Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM

70 posts, read 135,538 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if something like this has been posted before, but I've always been curious...As much as I despise the 1-10 scale many people use to rate a person's looks, I've wondered exactly what constitutes the corresponding number. For example, what makes person A a 1, or person B a 6? I would like if you guys could assign a famous person for each number on the scale, just so I can see what people find most and least attractive. Not meant to provoke any harsh feelings, I'm just curious because I always hear about 8's and 10's but never hear anyone described as a 1 or 2. Make your list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I don't rate 1-10. Basically my scale is:

Not my type
Attractive, Not my type
Attractive
Really Attractive

Attractive comes in two variations: cute which means boyish, and handsome which means the opposite of boyish.

1, 10, I have no idea what the gradations are.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
1-10 always seemed drastic to me.

If I was asked to rate someone, it would be 1-4

1. Below Average / Unattractive
2. Average / Decent
3. Cute / Attractive
4. Perfect/Handsome/Gorgeous

But, a more personal rating jade408's works. And without giving much thought I have used that.

Not my type -
Not attracted in any way. Looks aren't great, and neither is personality.

Attractive, Not my type
The guy can be handsome, I give credit where it's due, but I may hate his personality. Like one guy whom I stated was cute, but he starts talking, and it ruins it lol Or a friendzone thing. He's not bad, and has cute qualities, but not for a boyfriend. That would be like the guy my brother's fiance tried to set me up with.

Attractive
I have a wide range of attractive. Some guys I have find unattractive at first, but they had something in their personality that reeled me in. Then looks fell into place later. And some where looks were the 1st thing I notice, then it's made better by a personality I am attracted to as well. Such as my current infatuation, and quite a few others. And physically, my crushes have been all over the place lol So for me, attractive and my type is personality, and I say because again, some guys I thought were ugly at first. But thing is, after developing a liking for their personality, even their looks got sexier, and I just liked seeing them, to me, they became big eye candy.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:36 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BeautifulDisaster- View Post
Forgive me if something like this has been posted before, but I've always been curious...As much as I despise the 1-10 scale many people use to rate a person's looks, I've wondered exactly what constitutes the corresponding number. For example, what makes person A a 1, or person B a 6? I would like if you guys could assign a famous person for each number on the scale, just so I can see what people find most and least attractive. Not meant to provoke any harsh feelings, I'm just curious because I always hear about 8's and 10's but never hear anyone described as a 1 or 2. Make your list!
Looks are something that is totally and completely subjective. Not only can someone I would call a 9 or 10 be considered a 4 or 5 by another person, but that 9/10 could have a bunch of photos online where they appear as 4/5.

For example, Kim Kardashian is someone who a few years back was a 9.9 (10 is almost impossible) because she had it ALL - beautiful face, flawless skin, best hair ever, incredible natural body shape, but then baby came in a ruined everything. That, and look at how many women here on CD call her a "fat disgusting pig".

The examples above by our fellow CDrs are pretty good and actually more like what people think of someone elses looks.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

For example, Kim Kardashian is someone who a few years back was a 9.9 (10 is almost impossible) because she had it ALL - beautiful face, flawless skin, best hair ever, incredible natural body shape, but then baby came in a ruined everything. That, and look at how many women here on CD call her a "fat disgusting pig".
You totally don't really understand women's ratings of other people. But I can clue you in on why Kim Kardashian tends to be perceived differently by men and women (there are other differences that follow class and ethnicity too as well but I won't get into them). And why some people think KK is "fat and disgusting."

1. Women (generally speaking) take personality/character/attitude in account when judging other ladies looks. KK is probably the poster child for shallow consumerist culture. And for many people that is a deal breaker.
2. KK is proportionally a little unbalanced (her butt is bigger than the rest of her) generally speaking, most women don't really like having a "big butt." And typically standards of beauty for women talk a lot about smaller hips and making your butt appear smaller. Proportions matter, more women prefer Kelly LeBrock, Selma Hayek, Scarlett Johanssen or Sofia Vergara for this reason.
3. Being curvy (particularly with exaggerated curves: big breasts, wide hips, big butt) isn't considered a "classy" body shape, particularly for mainstream (read this as white) upper class America. And for particularly exaggerated curves, it is considered slutty (which is clearly minus a few points), especially when you rise to fame with a sex tape.
4. There are many people that consider features like big breasts os a big butt as automatic markers of "fat."
5. Related to number 3, being curvy the way Kim Kardashian is makes clothing shopping extremely difficult, particularly if you are looking for more polished or elegant styles. Generally women give other women bonus points for dressing classy/polished. On a typical outfit day, KK's clothing looks like video vixen, night club, or Las Vegas show, which is a look that most women don't particularly appreciate.
6. KK comes across as an airhead, which for women is also minus a few points (clearly she's not, as she has turned her 15 minutes into a decade and empire).
7. I am sure there are plenty of other people who give her minus points (and trashy points) since she mostly dates black men. Mostly athletes and rappers (and go back and think about what I said earlier about classiness). And men in the "entertainment industry," particularly black ones, generally do not get to be considered classy or high status.

So if you have a curvy woman, with an exaggerated shape, that doesn't espouse WASP-y elegance, the odds of being ranked consistently, by all audiences, highly on the attractive scale are pretty low. Particularly in mainstream middle/upper middle class America.

Feel free to look at women like Coco (Ice-T's wife), Buffie the Bodie, and Karrine Steffans as other women who fall into this category.*

But in your book, KK has a "hot body"/"pretty face" so that's automatic 9 status. For ladies it is more nuanced. And "hot body" doesn't rank particularly highly for perceived attractiveness by women. Personality/attitude/style shape the ratings as well.

*My mom's opinion on KK is "she's pretty, but why is her butt so big!" And my mom is pear shaped as well, she likes women to be more evenly proportioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty