U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM

459 posts, read 510,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I do seem to think you like to see what you want to see in terms of standards of beauty. I know the exact story you are referencing that was quickly debunked. I do have to wonder though, if it was such an obvious conclusion, why isn't there a ton of academic research on the topic.

One important thing I have learned (and this was reinforced by a visit to the Museum of Sex. If you are in NYC it is actually a really cool museum to check out), is that there are some things that are innate in human sexuality and attraction, and many other things that are defined by your own society. This translates across cultures and across animal species.

So for people in "western society" fair skin, youthfulness, radiance and delicate features have been defined as "feminine." And in other culture different ideals predominate. Some culture like wide hips, some like narrow hips. Some like small waists and big butts, others like small waists and big hips with flat butts. Some like big breasts, others don't like that at all. And of course individuals have their own preferences too.

Other than symmetry, there isn't much in terms of universal beauty.
In Western society, actually fair skin isn't attractive that's why we tan... Which I actually appreciate because I do better at tanning since I'm natural olive in complexion.

But it's no point in addressing him he's long gone by now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM

459 posts, read 510,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Miranda Kerr is a good example, even though she does have kind of a large nose. But still she looks youthful and very feminine.

Yeah her face is round that's why she looks so feminine I think

Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 PM

877 posts, read 1,025,727 times
Quote:
I do seem to think you like to see what you want to see in terms of standards of beauty. I know the exact story you are referencing that was quickly debunked. I do have to wonder though, if it was such an obvious conclusion, why isn't there a ton of academic research on the topic.

One important thing I have learned (and this was reinforced by a visit to the Museum of Sex. If you are in NYC it is actually a really cool museum to check out), is that there are some things that are innate in human sexuality and attraction, and many other things that are defined by your own society. This translates across cultures and across animal species.

So for people in "western society" fair skin, youthfulness, radiance and delicate features have been defined as "feminine." And in other culture different ideals predominate. Some culture like wide hips, some like narrow hips. Some like small waists and big butts, others like small waists and big hips with flat butts. Some like big breasts, others don't like that at all. And of course individuals have their own preferences too.

Other than symmetry, there isn't much in terms of universal beauty.
The study wasn't debunked, it was simply pulled out/taken down because it offended some.

I never once stated these are my ideals of beauty (aside from saying I think Gisele Bundchen is masculine and has a horseface).

Sure, beauty is subjective but to act as though there are no ideals of beauty is naive.

And while tan skin is cool in the west, everywhere else (including in the black American and Latin American communities) bleaching is VERY common.

But we're talking about the face, not body proportions.

But I find it odd that you didn't point out his/her/whatevers assertion that white women are more masculine. I guess people only pick out generalizations when they don't benefit When something said makes the minority of people feel better about themselves they ignore it I suppose.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
The study wasn't debunked, it was simply pulled out/taken down because it offended some.
The aforementioned study wasn't peer reviewed so it all seems pretty useless to me.

Quote:
I never once stated these are my ideals of beauty (aside from saying I think Gisele Bundchen is masculine and has a horseface).

Sure, beauty is subjective but to act as though there are no ideals of beauty is naive.

And while tan skin is cool in the west, everywhere else (including in the black American and Latin American communities) bleaching is VERY common.

But we're talking about the face, not body proportions.

But I find it odd that you didn't point out his/her/whatevers assertion that white women are more masculine. I guess people only pick out generalizations when they don't benefit When something said makes the minority of people feel better about themselves they ignore it I suppose.
I pretty much stopped reading after your post attempting to derail things into a race thread, and didn't pick up all the threads. So yes I decided to pick on you specifically, as it appears you are the instigator if you will.

I've seen feminine faces in all ethnic groups/races. And masculine ones too. There is way too much human facial feature variation/genetic diversity to pick and choose features belong to who. All of the so called "black" features can easily be found in non black people and vice versa.

For example, we attribute "almond eyes" to asian people, and it is really common for nordic people and africans to have them too. There is a really old article from Discover Magazine about defining race, and they choose different genetic characteristics that line up race quite differently.
Race Without Color | DiscoverMagazine.com

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The aforementioned study wasn't peer reviewed so it all seems pretty useless to me.

I pretty much stopped reading after your post attempting to derail things into a race thread, and didn't pick up all the threads. So yes I decided to pick on you specifically, as it appears you are the instigator if you will.

I've seen feminine faces in all ethnic groups/races. And masculine ones too. There is way too much human facial feature variation/genetic diversity to pick and choose features belong to who. All of the so called "black" features can easily be found in non black people and vice versa.

For example, we attribute "almond eyes" to asian people, and it is really common for nordic people and africans to have them too. There is a really old article from Discover Magazine about defining race, and they choose different genetic characteristics that line up race quite differently.
Race Without Color | DiscoverMagazine.com
I never mentioned race, OP did. Light skin/complexions exist within every single race and ethnicity. Light skin exists in the Latin, black, East/SE Asian, middle eastern and Indian communities and even within the white/European communities. Why do you think bleaching is so common? Because everyone is the same shade?
But I see, you only took offense because you feel that your race is being targeted or excluded, which is why you didn't take offense when the OP made an assertion about another race of women being masculine.

LOL ok

Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Something about soft features, slightly high cheek bones, soft nose not the pointy nose you see often. Thin lips are not necessarily attractive.

Very very few women carry fair skin well.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
what make a face feminine, boobs, and you think I'm joking

Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 PM

188 posts, read 175,702 times
What the heck is a jalapeño nose?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
What the heck is a jalapeño nose?
A Paris Hilton or Karolina Kurkova like nose.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I never mentioned race, OP did. Light skin/complexions exist within every single race and ethnicity. Light skin exists in the Latin, black, East/SE Asian, middle eastern and Indian communities and even within the white/European communities. Why do you think bleaching is so common? Because everyone is the same shade?
But I see, you only took offense because you feel that your race is being targeted or excluded, which is why you didn't take offense when the OP made an assertion about another race of women being masculine.

LOL ok
I have been around the block enough to notice the trend in your previous posts, and your use of the term monkey lips, which everyone in this thread is well aware of when this is used as a euphemism. So yes, I think that would be a derogatory phrase. But I understand, from your point of view "black women" are always calling you out on your offensive posts so we must be insecure. I have some theories on where your issues stem from, but they are off topic for the thread.

I am well aware colorism is common through out the world, and it coincides pretty closely with places that were colonized. Colorism does play out differently in East Asian cultures, since skin tone is analogous to ruling class vs worker class. South Asian, Latin and the African diasporas have more in common with their reasoning behind colorism. But it is all related to conditioning in western societies.

We don't have a broad definition of femininity in the western world. Although this thread is about facial features, analyzing personality traits defined as femme would uncover similarities to the dynamic of colorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty