Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Then get out of it, before I have to start reporting. It's a perfectly valid to wonder why few non-ethnic young white American women have medium or dark brown hair, on American TV and in some places off TV. (I get sick of all the backlash given when presenting an odd but legitimate argument. Too many close-minded, mean-spirited people.)

Katharine McPhee is, with dark eye color factored in, the best example of that rare type that I've been able to find. Kendall Jenner, who looks somewhat like her, is another example.

I don't watch soap operas. If someone wants to cite some brown-haired examples that meet my criteria, please do. Local TV news is a bit of stretch, except for big markets.

I thank the few people who have put much thought into their replies. By the way, for anyone trying to find ugly motives, between blonde and brown hair I have no preference, though I dislike fake-looking dyed hair. And, as implied by the comment about Jews-aren't-white "racists," nothing against Jews (idiots should shut up).
Why would anyone waste any more time coming up with examples for you when they most certainly won't be "white enough" to meet your stringent criteria?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Then they ought to concede my argument is strong. (And Europeans aren't white?)

Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
What's the point? Why does any of this matter to you so much? You're talking about actress hair color like it's some sort of conspiracy.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What we're seeing here is "I have a theory, and I'M RIGHT! And I'm going to declare all these people you're listing as ineligible, because that would mean I'm wrong, and I'm not willing to admit that."

Ridiculous thread.
Pretty much. Despite all the proof to the contrary, OP continues with his/her inaccurate tirade.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What's the point? Why does any of this matter to you so much? You're talking about actress hair color like it's some sort of conspiracy.
General dislike of dyed hair, I guess, along with intellectual curiosity. Based on the lack of medium-to-dark-haired/brown-eyed non-ethnic white young American women in the American media, there does seem to be almost a conspiracy. I'd love to figure it out.

By the way, everyone, I didn't mean to move the goalposts. Look closely at the first post. It gave no examples of ethnic women or foreigners. I should have said "non-ethnic" or something in that post.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
If white women with brunette hair feel they're underrepresented one must wonder how colored girls must feel, huh?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Okay, but there have been threads about that (and discussions in the media).

Another brown-haired example - Alexis Bledel (nominally Argentinian/Mexican ancestry, but seemingly non-Latin regardless.) Of course she's basically gone from TV, which seems to have limited slots for young women like that.

It could actually be an important social issue if there's widespread social pressure on relatively fair-skinned young white women to be blondes.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
People, I'm only talking about young American women (European women tend to be typecast as serious, by the way), and it's certainly possible I haven't heard of many of the younger ones. Maybe among the younger women, the blondes tend to be more talked-about. Jewish women and Mediterranean women (which Ariel Winter will be in a few years) usually look unnatural with blonde hair -> I'm implying many of the young women on TV feel pressured to go blonde. There are other possibilities, such as brunette roles increasingly being reserved for ethnic types.
I am Jewish woman, Russian/Estonian Jewish to be specific. I am NATURALLY blonde with blue eyes as are three of my four first cousins. My father was dirty blonde/light brown with blue eyes, so was my grandmother.

Many, many Ashkenazi Jews are fair in coloring since most of us are of Northern European/Russian backgrounds.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
The poster asked about white girls. Jews are from a different ethnic group/race that whites. That's why you can spot jews based on looks (common physical traits). It is a religion but also an ethnic group/race.
Jewish is a religion, and most certainly is NOT a race. Asheknazi Russian/Lithuanian/Estonian Jews frequently are fair, Sephardic Jews tend to be less so, Ethopian Jews are usually black.

Among all Ashkenazim, natural blondes are nearly 20% of the population. In the US, among European Whites, it is about 28%. Not particularly different.

Blond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Then they ought to concede my argument is strong. (And Europeans aren't white?)
No, you're argument is not strong. There have been plenty of posts that prove you wrong. For some reason you want to dismiss every example given as not white enough, not old enough, etc... Its like you are wanting posters to name a natural dark hair/pale skin/brown eye woman between the ages of 18-30 who's ancestors on both sides fought in the American Revolutionary War (as a colonist of course).

Lets take Lea Michele as an example since you don't believe she fits in this category. She is a dark haired, white, American woman. She even has brown eyes (because white woman with light colored eyes don't count for some reason). She was born in the US and raised Catholic. Her mother is Italian (born in America) and her Father's family is from Spain and Turkey. So I'll let you answer your own question, are Europeans not white?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty