Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you look though your state adoptive children's listings, you will come across a veritable plethora of very badly named children. These are children who are for adoption because their parent's rights were terminated because of abuse or neglect.

Very popular in my state for girls include Nevaeh, Heaven, Angel, Krylstle, Tiffany, Britney and many faux French names.

With boys it seems to be the "ayden" parade. Plus Bible names - Jedediah, and many Jacobs and Jeremiahs. (there is nothing wrong with biblical names, and "Jeremiah" is a family name in my own extended family. But, there are more than one would expect to see.

The made up hyphenated and apostrophized names are ubiquitous and are not relegated to any one race.
D'artangue and Sha'quan are as likely to be white as black.

Naming after expensive substances and items is also popular.

Mink, Diamond, Mercedes (yes, I know it's a real name) are but a few.

Another strange thing that I found are children with names of baby boomers.
Presumably the grandparents. Which is fine if your grandmother was named a classic name like Stephen or Elizabeth.

My actual very early 60s first name? I'd pass on that. Or my DHs name. They both peaked around 1962 and won't be back for a long time.
Mercedes is an actual name--French I think. And there was an actress named Mercedes McCambridge. So Mercedes for a female is not a made up name.

Otherwise, interesting post.

I named my kids names that I thought sounded good with their last name. And I leaned toward traditional Britishy names. But my firstborn's name was picked out when I was in my teens. Any others do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
how many FELIXES do you think are on the terrorist watch list? just sayin ..
Depends on what is his passport.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Naming a child some weird name is usually not beneficial to that child.
I am one of those. My parents to this day don't understand what I am talking about

When I turned 18 I starting going by my middle name. My father freaked out because I was a JR and he was SR. Sorry but 18 years of torture was bad enough.

Once I changed my name I felt SO MUCH BETTER about myself. I love to hear my name being called.

Sometimes l need to still use the old name for Credit Card purchases and Passport but at least I can escape the torture shortly afterwards.

What's my god forsaken name you ask ??? You won't get it from me

Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
You know what doesn't help a kid? Naming him some obscure Old Celtic name with the original Celtic spelling (Welsh to be specific which is 10x worse than Irish) while he grows up in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood and then goes to a mostly Black High School.

So parents, do your kids a favor and give them names that people can pronounce.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You know what doesn't help a kid? Naming him some obscure Old Celtic name with the original Celtic spelling (Welsh to be specific which is 10x worse than Irish) while he grows up in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood and then goes to a mostly Black High School.

So parents, do your kids a favor and give them names that people can pronounce.
People can mangle many names they shouldn't.

My daughters name is Chloe. Not a difficult name to pronounce. People call her Cleo, Chow, Chol, Cholo, Clare and another dozen variations I cannot even fathom. Why? I have no idea. It isn't even a weird spelling.

But considering the name has a lot of meaning to her father and I, she is happy to have a name that wasn't just picked out of a book.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am one of those. My parents to this day don't understand what I am talking about

When I turned 18 I starting going by my middle name. My father freaked out because I was a JR and he was SR. Sorry but 18 years of torture was bad enough.

Once I changed my name I felt SO MUCH BETTER about myself. I love to hear my name being called.

Sometimes l need to still use the old name for Credit Card purchases and Passport but at least I can escape the torture shortly afterwards.

What's my god forsaken name you ask ??? You won't get it from me
I know a guy of Russian parentage named Maximillian Maximillianovich __________ (last name). I bet you can't beat that!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you are just jealous that attention is taken away from one of your 20 threads about feet, sweat or smells.
But my topics still relates to F &B, which is all that matters for threads here. Name threads don't belong here, as they are not a subset of fashion & beauty, but rather evolve from family traditions and genealogy. Ship these threads there.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
But my topics still relates to F &B, which is all that matters for threads here. Name threads don't belong here, as they are not a subset of fashion & beauty, but rather evolve from family traditions and genealogy. Ship these threads there.
Adi, Beauty is a very subjective thing that goes beyond just ornaments and scents. In this thread we are exploring the effect of uncommon names on the perception of a person's overall beauty.... does it diminish it or have little or no effect? What do you think?

p.s. sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my earlier post.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Adi, Beauty is a very subjective thing that goes beyond just ornaments and scents. In this thread we are exploring the effect of uncommon names on the perception of a person's overall beauty.... does it diminish it or have little or no effect? What do you think?

p.s. sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my earlier post.
I really don't think it does. One can shorten their names to sound more attractive. Many Indian men do this, including myself.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
An icky name for a good looking person = A hidden treasure chest .
Hmm... it's possible you may have something there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty