Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times

Advertisements

This happened to a couple of women at work when the director - a female who is NOT gay - suggested that a haircut would make them look more professional. One got hers trimmed and the other one, who had long hair, simply swirled hers into a bun. My hair was REALLY long, to my butt, and she never said anything to me. Nor would I have obliged. She had the sense to realize that anyone with hair that long was not going to, therefore she knew who she could pick on.

Unless asked for an opinion, I think it's intrusive and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
DO NOT cut your hair. The first thing that comes to mind of a woman with short hair is Lesbian. Yuck.

The next think is bald.

It doesn't look feminine.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
DO NOT cut your hair. The first thing that comes to mind of a woman with short hair is Lesbian. Yuck.

The next think is bald.

It doesn't look feminine.
Oh yes, definitely. The minute I see a woman with short hair - I immediately assume she is a lesbian or bald. Duh.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Women these days take offense to anything that requires them to change for the better. They take any suggestion as a sexist remark.

If you tell them it's better to ride a bike in tight pants instead of a skirt. That suddenly became a sexist remark when it's just practical thing to do.

Try to promote equality is why women won't get ahead because they keep thinking that men are trying to hold them back when they are the ones holding themselves back.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Women these days take offense to anything that requires them to change for the better. They take any suggestion as a sexist remark.

If you tell them it's better to ride a bike in tight pants instead of a skirt. That suddenly became a sexist remark when it's just practical thing to do.

Try to promote equality is why women won't get ahead because they keep thinking that men are trying to hold them back when they are the ones holding themselves back.
I'm a chick and I totally agree!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Actually, you get better airflow in the skirt.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
While my hair has never been as long as the OPs, I've certainly noticed that in general, very long hair on women is viewed as unprofessional. And I've certainly been treated with more professional respect when I've had shorter hair or have worn my hair up.

Sometimes, you can get away with long hair if you wear it up in a french twist or chignon. Mine is on the longer side currently - maybe an inch or two past my shoulders -- and I wear it up every single day.

Note that by shorter hair, I'm referring to anything chin length or shorter. Think the typical hairdo you see on female politicians and TV news achorwomen. Variations on bobs and pageboys.

I suspect the fact that very long hair is associated with younger women may have something to do with this. It can be hard to command respect and convey gravitas when you're seen as "the young kid over in finance".

This reminds me a bit of the movie "Working Girl", where Melanie Griffith's character, a working class secretary, chops off her very long hair when she masquerades as a wall street executive. You can see the before and after, here. (Her character also had a pretty major wardrobe change to help the masquerade.)

As her friend is cutting off her hair, Melanie's character explains "If you want to be taken seriously in this business, you've got to have serious hair."

Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
There is an old principal in business that never fails to be proven correct over time.

Always dress, style hair and appearance, to be 2 levels above you. You will be the one noticed, and will be the one that is promoted when the time comes. You will look, like you are the one that should have the position. When a boss takes you aside and tries to tell you how to make some changes, that make you look professional they are doing it for a reason. They like you, but you don't look the part for any future advancement. Then it is up to you, to get a more professional look, or forget ever get promoted, better assignments, etc.

When on poster above said that there were two girls that were told to cut their hair and they did, but they never told her to cut or put up her but length hair as they knew they did not dare say anything to her. Did she ever stop to think, the boss was trying to help two girls get a better future with the company, but did not consider her to ever get an advancement, and did not even try to get her with the program. Her long hair, manner of dress or whatever was O.K. for her present employment and no need to make any change as she was going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty