Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times

Advertisements

I'm with everyone who says naturals are boring and there are no rules, etc. However, I think the point of such lists have been misunderstood by some. Instead of rules, they are suggestions of pieces that are versatile and can form a backbone to the rest of your wardrobe.

For example - say you have a fun, colorful dress & heels, but it's a bit chilly out, then that neutral trench will come in pretty handy. You could have a hot pink one which goes with that dress, but then it's less likely to go with the clashing blouse you plan to wear tomorrow with jeans, which will also require a lightweight coat over. The classic trench comes in really handy for many, many outfits then.

So the idea is not to make these pieces the focus, but instead to use them as supports for your more fun, interesting, personal pieces. They are not rules, but rather tried-and-true versatile pieces that you can wear for many, many years. This is why they often speak of "investing" in such pieces, aka, spending a bit more on a high quality, well-fitting version since it's likely something you'll wear for a long time. Whereas the more fun, colorful stuff may only look current for a few years and then it's dated or you're sick of it. Yes, it is harder to find these because the industry makes money with trends, not investment pieces you buy once a decade. And yes, as noted, you will really have to hunt for a great fit & quality construction/material, since the plainness of these pieces means quality is more apparent, and you want them to last with frequent wear.

Of course, these are just suggestions, so not every one will be useful for every woman and her lifestyle, taste or body type.

I've never had much use for a very classic black trouser....they always feel too stuffy to me & I have a hard time with classic pants (small waist/bubble butt issue), so I prefer a black pencil skirt in any occasion that would call for it. So I usually go for a more currently "in" cut (ie. 10 years ago I had low waist bootcut black pants; now I have high-waisted skinny black pants which I find more versatile than the former). This means the pants aren't being worn past a few years, so they are not mainstays in my wardrobe. A classic pair would probably be more of a mid-rise, straight leg, but that cut is hard for me to wear.

I also am a clotheshorse and have enough coats where I have a classic black pea coat and a cropped wool houndstooth print coat that goes with less, but I get surprising milage out of.

My personal mainstays which are a bit more funky and less dull:

- Gold ballet flats - they got popular nearly a decade ago and have not gone anywhere since. No matter how many fun colors and prints for flats are out the, there is something about the gold that instantly adds something to an outfit. Plus, metallics are like pseudo-neutrals - they go with a lot. I've gone through several pairs of gold ballet flats over the years because I wear them a lot. They go with jeans, casual sundresses & maxi dresses, dress skirts, etc. They make for nice "back up pair" shoes if you're wearing heels you fear may not last the day or night. Not all gold ballet flats are created equal, and I prefer those without a bow (too kiddy), no heel or wedge of any kind, a wide, low cut on the toe (higher cut looks more child-likeagain) and preferably a slight texture (my favorite pair had a subtle snakeskin effect). Leather is a must if you wear them constantly like I do.

- Black fishnet tights - Even in eras where tights & sheer nylons were not in (now they happen to be back), the one leg wear item that did not look frumpy or dated was fishnets. They are pretty much always sexy and a great alternative to other leg wear. I think it was in the late 90s/early 00s that bare legs were the thing, but I tended to bruise easy as a teen, so I'd wear fishnets at those times when I wanted to wear a skirt/dress but needed to cover a bruise. It stood out in a good way. Different size netting will make the difference in how provocative they are, of course. I always have a few pairs in different size netting, for different styles & occasions. Now that tights/nylons are in again, I wear these less since there are more options, but that's good so I will not tire of them.

- Black, cropped, fitted leather jacket - If you invest in a lather jacket, go fitted and cropped. It looks ways better than anything large or loose, and it's a pretty classic piece that doesn't tend to go out of style. I bought mine over 5 years ago for $300 and still wear it constantly. I bough it VERY snug and now it's comfortably fit (leather will tend to loosen in time). This is something worth spending a bit more for and NOT compromising on fit and details. I hunted far & low for the perfect one. Mine has 3/4 sleeves and enough zippers to have an edge without being too literally a motorcycle jacket. This also goes with a lot, and is a really good lightweight jacket option that can add instant interest to an outfit.

- Leopard Print Cardigan - I have a 3/4 sleeve leopard print, button-up cardigan that I bought over 5 years ago also, and I wear it constantly still. It goes well over soooo many things. Leopard print is a great print because of its colors - it often has brown, gold and black, which are nice naturals and will mix well with other colors, yet it's not a boring print at all. I wear this over a peach vintage party dress, over various colored tees with jeans, over a little black dress, buttoned up with a black belt & skirt, etc. It's extremely versatile and again, makes everything a bit more fun, especially when mixed with other colors or textures. It can look everything from cute to sexy to even professional (ie. white collard shirt underneath, black pants/skirt & more conservative heel). It's also a nice option to throw over something in case it gets chilly but not cold. I live in CA, so we need those lightweight options a lot.

- Champagne trench coat with a sheen - My alternative to the dull trench coat, which I begrudgingly admit is extremely useful. I happened to find a trench in a really nice champagne color with a sheen to it. It really does go well with a lot, and is another nice lightweight jacket option. It goes with jeans, cocktail dresses, etc. My friend has a near identical one with a leopard print lining that shows when you roll up the sleeves, and I'm jealous cuz it's even better than mine :P. There is something really chic about it, but more so because we got ours in a slightly more unique color and with a sheen, but it's still just as versatile (if not more - I think it looks much better with dressier stuff than a flat beige color). I like mine more fitted and shorter than some, and it has a nice ruffle of sorts on the back. I look for little details that make a basic "special" without ruining its versatility.

- Plain white/off-white knit blouses with little frills - The OP mentions "tee shirts", but I think she means knit blouses (as opposed to buttoned shirts) that can be worn dressy or casual. These are super handy for pairing with more funky, fun prints or layering, but I still like when they have a special detail. I usually go for white and off-white, and with my body I prefer wide necklines and a cap sleeve. I have two right now, and one is fitted with a sheer flutter sleeve and a slight "ballet" feel and the other is looser with a cowl neck that is almost off the shoulder and with rucking down the front. They both look good with jeans or skirts, can be dressy or casual, etc. They look good with all the printed pants and skirts I have, as it's hard to have a matching blouse for each (and sometime that's too match-matchy - a neutral breaks it up). I have black & other color tops, but for a basic, the white and off-white comes in the most handy, and I never go for a plain one - it must always have a "special" sleeve or neckline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have it up to here (raises hand and flaps it 3 feet above my head) with neutrals ANYTHING.

The beige and taupe army have taken over the world. Neutral home furnishings, neutral clothing, neutral house paint -- gross and awful and I am SO tired of it. The world has color in it! USE IT.

TO me -- neutrals are all about fear. Fear of doing something wrong.

We do neutrals for all of the above and add color with accessories with clothing and inside of our home.
The outside is currently a very light blueish gray.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I have a camel cape. But I've got my eye on a dark turquoise or perhaps purple or burgundy wool coat as my staple one. To replace my black wool peacoat. The past few years it hasn't been chilly enough to bother with a wool coat. I did get a navy trench with polka dots.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have a camel cape. But I've got my eye on a dark turquoise or perhaps purple or burgundy wool coat as my staple one. To replace my black wool peacoat. The past few years it hasn't been chilly enough to bother with a wool coat. I did get a navy trench with polka dots.
Purple is my neutral. Purple wool coat, purple pants. Think about it--almost anything goes with it; pink, reds, blues, teal, lavender, midnight blue... even the right brown can work.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
- Champagne trench coat with a sheen - My alternative to the dull trench coat, which I begrudgingly admit is extremely useful. I happened to find a trench in a really nice champagne color with a sheen to it. It really does go well with a lot, and is another nice lightweight jacket option. It goes with jeans, cocktail dresses, etc. My friend has a near identical one with a leopard print lining that shows when you roll up the sleeves, and I'm jealous cuz it's even better than mine :P. There is something really chic about it, but more so because we got ours in a slightly more unique color and with a sheen, but it's still just as versatile (if not more - I think it looks much better with dressier stuff than a flat beige color). I like mine more fitted and shorter than some, and it has a nice ruffle of sorts on the back. I look for little details that make a basic "special" without ruining its versatility.
I like this. Invent your own neutral! The gold ballet flat idea has been tempting me lately, too. Especially pinkish-gold (since I'm kind of a purple freak ).

Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I dont follow those rules.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Well sorry, but in the 80's and 90's, when I wore mostly black, I lived in NY and Black was a color, not a neutral. Actually, it wasn't just a color, it was the color.

I don't recall anyone saying that there were rules, just a way some people pulled a wardrobe together that worked for them. Muted colors were a mainstay in the area in which I worked, when I worked in fashion, I could be more flexible, but, more often than not you could tell who worked which department just by certain dress styles. Today, things are a lot more flexible even in corporate America, but back in the day, you dressed accordingly. You didn't walk into certain offices wearing bright pink without raising eyebrows, spring, summer or fall that's just how it was. I imagine it's more regional as well.

BTW, I loved my grey cape, my black cape and my cream colored one too. I too wish I could sport my capes, but the weather here, in rarely allows it. I miss my riding style boots and Russian style hats. Oh well it's a trade off for never again falling on ice and not getting frostbite.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-30-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Well sorry, but in the 80's and 90's, when I wore mostly black, I lived in NY and Black was a color, not a neutral. Actually, it wasn't just a color, it was the color.
Much to my shock, that NY black made it out to California in the 90's. It never made it to the Pacific NW, where I was living, but it infiltrated California. So when I went down there for an elderly aunt's birthday and the gathering of our clan, imagine my surprise when everyone showed up in black! I thought, my gawd, it's a birthday, not a funeral! She's not dead yet! I wore bright colors, because it was summer. I didn't get the memo that black was the new summer bright.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Purple is my neutral. Purple wool coat, purple pants. Think about it--almost anything goes with it; pink, reds, blues, teal, lavender, midnight blue... even the right brown can work.
Purple is really versatile, true. I love carrying purple handbags for that reason.

If you tend towards certain colors, then it is easy to make those a basic too. For some reason I have a lot of clothes that include or look good with a light teal shade, and I currently have 3 pairs of shoes in that color that are worn out from all the wear. It surprisingly goes with so much in my wardrobe.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Purple is really versatile, true. I love carrying purple handbags for that reason.

If you tend towards certain colors, then it is easy to make those a basic too. For some reason I have a lot of clothes that include or look good with a light teal shade, and I currently have 3 pairs of shoes in that color that are worn out from all the wear. It surprisingly goes with so much in my wardrobe.
I love teal and turquoise/aqua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty