Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,806,658 times

Advertisements

I don't notice any difference based on my dress, but certainly my attitude. If I'm friendly & helpful, then others are friendly & helpful. People pick up on the emotional vibe and respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:53 AM

18,462 posts, read 18,615,707 times
Things are different nowadays..the rich or well off dress as down as others, so it s hard to tell or be judged.personally I dont care what anyone thinks about my clothes....I wear my daughters castoffs..

Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM

18 posts, read 20,141 times
Based on your post, it only adds more proof sexism is still VERY strong here. Dresses of course are seen as "feminine" and by being a woman dressing your role as "feminine" people accept you because on an unconscious level they realize you "know your place in society."

I for one, can vouch seriously for this judgmental social demographic. I am what people would consider a goth. AKA, weirdo, freak, depressed all the time wtf is wrong with you etc. Goth is a style based on music, literature, and film. Some take it as just a look and could care less about how it came to be.

I can't tell you how many times a day people, even doctors, try to joke or ask "does that hurt" because of facial jewelry. I mean come on how stupid are-....ok fine I live in FL people are really stupid here holy ****.

Ive had things thrown at me, I've been asked "what are you" like I'm not human and kids don't smile back at me. However, take out the jewelery, dress in jeans and "normal" clothes...oh, NOW I'm a human being! I get responses, I don't get GLARED at, harassed by people....Oh and kids smile back at me, guys open doors etc. However, this response is ONLY from WHITE people!!! When I wear my comfortable wear, my goth clothes, I get compliments all over from black people!!! They love my shoes, they love the dreads, they love the jewelery, the men open doors for me, the women all want to touch my hair ask me how I did it, comment/compliment on my makeup etc. I don't know why but I have always gotten along better with black people in general. Maybe its because of where I lived, by boyfriend lived in a higher middle class all white area, he can't talk or relate to black people, but is always amazed when we go out how I get attention, GOOD attention and start conversations with only black people lol.

So like I said, it really is a social demographic thing. Some races really do take what you wear SO much more seriously about who you are as a person. Coming from a Colombian/Swedish background, my Swedish side of the family is very open, very tolerant. However, the Colombian side is MUCH more judgmental, and the times I have worn my goth clothes and times I've worn "normal' clothes and dresses MY OWN FAMILY responds to me so much differently. I mean in a more perfect world people wouldn't be so ignorant and realize that they are in no position to judge anyone, especially by the way you dress.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,022,080 times
Hate to say it, but we DO judge a book by its cover. At least initially.

Taken to the extreme, when you see a guy wearing a cap backwards, you immediately conclude "dufus". Right or wrong, it happens.

Dress for success. There is a LOT to it.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM

6,634 posts, read 4,743,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
There's always a post like this one. Why can't people have a discussion without needing to declare they "don't care" (while somehow caring enough to post)?

I don't care if posters necessarily expect or want to be taken seriously or not. I merely looking for their observations on how others perceive them, based on their appearance/attire. Whether they care or not is another story.
Not to be contrary, but I agree with PittChick on this one. Not that I don't care, but I don't consider the barista at Starbucks or the cashier at CVS to be anyone I'm caring to impress or be "taken seriously" by. And if they don't get my order right or a product rings up incorrectly, I will make sure it gets corrected. If it happens 3 times, you should be looking for a different Starbucks location.

Job interviews and such are completely different.

And I find that when I smile and make eye contact with people wherever I am...if I'm friendly...people as a rule tend to do the same.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,760,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never noticed a difference, either. I have a hard time being taken seriously, even in business attire. I have a baby face, and apparently that causes people to not take me seriously. I've noticed that women who are younger than I am, but have a naturally business-like face are instantly taken seriously, no matter what they're wearing (casual vs. more formal). I came across an article a few years ago about "facial maturity", and how it generally makes a big difference career-wise if you have it or lack it. Wearing a power suit (contrary to the "dress-for-success" theory) doesn't change your facial maturity quotient.
I relate to this completely. I have both a baby face and valley girl voice. Ugh! I do find that most of the time people with similar voices to mine are nicer. I think they empathize.

I decided at work just to not tell people my age until it is relevant. Hilariously some people just assume I am a work super genius instead of thinking I am older.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM

2,624 posts, read 4,027,358 times
I think done of you need to have a bit more fun. If you don't care what people think fine. I don't see the need to declare it to the world.

The Starbucks bit was more of a joke. I just want my Java Chip Frappuccino, Croissant, or whatever I happened to order. I chalk that up to poor management. However some people do get treated differently, whether we personally care or not. The guy who parks his BMW in front of the building gets good service. A guy with an English accent asks for more cream and they give him the half gallon for him to pour it himself. But I digress. This is merely a discussion to see if others notice getting more/less respect based on their presentation/appearance.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is necessarily sexism. I think nowadays people get used to people dressing casual or even to the point of sloppiness, that they take note when someone is well-presented.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,105,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Another poster's thread about perceptions and appearances, got me thinking: how are you perceived based on how you dress?

Anyone can feel free to share your experiences and thoughts.

Additional questions:

Ladies: do you think wearing dresses/skirts warrants a better response?
Men: do you give special attention to women in dresses/skirts?
At work, Seattle metro which is pretty casual, I wear a nice Polo and khakis in the summer. Similar in winter, with a few light sweaters and other long-sleeve shirts. Shoes are Sperry Topsiders or nice loafers. I've mostly ditched the formal shoes, though I do like them for other occasions. I have a couple nice mechanical watches...Omega and Rolex...plus a few that are interesting for other reasons. One of the few jewelry items men can successfully wear, other being wedding rings.

Point being, in the above "uniform" I'm at or slightly above-par for my place of business. I call it "Gen X Casual". Some of the Y's and Millennials are more-casual, but not much more. There are limits.

Too casual, you're looked at funny and may be perceived as slightly flakey. It just doesn't seem appropriate. Too formal, you look stiff in this environment. Like you're interviewing or something. Also not appropriate, and suggests you're compensating.

So I'm "perceived" as senior-level at the company, deceptively casual but with great brands in the details. Not designer brands, but nice stuff. That's what professionals wear around here, thus to be perceived as professional, act and groom like one.

Women have about the same level of casual, different styles, much more variety of course. Now, I personally think a woman in dress or skirt is waaaaaay more attractive, but that's me and may be Gen X or Boomer. It's rather rare, a shame in my view. Our GM...female...has a great sense of style that nails it just right: professional, executive, but with a bit of flair. Always.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,445,208 times
How seriously are you taken based on what you wear?

Unfortunately yes. That's why in court rooms. You are expected to dress formally. Especially if you are the defendant. They say the judge will give you harsher or easier punishment based on your attire.

Isn't it ridiculous?

Also if you are in ANY sales job especially real estate, you gotta bring it by dressing sharply. That's what I noticed when I watch the bravo shows on real estate, these agents' money ALL goes to buying these expensive clothes and shoes.

They always say your clients will not take you seriously or won't even give you the sales contract if you dress sloppily.

Again, ridiculous. But such is life.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,667,039 times
Yes, it is a REALITY support by mounds of data, that appearance, including how you dress, absolutely impacts people's perception of others.

I know, everyone in this forum has never once even noticed what anyone else wears let alone ever make an assumption about that person based on how they are dressed, but they are the exception not the rule.

The impact of dresses/skirts will vary based on your setting. I will admit to making assumptions about people, especially the interns we get every summer. At least one of the girls every year will show up wearing dresses. This is ridiculous in this setting. We are a research facility and clothing needs to be reflective of the work we do. My assumptions about those girls are that they are not as serious about the research, not as willing to jump in and do the work and so on. The irony is that they have to give a summary presentation of their research findings at the end of the summer and those same girls frequently cannot dress appropriately for that sort of setting either. Too dressed up in the lab, too casual in the conference room. Weird.

As for being taken seriously outside of the workplace there are only a handful of places I actively try to portray a certain look, car dealerships, my child's school, and that is all I can think of at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty