U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 02:05 PM

459 posts, read 510,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
There is no such thing as an ultrafeminine or ultramasculine face, because another ethnic group will always see it differently. To many Caucasians, Miranda Kerr is feminine because she has a rounder face with thick lips and a button nose. But an Asian might argue that she looks manly because her cheeks are not as full as Asians and they might think her nose is TOO BIG and prominent. A Middle Easterner might think her eyes are too narrow (a masculine trait). Someone else might think her button nose is more bulbous, too wide, and masculine looking. It all comes down to proportions and what the viewer is focusing on. What is considered "high cheekbones" to one ethnic group might not be high cheekbones at all to another ethnic group. I am white, but I grew up associating tanned Caucasian skin with the prettier girls and hence tan skin to me is more feminine.

Show me a photo of anyone, and I can guarantee you that I'll find a way to argue he/she is masculine or feminine if I wanted to. It all comes down to culture and what you grew up associating with male and female (most likely based on your own mother and father and thereafter the people you went to school with). People tend to be attracted to those who have at least one or two similar physical traits that remind them of their opposite sex parent (if you're heterosexual), but enough differing traits to up the exotic factor and avoid inbreeding. A white girl might be attracted to a black guy because, although he may appear very different at first, he might have the same nose shape, lip shape, and face shape as she or her father. Same theories apply to body types, if you focus more on bodies.

Compared to my mother, my father had a large, prominent nose in proportion to the rest of his face and that was the first thing I always noticed when I looked at him. So I am most attracted to men with large, bony noses but otherwise different coloring or different face shapes. You see what I'm getting at here?
Not true for me. I look exactly like my dad but I have fully lips and larger eyes than him and that's what I like in men. I also like white guys and I like the face shape to be more masculine. When I say masculine I mean the more sullen look longer face shape and with a square jaw. Now my dad is totally opposite to this description. My attraction to men tends to be what is want to be what I'd want to look like if I were a guy. This is why I prefer darker white guys. I'm attracted to basically people who look like me. This goes with body type too. I like broad shoulders slim build and narrow build everywhere except the shoulders. I have the same thing going with my build. I've never seen my dad's build as he died before I was born. I do find guys who are 5'11" attractive in a forbidden way. Because I'm supposed to like tall guys over 6'1". Which was his height. That's about it. I'm more centered on myself for what I find attractive than either of my parents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times
I've never been mistaken for a dude, but I guess with just the right haircut and no makeup anything is possible.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
There is no such thing as an ultrafeminine or ultramasculine face, because another ethnic group will always see it differently. To many Caucasians, Miranda Kerr is feminine because she has a rounder face with thick lips and a button nose. But an Asian might argue that she looks manly because her cheeks are not as full as Asians and they might think her nose is TOO BIG and prominent. A Middle Easterner might think her eyes are too narrow (a masculine trait). Someone else might think her button nose is more bulbous, too wide, and masculine looking. It all comes down to proportions and what the viewer is focusing on. What is considered "high cheekbones" to one ethnic group might not be high cheekbones at all to another ethnic group. I am white, but I grew up associating tanned Caucasian skin with the prettier girls and hence tan skin to me is more feminine.

Show me a photo of anyone, and I can guarantee you that I'll find a way to argue he/she is masculine or feminine if I wanted to. It all comes down to culture and what you grew up associating with male and female (most likely based on your own mother and father and thereafter the people you went to school with). People tend to be attracted to those who have at least one or two similar physical traits that remind them of their opposite sex parent (if you're heterosexual), but enough differing traits to up the exotic factor and avoid inbreeding. A white girl might be attracted to a black guy because, although he may appear very different at first, he might have the same nose shape, lip shape, and face shape as she or her father. Same theories apply to body types, if you focus more on bodies.

Compared to my mother, my father had a large, prominent nose in proportion to the rest of his face and that was the first thing I always noticed when I looked at him. So I am most attracted to men with large, bony noses but otherwise different coloring or different face shapes. You see what I'm getting at here?
Great post, and so true. I am 1/2 Indian and 1/2 Irish (yes, a bizarre combination), and I look very Indian. But I'm female, and I have more experience with that sex, so I'll throw in my $0.02 RE: that sex. Indians in general consider lighter skinned individuals to be more attractive, to the point that women have many skin lightening creams to make them look more pale. They don't want to be dark skinned. In contrast, just consider all these tanning beds we have in the US and how much time people spend in the sun frying their skin ON PURPOSE.

FWIW, I think physical beauty is very overrated. Brains are much more important. However, seeing someone is the way a person first experiences another, which is why there is such an emphasis on physical attractiveness, I suppose.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Bigger eyes
softer and more youthful skin
smaller nose
smaller neck
bigger lips
eyebrow shape and placement
longer eyelashes
straight or upturned nose.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 PM

21 posts, read 20,429 times
Skin color doesn't matter, however texture and tone does - ruddy reddish rough white skin is more masculine than smooth butter caramel skin.

-Big eyes
-Small nose
-Fuller lips
-Soft skin
-Long eyelashes
-Round/full face
-Neotenous features helps if the other traits aren't present

Ex.

^Very femme, could not pass for males if life depended on it.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:57 PM

944 posts, read 769,359 times
Jawline is important and can make someone look manly or not. Not sure, but I think Kylie Jenner reduced her jawline and she looks amazing now. Just need to calm down with the oversized lips.

When I think of someone who has very feminine features, I think of people like Kate Bosworth and Elisha Cuthbert (during her prime anyway). There are some women who have more manly features, but they are still pretty hot.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM

894 posts, read 798,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
Jawline is important and can make someone look manly or not. Not sure, but I think Kylie Jenner reduced her jawline and she looks amazing now. Just need to calm down with the oversized lips.

When I think of someone who has very feminine features, I think of people like Kate Bosworth and Elisha Cuthbert (during her prime anyway). There are some women who have more manly features, but they are still pretty hot.
I think she did as well along with a having chin implant put in. Kylie used to have a very square, masculine jaw and now her face shape is more oval and her jawline is tapered. I agree if she stopped with those stupid lip injections she would look great.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 PM

459 posts, read 510,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I think she did as well along with a having chin implant put in. Kylie used to have a very square, masculine jaw and now her face shape is more oval and her jawline is tapered. I agree if she stopped with those stupid lip injections she would look great.
Kylie just looks like kim. Their face shape seems to change depending on aging and weightloss.

And her lips aren't big...

Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Kylie just looks like kim. Their face shape seems to change depending on aging and weightloss.

And her lips aren't big...

Looks like she has been playing with fillers.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinharri...ust-a-year-ago

Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
whiskers are right out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty