Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:49 PM

505 posts, read 501,979 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll be starting an apprenticeship (hopefully leading to a full time position) with a general contracting company that is based primarily in the Southwest in June after graduating college, and it'll be the first job I've had that doesn't have a set/provided uniform. The only thing I've been told is "business casual." Being my first professional level job, what does that even mean?

Pretty much what I've had in mind is a pair of nice shoes (like Oxfords?), well-fitting pants (not too large and not too tight), and a button down long-sleeve shirt with a tie? Then I thought maybe business casual has different meaning for different climates? Las Vegas might have a different definition of business casual than what is defined in Portland.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure where to start or what kind of clothing to even look for! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Leave off the tie, and you'll be business casual.

If you're going to be on jobsites fairly often, you'll want boots instead of oxfords.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Hey all,

I'll be starting an apprenticeship (hopefully leading to a full time position) with a general contracting company that is based primarily in the Southwest in June after graduating college, and it'll be the first job I've had that doesn't have a set/provided uniform. The only thing I've been told is "business casual." Being my first professional level job, what does that even mean?

Pretty much what I've had in mind is a pair of nice shoes (like Oxfords?), well-fitting pants (not too large and not too tight), and a button down long-sleeve shirt with a tie? Then I thought maybe business casual has different meaning for different climates? Las Vegas might have a different definition of business casual than what is defined in Portland.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure where to start or what kind of clothing to even look for! Thanks!
Business casual usually means no blue jeans, no running shoes and a shirt with a collar. Ties are not necessary, but not considered out of place. Most people in my office wore a button-up or polo shirt, Dockers and black leather shoes when we had a business casual dress code. Managers usually wore a jacket as well.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
It seems to vary a lot. I went to an event recently with people from all over the world, and it had a "business casual" dress code. For me, that mean a simple, conservative dress and low heels. But I saw people in jeans and t-shirts, jeans and button downs, old ripped jeans, yoga pants, club clothes, and so on. Apparently not everyone agrees on what business casual is. For men I saw a lot of jeans with nice shirts, but then also saw dress slacks with button downs, dressy outfits like suits without ties and jackets, an occasional jacket and pants, and a whole lot of saggy rumpled polos with khakis. Maybe get one or two safe outfits - pants and button down - and then just see what everyone else is wearing before committing to a new wardrobe.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
In the Southwest "Business casual" means dress shirt, dress slacks, or pressed khakis, leather belt, and leather dress shoes. You omit the tie and suit coat or blazer. Though, you should have a suit coat or blazer around for dinner with clients or co-workers, or for a formal setting like entering a church, doing business at a professional office (court house, university, attorney, banker, architect, etc.) Jeans and polo shirt are only worn at companies that allow "Casual Friday", or coming in after hours on the weekend.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
a decade ago, biz casual meant dress slacks + dress shirt + dress oxford shoes (no tie, no jacket). But there's been a lot of casual creep, especially in the past 5 or 6 yrs. Now it's dress shirt + Docker chinos + dress oxford shoes, and for many firms (especially in hands-on manufacturing industries) it's polo + Docker chinos + dress loafers. It's even worse in IT/tech and start-ups... you can wear dark jeans & leather sneaks and they think it's "biz casual" because they're not in joggers & tees.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It seems to vary a lot. I went to an event recently with people from all over the world, and it had a "business casual" dress code. For me, that mean a simple, conservative dress and low heels. But I saw people in jeans and t-shirts, jeans and button downs, old ripped jeans, yoga pants, club clothes, and so on. Apparently not everyone agrees on what business casual is. For men I saw a lot of jeans with nice shirts, but then also saw dress slacks with button downs, dressy outfits like suits without ties and jackets, an occasional jacket and pants, and a whole lot of saggy rumpled polos with khakis. Maybe get one or two safe outfits - pants and button down - and then just see what everyone else is wearing before committing to a new wardrobe.
I agree with how many of the other responses described business casual but this term caused problems in several organizations where I was in upper management. As soon as HR would mention business casual, people would dress similar to the way you described. They assumed in meant ripped jeans, t-shirts, sleeveless t-shirts, old beat up sneakers, etc. Guys in IT are some of the worst. I had guys who looked like they slept in their same clothes several nights in a row. Some looked like they hadn't bought new clothes in over 20 years.

I thought a standard wardrobe with Khaki or navy blue pants, and polo type shirts would solve the problem, but HR was against it. It never made sense to me and we always had employees who dressed like they were cleaning the garage.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
So true, varies wildly by field.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
In my world, finance and accounting in western states, it means khaki pants & button downs (tie usually) for men and khaki type pants or skirts and conservative tops for women. Footwear always leather and site dependent. It never means jeans or sneakers.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
There is so much variation, not just regionally but between companies, I would suggest going by there and drop off a friend to ask for directions or something and see how the others are dressed. I take it you have not been at that location for an interview to see what they were wearing? Here we are business casual and most men wear Khakis or similar pants, with either polo or dress shirt, no tie unless having to go to a board meeting that day. Then it's a suit and tie. Most women wear pants and nice shirt too, skirts/dresses are rare. We also have "casual Friday" when jeans and sneakers are allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty