U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM

188 posts, read 175,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
A Paris Hilton or Karolina Kurkova like nose.
Long, skinny and unnatural looking, got it, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 PM

877 posts, read 1,025,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have been around the block enough to notice the trend in your previous posts, and your use of the term monkey lips, which everyone in this thread is well aware of when this is used as a euphemism. So yes, I think that would be a derogatory phrase. But I understand, from your point of view "black women" are always calling you out on your offensive posts so we must be insecure. I have some theories on where your issues stem from, but they are off topic for the thread.

I am well aware colorism is common through out the world, and it coincides pretty closely with places that were colonized. Colorism does play out differently in East Asian cultures, since skin tone is analogous to ruling class vs worker class. South Asian, Latin and the African diasporas have more in common with their reasoning behind colorism. But it is all related to conditioning in western societies.

We don't have a broad definition of femininity in the western world. Although this thread is about facial features, analyzing personality traits defined as femme would uncover similarities to the dynamic of colorism.
Uh, first off the monkey lips thing was referring to big lips with bright lipstick, like the current orange trend. And a guy friend used that term. I don't have big lips, therefore I don't really care how big lips are perceived. But I notice a lot of girls who do wear bright lipstick (like orange since it is the trend now) apply it in a very sloppy way. It only make the lips look bigger.

And I have no issues, and you have no way of even analyzing where any issues would stem from if I did have any since I've already stated i'm not part white. Btw, is it not ironic how y'all are the only ones "calling" me out? No one else is defending y'all? Anyway, off topic.

And yes, there are certain traits that are viewed as feminine. Ask men who like/prefer blonde women or Asian women why they like them and they'll tell you they associate their features with femininity.

It's not just skin color, but nose, lips, cheekbones, wide eyes--all things women of all races can have, just in slightly different variations.

And yes, many American men do complain that American women are not feminine, so yes, there is more to femininity. But the OP is asking this for a reason. Because certain features are seen as feminine and plant them on a dude and the guy is seen as metro or effeminate

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,511,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
I have always been told I have a feminine face too much to present as male... I think mainly it's my lower half of my face. I have full lips like Naomi Campbell like the average well endowed black girl high cheekbones and a smaller nose like Angelina jolie of old but slimmer. I was was wondering what I could do to like make my features less prominent? I have watched yt videos on how to do my make up to look more like a dude. And some of it works but my cheekbones and lips and nose still give the idea of a girl. I have thick eyebrows and really small green eyes something similar to taylor swift or renee zellwegger. So I have some more masculine features but I dunno what to do with the rest of my face? Especially my lips how can one minimize the size of their lips?
You may find these articles of interest:

Do Women Prefer 'Manly' Faces?

Do You Love This Face? | DiscoverMagazine.com

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 PM

459 posts, read 509,793 times
Quote:
The study wasn't debunked, it was simply pulled out/taken down because it offended some.

I never once stated these are my ideals of beauty (aside from saying I think Gisele Bundchen is masculine and has a horseface).

Sure, beauty is subjective but to act as though there are no ideals of beauty is naive.

And while tan skin is cool in the west, everywhere else (including in the black American and Latin American communities) bleaching is VERY common.

But we're talking about the face, not body proportions.

But I find it odd that you didn't point out his/her/whatevers assertion that white women are more masculine. I guess people only pick out generalizations when they don't benefit When something said makes the minority of people feel better about themselves they ignore it I suppose.

I never said anything about white women until you eluded stuff about other races. This thread is not about race leave it alone.

Last edited by justawkward11; 07-14-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have been around the block enough to notice the trend in your previous posts, and your use of the term monkey lips, which everyone in this thread is well aware of when this is used as a euphemism. So yes, I think that would be a derogatory phrase. But I understand, from your point of view "black women" are always calling you out on your offensive posts so we must be insecure. I have some theories on where your issues stem from, but they are off topic for the thread.

I am well aware colorism is common through out the world, and it coincides pretty closely with places that were colonized. Colorism does play out differently in East Asian cultures, since skin tone is analogous to ruling class vs worker class. South Asian, Latin and the African diasporas have more in common with their reasoning behind colorism. But it is all related to conditioning in western societies.

We don't have a broad definition of femininity in the western world. Although this thread is about facial features, analyzing personality traits defined as femme would uncover similarities to the dynamic of colorism.
That's not true I don't agree with what he said either and I am not a black woman. I think anyone can see that what he said was unacceptable. If I would've known he does that normally I'd have ignored him.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Uh, first off the monkey lips thing was referring to big lips with bright lipstick, like the current orange trend. And a guy friend used that term. I don't have big lips, therefore I don't really care how big lips are perceived. But I notice a lot of girls who do wear bright lipstick (like orange since it is the trend now) apply it in a very sloppy way. It only make the lips look bigger.

And I have no issues, and you have no way of even analyzing where any issues would stem from if I did have any since I've already stated i'm not part white. Btw, is it not ironic how y'all are the only ones "calling" me out? No one else is defending y'all? Anyway, off topic.
That's offensive and pretty sure you know that. I highly doubt anyone said that besides you.

Actually I'm white and addressed your posts first because it was imo insensitive. So no it's not that anyone is insecure or is black and therefore complaining. You're just being insensitive. Anybody can see that.

Last edited by justawkward11; 07-14-2014 at 11:48 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
Long, skinny and unnatural looking, got it, thanks
no it's anything that dips down.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM

3,415 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Quote:
What features make a feminine face?
Usually a face that is on a woman is feminine. Its very very difficult to say what features make a feminine face, but its very easy to say what features make a woman's face look masculine.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 PM

188 posts, read 175,660 times
Quote:
no it's anything that dips down.
Well I couldn't tell that from the examples given

Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
Demi Moore has masculine features and still looks feminine.
So does Michelle Rodriguez,Jennifer Anniston, basically all fashion models,Giselle, Eva Mendes,
Ashwarya Rai,Maria Shriver.

In other words,masculine faces on females are "in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty