U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 13,641 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a relatively young woman and am, for the first time, venturing out into the world of interviews and fancy parties that require me to dress like an adult. I need a new coat (to go with a suit, to wear over a dress to semi-formal or formal evening parties, etc.), and I had a question about coat-related fashion.

I am interested in a professional-looking wool coat that falls between the knee and the ankle, and I was wondering: can a camel-colored coat be worn in the evening, is it considered less formal than a black coat, and is there anything (i.e. certain colors) that should not be worn with a camel-colored coat? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:16 PM

290 posts, read 984,823 times
I think camel is a lovely color, and looks nice with most every other color that you could (or would) possibly wear to a professional work environment (grey, black, brown, white, cream, etc). That said, I think you should spring for 2 or 3 coats. Shop cheap (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Filene's Basement) and buy quality. I would personally not wear camel in the evening unless you're going somewhere casual like the movies or a pub, but should be great for work.

I would also think about getting a wool/cashmere blend in black that hits at the knee or just below the knee for evenings (you could also wear it to work if you wanted) because it will look much nicer with skirts and dresses.

If you decide to spring for a third coat, I'd wait and see which situations/outfits you're not happy with as far as the other two are concerned, and pick something functional that fills the gaps. I ended up with a beautiful cream colored cashmere coat that hits mid calf and I've gotten loads of compliments on it. PITA to keep it clean though!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,552,641 times
I agree... camel is a lovely neutral color, but I wouldn't wear one in the evening unless it was paired with jeans or casual attire in general.
I also think cream and black are stunning and versatile choices. I personally have a black knee length coat that can be dressed up or down and a red hip length pea coat that is my 'everyday' coat. The length is the tricky part when pairing with dresses. Sometimes it can look a bit odd if the dress is longer than the coat. IMHO I would consider what type(s) of outfit you will be wearing the most and if you can't afford more than one, then choose the length you will be able to pair w/the most outfits in either cream or black. Good luck and happy shopping!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
Maybe a shawl or wrap in the evenings??

Good choice as far as choosing camel. Good neutral color for day.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
I have had light colored coats in the past. My last coat purchase was black and I have to say, I have much preferred it. The black always looks good to me when I put it on. (And I'm not that much into "black" in general, but the black coat always looks good IMO.)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 13,641 times
Thanks so much for your tips! They'll definitely help me in my coat quest

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,514,355 times
Camel is a fine color for an every-day coat. You will need one black coat. The reason? Black goes with everything. Get a formal black coat, Elizabethan style is fine, buttons and all.

Camel is fine but the issue there is, how does it match the rest of your outfit? Black ALWAYS matches EVERYTHING. Camel... not so much. If you're going to wear a camel or a black'n'gray (those spottled kinds) coat, you really need to consider how it matches.

For all evening functions in the winter, you just need a good black coat. I wouldn't consider anything else. Explore your options in twenty years' time, when you're a senior manager.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,302,471 times
Take a look at the Nordstrom website, they have a great selection of coats. Here is a great Kenneth Cole coat that comes in black and is a classic style: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2939554/0~2376776~2374327~2374337~6002339?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002339&P=1 (broken link). If you don't want to spend that much, shop for the styles in the better stores and then shop for the price in places like Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Either black or navy would be your best bet.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:03 PM

34,539 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I disagree that camel does not go with everything..it does, it's neutral. However, if you are fairskinned be careful of camel. Sometimes on a light haired light skinned person it can really wash you out and make you blend into the wallpaper.
I agree you can't go wrong with black, except it shows every little piece of lint etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty