Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times

Advertisements

I've posted in other forums about riding a bike, but I thought it was time for a fashion post. The thing is, the only reason I started riding a bike again was because of "fashion."

Yup, I know that sounds completely illogical. I was pondering getting a bike, for biking around town and stuff for years! But I didn't want to look like one of those hipster bike girls. You know who I am talking about: pink leggings under her skirt or rolled up jeans and converse! Or you know, look like a cyclist.

One day I was waiting for my doctors appointment, and this book was on the table, so I was flipping through in awe of people looking "normal" on their bike. Carrying umbrellas and suitcases. And mostly wearing "normal" clothing (just read this as non-workout gear).

Here are the types of pics that inspired me to take up biking:
http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/2...g-to-work.html
A #BikeNYC Portrait by Dmitry Gudkov | George Hahn
Celebrity Bike Style: Famke Janssen | Eleanor's | Stylish Bicycle Accessories for Ladies
Celebrity Bike Style: Rosario Dawson | Eleanor's | Stylish Bicycle Accessories for Ladies
Our Girl Monday: Taylor Swift | Eleanor's | Stylish Bicycle Accessories for Ladies
Inspiration: Catherine Baba & Her Bicycle (She is like a hardcore fashion victim)

And months later I got a bike (or the universe fated me to get one!). And sure enough now, I mostly wear what's normal clothing for me: skirts and dresses. Unless I am going to the gym, then I'll put on some workout pants and a hoodie. Most of the time it is a skirt or a dress. I've rode in boots, wedges and dressy flats!

A few lessons: pencil skirts unless they are a little below the knee, stretchy, and have a slit, are horrible for riding a bike in. Most a-line or flared skirts and dresses are a breeze (unless there is too much breeze and the fabric is super light). A bike is a great way to go to the bar!* Parking is super easy, and you don't need as long to sober up enough to ride home. Oh and you get to burn some of the beverage calories on the way there and back.

So my question is, what do you wear to ride your bike. (And this is specifically on the fashion angle, not the bike angle!)

*Before any of you wonder about biking while drunk, for me having 2 drinks in an evening is big night out, most of the time I stop at one. "Sobering up" is a matter of waiting an hour or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Anything that moves and is comfortable.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM

23,449 posts, read 13,685,723 times
Summer: tee, bike shorts, wind shorts, socks, nikes, helmet, gloves, lots of bandanas.

Winter if it's COLD? That and additional like hot pink running tights, bright hoodie, black leg warmers, mittens for the gloves.

The thing is that hot pink is high visibility and dressed like that, I'm not likely to be lost in the traffic picture. Never let it be said, "I didn't see her".

Old 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,276,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Summer: tee, bike shorts, wind shorts, socks, nikes, helmet, gloves, lots of bandanas.

Winter if it's COLD? That and additional like hot pink running tights, bright hoodie, black leg warmers, mittens for the gloves.

The thing is that hot pink is high visibility and dressed like that, I'm not likely to be lost in the traffic picture. Never let it be said, "I didn't see her".
Yes, very similar to this. Weather conditions are the biggest determining factor of what I wear. End of summer I am looking to pick up clothing pieces on sale for next summer; same with end of fall/winter sales.

We have a lot of nice trails around where I live so I personally wouldn't wear casual wear(skirts or dresses) because one can always take a spill and I wouldn't want any "nether" regions on display.

Stretchy, soft Descente Bliss fabric wicks moisture, dries fast and offers sun protection

Descente Bliss Splice Bike Shorts - Women's - 2014 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com

Pearl Izumi Rev Bike Jersey

Pearl Izumi Rev Bike Jersey - Women's - 2012 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,635,880 times
Depends on where I am riding. Around town, whatever I am wearing. I rode my bike Saturday to the ice cream place. I had on rolled up jeans, a white tee and tieks ballet flats (love them). Occasionally the SO decides we should go mountain biking instead of our normal weekend hike. Then I wear real sneakers, breathable cargo shorts and tee. I wouldnt be caught dead in bike shorts.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,958,792 times
Anything and everything .

I avoid hot pink, but tights under a skirt are very practical in the winter!

If you like full skirts, a 'boys' frame is best. The crossbar keeps your skirt out of the chain.

If you like narrow skirts, a 'girls' or mixte frame will work better.

Tuck wide-leg pants into your socks, or get clips. Narrow pants, you can fold them up to avoid oil, or just leave them alone.

A hat with a long brim or bill keeps the rain out of your eyes. A scarf keeps your neck warm. Those polarfleece earbands are excellent, too.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
I don't ride in winter.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Anything and everything .

I avoid hot pink, but tights under a skirt are very practical in the winter!

If you like full skirts, a 'boys' frame is best. The crossbar keeps your skirt out of the chain.

If you like narrow skirts, a 'girls' or mixte frame will work better.

Tuck wide-leg pants into your socks, or get clips. Narrow pants, you can fold them up to avoid oil, or just leave them alone.

A hat with a long brim or bill keeps the rain out of your eyes. A scarf keeps your neck warm. Those polarfleece earbands are excellent, too.
I've got a girls frame, partial chain guard and fenders. Loads of outfit choices for me!

I don't typically wear skirts much past my knee, so I don't usually worry about it getting near the chain.

I do wear tights in the winter, but it isn't all that cold where I live! I go for patterned tights. But leggings? Not for me. That's a different sort of look!

That's an old pic of my bike. Some loser tried to steal my crate and broke it. Now I have a basket.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike style: what do you wear when riding a bike?-bike-saddle.png  

Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 PM

102,076 posts, read 106,933,722 times
Jeans or shorts.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
I wear whatever I'm already wearing for the day. Usually that's jeans or shorts and flip flops. I always wear my bike helmet, which I covered with fabric that matches the basket liner I made.

I wouldn't ride in heels because when you ride, it's not "if" you're going to fall, it's "when" and I don't want to get my shoe caught up in the bike if I fall.

The last site you linked to with the woman wearing the long jackets and capes, she has a skirt guard on her bike. It looks like it's clear plastic, but you can see it in some of the pictures. That would make wearing things like that on a bike a little more possible. I still wouldn't do it though, I wouldn't want all that fabric catching the wind and slowing me down.

It's pretty hot where I live...sometimes after I ride a few miles, I can literally wring the sweat out of my shirt. So it's difficult to imagine actually commuting on my bike and being anything near presentable when I arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty