Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I love pink, but I don't pay extra for pink things. I don't own any pink tools, pink kitchen appliances, pink guns, etc. I do own pink clothing.
Awesome! Lovely that we can do pink anything with pink craft paint from Michael's. My main issue, sadly, has been people stealing my things. I know girls who wouldn't be caught with pink anything, too, but everyone around me knows if it's purchased pink, painted pink, stenciled pink, glittered pink, stickered pink... it's mine. I don't even need to redesign the whole item... just a few pink swirls/flowers, Hello Kitty stickers or pink stripes & most I know shun it like it's a 1970s Holly Hobby puffy-sleeved blouse with a tie in the back. As far as I'm concerned, yea pink! It's saved my 'stuff' from walking off into the netherworld, never to be seen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There seems to be an explosion of all manly things in pink. I see hammers with pink handles and of course carry guns in pink. So my question is if this marketing scheme really works on women.
They arent only pink, but they are also generally sized a bit more to the average female hand. A pink gun sounds stupid, unless a portion of the sales go to Breast Cancer Awareness, or something...ijs.

I think the pink tools started back during or shortly after the period of the Women's Liberation Movement. In those days, the man of the house did not want any females using his tools. Lmao! Idk if you guys are still like that but yeah - that's how the whole pink thing started in tools, and matching tool cases and belts.

Im not sure most women would prefer pink, other than no denying - that's HER hammer.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
No - I absolutely hate pink and hate that it seems to be the only thing available for little girls - so they're indoctrinated to like it. WTH does something need to be pink for me to accept it?! Seriously, a pink hammer? A pink gun? Give me a break - the whole "shrink it and pink it" direction in marketing to women is totally demeaning and I won't buy into it - literally.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Wow! those are great! I might need me a couple of them.

The little plastic purse guns (I forget who makes them) come in a nice raspberry color. Bad reviews, though, when it comes to shooting.
Ha - don't you know how well it actually works is beside the point?! It's supposed to be a cute accessory...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
No. I want the same exact toys and tools that the boys get to play with.
Exactly! I refuse the "shrink it, pink it" marketing ploy and to add insult to injury they usually charge women double for a crappy product - no thank you.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
There seems to be an explosion of all manly things in pink. I see hammers with pink handles and of course carry guns in pink. So my question is if this marketing scheme really works on women.
Wait. Tools are "manly"?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (breath) hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh, gosh. The things you read on the internet.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times
Quote:
Okay, yes, I like them... but I'm afraid I won't be taken seriously if I owned one... and wonder if the quality is as good... but I do like pink.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. Tools are "manly"?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (breath) hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh, gosh. The things you read on the internet.
I knew I would get your attention! There is no mistaking my tools vs. my wife's. No pink needed. Hers look like she picked them up at ACME.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I pretty much don't buy anything pink anymore because of the breast cancer connection. Pinknausea in October for breast cancer awareness rubs me the wrong way - especially when half of the pink items are carcinogens themselves! Most of the time, the pink items are going back to the Susan G. Komen Foundation and I'd rather give to local organizations.

And I've always been more of a purple or lavender fan, which coincidentally is my cancer's awareness ribbon color.
I totally agree with you on this one. As a breast cancer survivor, I am offended, and feel used when I see a product with a pink ribbon on it. At the very least a company should have to disclose how much money is being donated from sales of a pink product.

I don't mean to make the OPs post about BC, so I will add that when I need to nail something, I don't care what color the hammer is, I only care if my hammer is in the drawer and nobody has used it and not put it back.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I totally agree with you on this one. As a breast cancer survivor, I am offended, and feel used when I see a product with a pink ribbon on it. At the very least a company should have to disclose how much money is being donated from sales of a pink product.

I don't mean to make the OPs post about BC, so I will add that when I need to nail something, I don't care what color the hammer is, I only care if my hammer is in the drawer and nobody has used it and not put it back.
Not to veer even more off-course, but most products where "a portion is given back to X foundation/charity" do not work like that. Cause marketing works because a nonprofit essentially sells the rights to use their logo to a company. The company then stamps the logo on their yogurt, mixers, or even hammers and people are more likely to choose that product thinking they are giving back. In fact, it doesn't matter how many of the charity labeled product is bought - the fee is a flat fee up front.

If you like pink and want the pink hammer, get it. If you're getting it because it claims to give back to breast cancer, instead open your wallet and make a donation directly to a local hospital, nonprofit, or well-regarded national organization (not Susan G. Komen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty