Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Basically any name that isn't "traditional" (read, European) in origin will make people look at you sideways. I wouldn't give my child a "ghetto" name, but not because there's something wrong with it.

Also, a lot of "ghetto" names are older names that have fallen out of use. Tyrone is Irish in origin but most Americans probably envision a black person when they hear it. Khadijah is Arabic and so is Jamal (though it's typically pronounced incorrectly).

Basically, white people can't handle anything besides Madison, Caitlin, Ashley, Meghan, Hunter, Steven etc. If you want your child to avoid being pre-judged because of their name, you have to give them one of these names. Again, not because there's anything wrong with a more ethnic name, but because most people can't handle it and automatically think less of you.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like being lumped together with all other "white" people. Believe it or not, but people of European ancestry do have different cultures, histories and customs, just as do people of African, Asian, or Middle Eastern ancestry. I could be mistaken, but I doubt you'd come across many quintessential African-American names in, say, Kenya or Bermuda.

FYI, a couple of these names you've listed may be common in the US, but they'd far less common, if not unheard of, in most European countries (and one or two are far too cutesy for my "white" taste).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
But can a person really help what their parents have named them?
If he or she is an adult and have the money to change his or her name, then Yes.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Basically any name that isn't "traditional" (read, European) in origin will make people look at you sideways. I wouldn't give my child a "ghetto" name, but not because there's something wrong with it.

Also, a lot of "ghetto" names are older names that have fallen out of use. Tyrone is Irish in origin but most Americans probably envision a black person when they hear it. Khadijah is Arabic and so is Jamal (though it's typically pronounced incorrectly).

Basically, white people can't handle anything besides Madison, Caitlin, Ashley, Meghan, Hunter, Steven etc. If you want your child to avoid being pre-judged because of their name, you have to give them one of these names. Again, not because there's anything wrong with a more ethnic name, but because most people can't handle it and automatically think less of you.
Basically, this white person should not fall under your class of white people. I do not think less of a person because of their name.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I do not think less of a person because of their name.
What if his name was Adolf and he was born after 1945?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
What if his name was Adolf and he was born after 1945?
Well, I actually have an uncle with the middle name Adolf. Do I hate him? No. It is a name. My grandmother has passed now, but I think it must have been a family name. I am pretty sure she did not think of Hitler when naming my uncle.

Why would I judge a person with that name? Because they had something to do with what Adolf Hitler had something to with? That is just insane.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Well, I suppose little Adolf Hitler Campbell and his sister, JoyceLynn Aryan National Campbell, might've had a tough go of it.

New Jersey parents who named their children Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation will not get them back | Mail Online

But something tells those are no longer the names of the children in question.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
no not at all agnus is beautiful name.......

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:

You sure about European? "European" doesn't do well to describe names that are accepted. Names like Svetlana, Giacomo, Pablo, Anastasios, and Eoghan are all European and I don't think people look at them as not "ethnic" or look at these names as well accepted or popular use among US born people.

If you want to get down to it, names of English descent (and I include Anglicized versions of other languages as well) are pretty much the safest bet in the US.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like being lumped together with all other "white" people. Believe it or not, but people of European ancestry do have different cultures, histories and customs, just as do people of African, Asian, or Middle Eastern ancestry. I could be mistaken, but I doubt you'd come across many quintessential African-American names in, say, Kenya or Bermuda.

FYI, a couple of these names you've listed may be common in the US, but they'd far less common, if not unheard of, in most European countries (and one or two are far too cutesy for my "white" taste).
This. I'm not picturing many people in the Mediterranean, the Baltic countries, Central Europe, or the Balkans naming their kids "Madison" or "Hunter". But, of course, those names are "European"

Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
I was talking to a friend who said that when they're first introduced to someone and learn their name for the very first time, they sometimes don't think the name is a good fit for that person? I guess it's as though they were expecting a different name... maybe one they like better?

Anyone feel the same way? Maybe you can explain it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty