U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

Honestly, if I worked for some discount hair cutter place, I couldn't care less about you or whatever you want to talk about, and you wouldn't care about me either. I figure those places don't keep stylists very long, they're usually a stepping stone for hairstylists, and the customers have no loyalty either.
I've gone to the same persn for years and she lives in the same community as I do, so we know people in common and exchange the latest news, juice and gossip whenever I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I would like to find a friendly hairstylist who will talk to me about both my hair and other topics. Though to save money, I have been going to discount salons and the people who cut my hair have all the charm and personality of a funeral director. I get good cuts sometimes but get frustrated sitting there in silence for 30 minutes. It make me ill at ease.

Do you expect or want conversation from your hairstylist?
Different strokes for different folks... I had to give up a good one because I just couldn't stand his yapping.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,882,521 times
Complete silence would make me uncomfortable..as a stylist, I let the client set the tone by asking basic questions to find out the amount of work they want to put into their hair,etc. If they keep talking, so will I. If they don't then I will just direct the conversation to their hair. I hate going to the "cheaper" nail salons and not have the manicurist talk to me at all except the length that I want but chatter to the whole shop in her native language and theirs. Does this bug anyone else? I just can't see spending ten dollars more at a more upscale salon for the same quality.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,338 times
I feel bad if i can not see the lady who useally cuts my hair, however due to my husabnds work schedual i can not allways see her.As for talking either way is fine to me as long as I get a good cut.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 AM

1,911 posts, read 8,099,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I would like to find a friendly hairstylist who will talk to me about both my hair and other topics. Though to save money, I have been going to discount salons and the people who cut my hair have all the charm and personality of a funeral director. I get good cuts sometimes but get frustrated sitting there in silence for 30 minutes. It make me ill at ease.

Do you expect or want conversation from your hairstylist?

As a former hairstylist, I will say that most of the discount salons are usually former students fresh out of cosmo school.
They most likely haven't perfected the art of verbal communication.
Usually with scissor confidence comes a more talkative stylist.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
I just recently switched hairstylists. The former one was very good with hair, cutting and highlights. She was too quiet, hard edged, studs and tattoos, spiked hair, etc. We had nothing in common! But stayed with her because she did a good job. Then she went out of town, and I needed someone for a cut. And found a very nice older woman, she does a good job with cutting and styling. Have a followup for highlights (eeek, just don't know). But we have alot in common, same politics, she is a good resource for the area, etc. So will see how she does with her color skills. She talks just the right amount, not too much or too little!!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:17 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
I agree with KayKay, that it's a bit awkward to sit in silence, especially during my LONG appointments! But if the conversation is forced, that's no good either, so I guess it depends on the hairdresser's personality. Right now my stylist is a friend of mine, who's a super flamboyant gay man & a total riot... we yakked through my last appointment, mostly gossiping about "America's Next Top Model" & "Project Runway" (reality shows). Of course their skills are most important, but it's great to find a hairdresser who's both good AND friendly.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I hate going to the "cheaper" nail salons and not have the manicurist talk to me at all except the length that I want but chatter to the whole shop in her native language and theirs. Does this bug anyone else? I just can't see spending ten dollars more at a more upscale salon for the same quality.
I'd say 95% of the salons here (San Francisco) are Asian-run, so it's expected that you'll sit and listen to them chatting in Vietnamese - LOL. When it comes to my nails, I'm much happier spending $8 without conversation, than $30 at an "upscale salon"... unless I'm getting a full head-to-toe or something, and then I might pay extra for the ambiance.

Did you see that Seinfeld episode, where Elaine brought George's dad (who speaks Vietnamese) to the nail shop to translate? Turned out they were calling her "crazy white lady," and not "princess" like they had claimed.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
Speaking of asian salons....I go for my nails. But many times they are harsh and hurt my cuticles, so was looking for someone else. Found a nice caucasian woman, actually two of them, and neither is any good. So went back to my asian salon, and just tell them now when they are hurting me. But they are the best!!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:45 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Complete silence would make me uncomfortable..as a stylist, I let the client set the tone by asking basic questions to find out the amount of work they want to put into their hair,etc. If they keep talking, so will I. If they don't then I will just direct the conversation to their hair. I hate going to the "cheaper" nail salons and not have the manicurist talk to me at all except the length that I want but chatter to the whole shop in her native language and theirs. Does this bug anyone else? I just can't see spending ten dollars more at a more upscale salon for the same quality.
Yes, it bothers me for someone to speak another language to coworkers or talking on the phone when doing my pedicure.
Also I went into a mall last week and had a chair massage by this Chinese guy. He was good but his mouth and yakking to another coworker was crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty