Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't really mean the items. I mean the upkeep of them. Like if you have resources and your stuff wears out you get new stuff. Because you don't want to be seen with worn out stuff. Or maybe more accurately I think everyone, if they can afford to do so, replaces stuff when it is falling apart. And I'd assume people with more resources are even more likely than everyone else.
While I understand what you are talking about with her being dressed nice and carrying a nice purse and then ratty shoes, don't we all own something ratty that we just can't part with?

Well, I know I do. I guess maybe we all don't...who knows!

I am 40 and I have a ratty old Old Navy thermal shirt that my sister gave to my ex husband for Christmas when I was 17. He couldn't wear it so I took it and I have been wearing it ever since. The thing is full of holes by now.

Granted I do not go in public with it on. Well, I have worn it under a hoodie in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Otoh, life happens. It is entirely possible she had shoes on that went with the look and the straps broke and she just happened to have the beat up ones in her car.
I had this happen before. I was actually at the Opera, and I had to go back to my car to see if I had any other shoes in there. And it wasn't just my strap that broke, the whole shoe just completely fell apart. I hadn't worn the shoes in a long time, and had dug them out from the bottom of my closet. They initially looked to be in great condition when I put them off, but when I stepped in something sticky the whole sole of the shoe separated, and with it the straps all came apart. I was so embarrassed. I'm sure I was judged by people as I hobbled back to the parking lot in my broken shoe. And then when I got to my car all I had was an old pair of flip flops. They were at least all black, so they didn't look.. horrible... but they didn't go with how dressed up I was. So I'm sure even more people were judging me and thinking "flip flops to the opera?"

Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I have worn shoes from the food pantry until they had holes in them. Toms actually. I finally got a pair and i was going to wear those suckers out! People could say whatever they wanted about them but i was proud of them.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
While I understand what you are talking about with her being dressed nice and carrying a nice purse and then ratty shoes, don't we all own something ratty that we just can't part with?

Well, I know I do. I guess maybe we all don't...who knows!

I am 40 and I have a ratty old Old Navy thermal shirt that my sister gave to my ex husband for Christmas when I was 17. He couldn't wear it so I took it and I have been wearing it ever since. The thing is full of holes by now.

Granted I do not go in public with it on. Well, I have worn it under a hoodie in public.
One of my favorite pairs of shoes got too ratty to wear anymore. I was so crushed! I trashed them.

I wish I would have gotten 2 pairs!

I usually get rid of the shoes that can no longer be repaired. I am way more likely to trash ratty shoes than any other article. You definitely do not want an inopportune hole in your shoe in SF. Particularly when many places on the sidewalk smell like urine. I don't even like to wear flip flops in SF. Not practical. There are too many puddles of unknown origin. Especially when you find one in the summer. And rainy season ends in a good year in April. This year we had pretty much no rain, and the middle of the city doesn't have sprinklers! I don't want to know what is in that puddle.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
One of my favorite pairs of shoes got too ratty to wear anymore. I was so crushed! I trashed them.

I wish I would have gotten 2 pairs!

I usually get rid of the shoes that can no longer be repaired. I am way more likely to trash ratty shoes than any other article. You definitely do not want an inopportune hole in your shoe in SF. Particularly when many places on the sidewalk smell like urine. I don't even like to wear flip flops in SF. Not practical. There are too many puddles of unknown origin. Especially when you find one in the summer. And rainy season ends in a good year in April. This year we had pretty much no rain, and the middle of the city doesn't have sprinklers! I don't want to know what is in that puddle.
Eww, lol.

It is a flip flop world out here where I live. I just look forward to the fall when I will start wearing my Harley Davidson boots! They look worn but they are not in ill repair!!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I trash shoes that are falling apart. I assume most other people do as well. I am assuming said woman could afford shoes in decent repair based on her purse. Especially since she was otherwise dressed up and "took care" in her appearance.

It is kinda like someone taking the time to iron their interview suit, put on makeup and then wear cheap rubber flip flops to the interview. It seems out of place.
As you post - assumptions. Are you 100% put together all the time? I was out and about Saturday in a $9 WalMart dress, some fake looking thing on my wrist not to mention the guy with the appropriate car key. I could not get through my hair with brush or comb without being late to visit a patient in a hospital. That makes me a slob.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM

It seems like I have a very different perspective than other posters here. I personally find huge differences in the way I am treated based on how "put together" I am (particularly out shopping). It can literally be the difference between having helpful and friendly service vs being ignored or followed around like I am going to steal something. That moment in Pretty Woman hits a little too close to home.

I am probably a bit more aware, as it has happened to me plenty of times over the years! I don't want to add any strikes if I can help it.*

*And the stores that treat me poorly are on the automatic veto list.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
It seems like I have a very different perspective than other posters here. I personally find huge differences in the way I am treated based on how "put together" I am (particularly out shopping). It can literally be the difference between having helpful and friendly service vs being ignored or followed around like I am going to steal something. That moment in Pretty Woman hits a little too close to home.

I am probably a bit more aware, as it has happened to me plenty of times over the years! I don't want to add any strikes if I can help it.*

So the good ol' clothes makes folks applies. Why? I ask for assistance and generally get it. Got it yesterday.

She had had on some ratty slippers. So? She is not you. She does not have your perception of how others perceive you.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:

OK. This did happen to me. Davids Bridal. I went in there one rainy day just to look around and I had on jeans and a black hoodie and my Harley boots and they looked at me like I was a piece of trash and treated me just the same.

They will not be getting my business. I have to wonder if I went in wearing a nice dress and some heels if they would have treated me the same. I don't think they would have.

I am happy to add that strike because people should not be judged on what they are wearing. My money would have spent just the same as anyone elses.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OK. This did happen to me. Davids Bridal. I went in there one rainy day just to look around and I had on jeans and a black hoodie and my Harley boots and they looked at me like I was a piece of trash and treated me just the same.

They will not be getting my business. I have to wonder if I went in wearing a nice dress and some heels if they would have treated me the same. I don't think they would have.

I am happy to add that strike because people should not be judged on what they are wearing. My money would have spent just the same as anyone elses.
Shopping isn't the best example as you have choice on where to shop. But there are lots of other examples where you don't have choice and that can have consequences. One of my coworkers (he is black) and has an Afro. He wears a ponytail on some days and his 'fro on others. When he wears his 'fro he does not wear a hoodie because people assume he is a thug. He dresses extra preppy to mitigate that possibility. If he is wearing a hoodie, he has specific clothing and shoes that are hoodie approved. Other items are not allowed because he has had too many bad circumstances.

We work in a building with a bank in the ground floor. We also have to use the parking meters (we get reimbursed). I usually get quarters at the bank downstairs. Never had an issue. He tried to one day, in his usual work outfit, our company hoodie and jeans with boat shoes. The bank tellers told him they only give quarters to account holders. I had picked up my quarters an hour before!!!! My coworker is a slight, polite, soft spoken guy of average height. Not at all intimidating looking. But apparently to the bank tellers he was.

Not everyone has to think about that on a regular basis, but the consequences can be pretty severe for some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty