine hairstyle will soften the butch look that can come with preppy clothing. You don't want to sport a mullet type of hair styl.

LOL, a few years ago another woman on CD was concerned about looking like a lesbian when she wore polo shirts:

this polo shirt makes me feel like a........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 PM
 
Location: New Zealand and Australia
7,458 posts, read 11,130,595 times
Reputation: 7783
Is the guy in the 2nd link in revenge of the nerds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
Yeah how about non bright colors like navy/ light blue like these tall good looking guys are wearing. Going back to college need good style

http://oi41.tinypic.com/iyhcud.jpg

http://mdak.on.com/md/329/p3owv3ql8ufjru2ti21g_M.jpg
You've been on this for at least a year and half and you still haven't found your style, cokeman?

You're very indecisive and have major identity issues. You're a working-class kid who wants to mimic wealthy kids in superficial ways, such as through fashion and style. You seem to think superficial things will make you something you're not, as though they will magically transform you. They won't. You need to understand that who a person is comes from the inside and works its way out, that it's not the other way around. You can't be something you're not. If you naturally like a style, that's fine and you should go with it, but it really seems you're trying to put the cart before the horse and thinking clothes and other superficial things will magically transform you. If you really want to be like the other kids you're idolizing, become friends and hang out with them. If that works out, you'll naturally gravitate in their direction and won't have to artificially plan and go after all of this.

If anybody else is curious about what I'm saying, callofdutyplayer's threads like this go back at least a year and a half on his previous username, cokeman. This new username just happened to start being used the same day of cokeman's last post.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=13128841

Anyway, this thinking reminds me of Elliot Rodger's regarding the "package" he thought he had put together and thought should have made him attractive to women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top