Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Guess I look old because I straighten my hair and cover the greys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM

112 posts, read 131,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I think women who do it because they are trying to be someone they are not (ie, black women who wear weaves or perm their hair because they hate their natural hair and think it's not good enough) have bigger issues than just "looking old".
Do you also believe that white women who get implants and color their hair blond hate themselves as well? How about Asian women who get eyelid surgery?

Let's not single out any one race because lots of women do various things to alter their looks. At the end of the day, it's the individual's decision and choice.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Do you also believe that white women who get implants and color their hair blond hate themselves as well? How about Asian women who get eyelid surgery?

Let's not single out any one race because lots of women do various things to alter their looks. At the end of the day, it's the individual's decision and choice.
I believe that SOME do...of course.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I believe that SOME do...of course.
Ok, but this can be said for many races of women, so I'm not sure why you decided to single out black women. Some simply like the versatility of hair weaves. I don't personally wear a weave, but I don't see a problem with it, especially if it looks good.

One of my favorite fashion blogger's (Patricia Bright) always sports a fabulous weave:

She appears to be very confident. I'm sure there are some out there who may hate themselves, but let's not generalize.

LOSE THAT BELLY! MY DIET UPGRADE- SMOOTHIES, MEALS ETC - YouTube

Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,477 times
Pretty sure I said that I said some and not all. I'm also pretty sure I said some women of all ethnicities are also guilty of doing the same. I singled out black women because I am a black woman so I care less about why other ethnicities do this than women of my own.

Calm down...it's really not that deep. K?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure I said that I said some and not all. I'm also pretty sure I said some women of all ethnicities are also guilty of doing the same. I singled out black women because I am a black woman so I care less about why other ethnicities do this than women of my own.

Calm down...it's really not that deep. K?
I'm not saying that it's "that deep," but I will admit that I dislike it when people try to limit another person's fashion style or hair options. I've heard plenty of people (mostly online) criticize black women for not all choosing to wear an Afro and no makeup, but rarely do these people ever mention other races of women. It appears as though they are given a free pass to express themselves however they wish.

As an aside, I don't think there's anything wrong with an Afro. My natural hair is curly and lovely, so I love big hair, but I do have a problem when some people believe that everyone should wear their hair unprocessed, uncolored etc, just because they choose to do so.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
This is kinda funny because if it's done subtlety, OP and others, you probably wouldn't be able to tell yet could make her look a lot prettier.

(Eg- concealer, lip gloss, blush, highlights, etc)

As for why you think it makes them look "older" it is probably because she is doing it too thickly and makes her features look more harsh.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM

210 posts, read 245,980 times
That's an extremely general statement but in certain instances the "enhancements" might not be flattering. The way I see it, that's their choice. It doesn't negatively affect me

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Well, I understood the OP as "unnatural" hair colors and contacts, etc., and I would kind of agree with that (especially on older women)

As far as makeup, weaves, natural looking hair dyes and colors etc., it is all about an individual's choice, most of us want to look the best we can which may involve one or more of the above. I have gray hair mixed with my dark brown, and I am coloring it. It looks very natural, and 1000% better than with the gray. Takes years and years off my appearance, too. I plan to color it as long as I can. Other than that I use mostly subtle makeup.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
I think women who do it because they are trying to be someone they are not (ie, black women who wear weaves or perm their hair because they hate their natural hair and think it's not good enough) have bigger issues than just "looking old".
Amen, sister. Trying to look like women of other races, instead of embracing their own unique hair texture. But how can you blame them, the standard of beauty in western society is long, straight hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty