U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM

403 posts, read 406,706 times

Advertisements

I've noticed quite frequently that there are more frequently women who get regarded as hot than guys, but women seem to notice the guys who they regard as hot more than guys that notice hot women. The standards seem to be set to where a few of the main guys who they regard as attractive are Channing Tatum, Henry Cavill, David Beckham, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Alexander Sarsgard and David Schwimmer, but there seems to be fewer of them. Whenever a women seems to notice them, they become more obsessed than how a guy becomes obsessed over hot females as well. Does society tend to regard more women as attractive than men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,999,787 times
Yes, that's why we have ads on female beauty. I really don't mind this and I hope that it's usually females seen as a sign of beauty. Seeing them, as a guy, won't put pressure on me to look like them. Whereas, if it were men, I'd envy them and be pressurized into looking like them. I do feel bad for some women who are stigmatized for not looking like that 'model', don't got me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
The standards seem to be set to where a few of the main guys who they regard as attractive are Channing Tatum, Henry Cavill, David Beckham, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Alexander Sarsgard and David Schwimmer?
Funny, I'm not attracted to any of these guys.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
What I notice the most is the complete lack of comments on good looking guys facebook pictures saying so. You might find one or two. Then you go to even a slightly above average woman's pictures and it's all "omg you are so gorgeous!". I don't get it, it's like it's not as socially okay to tell a guy he's good looking.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,545,566 times
It's simple, men run the world, bro.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM

549 posts, read 407,621 times
Women have more tools at their disposal though...it's easier to go from average to slightly above average, in even 5 minutes (light makeup). Men, not so much. Even though we as a society are more open minded than previously, there is still a stigma against men who obviously spend time on their appearance- "metros", "feminine", "pretty boys" etc. We're just used to women being the "fairer" sex, while men are supposed to be tough and unconcerned with their own looks. perhaps because of this men who are apparently "naturally" very handsome (Henry Cavill types) will garner extensive and vocal praise and adoration from women. I don't know, those types of men are not my type.

[I'm all about lumberjacks getting sweaty in flannel and growing sexy beards and not giving a fug about unibrows. Men who wax are especially unappealing, I'm not sure why, but I wouldn't even do that. No beauty is worth that much pain!! Easy going, don't-care-about-the-latest-fad kind of guys are the real deal..]

Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,999,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
What I notice the most is the complete lack of comments on good looking guys facebook pictures saying so. You might find one or two. Then you go to even a slightly above average woman's pictures and it's all "omg you are so gorgeous!". I don't get it, it's like it's not as socially okay to tell a guy he's good looking.
This cannot be anymore truer!

I notice this a lot on Facebook photos. Women, no matter how attractive or plain they look, are entitled to get comments like "beautiful", "so pretty" and such (I'm sure half of the people writing stuff like that don't mean it). But yet a man would get comments like "where is that place", "nice background", etc.

But then again I totally understand the comments. If a woman were to compliment a guy it's like she wants him or she's putting herself 'down' for him, or maybe she has a partner herself (that's why, I believe, we also rarely see a complimentary comment from women to men). And obviously a guy would not compliment another guy because, sadly, some idiots would question his sexuality.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:21 PM

403 posts, read 406,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
This cannot be anymore truer!

I notice this a lot on Facebook photos. Women, no matter how attractive or plain they look, are entitled to get comments like "beautiful", "so pretty" and such (I'm sure half of the people writing stuff like that don't mean it). But yet a man would get comments like "where is that place", "nice background", etc.

But then again I totally understand the comments. If a woman were to compliment a guy it's like she wants him or she's putting herself 'down' for him, or maybe she has a partner herself (that's why, I believe, we also rarely see a complimentary comment from women to men). And obviously a guy would not compliment another guy because, sadly, some idiots would question his sexuality.
A lot of times the guy gets commented on their shirt. I like it when woman are upfront with what they think about a guy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty